Testimony to Squats

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%

Testimony to Squats

Ok so i started weightlifting in June this year. I spent 4 months doing splits, protein shake, eating like a beast, everything a good little weightlifter should do. With one exception, my gym didn't have a squat rack. I thought to myself, psh its only one excersise it can't be that important, so i left them out.

I was DEAD WRONG!

After 4 months, i had gotten literally no where. I had made no gains what so ever. So i got fed up and decided to start all over, new workout, new gym, new schedule, even new protein.

So i switched to a different gym and put squats and more compound lifts into my workout. and HOLY SH*T!

I started on Stronglifts 5x5 and in one month I've gained 20lbs, my squat has gone up 60 lbs, my row has gone up 85lbs, and my bench has gone up 50lbs. IN ONE MONTH!

To anyone starting out or struggling, do more squats, do them with good form, and i guarantee you will see results.

June-
    163lbs
    Squat:120(guess)
    Bench: 90lbs
    Row: 100lbs

Begining of Sept.-
    167lbs
    Squat: 120lbs
    Bench: 100lbs
    Row:100lbs

Today(Oct 13th)
    185lbs
    Squat: 180lbs
    Bench: 140lbs
    Row: 185lbs( I can row my own weight F*** YEAH!)

Simply put DO SQUATS!

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.36%

Yup! Deadlifts too. I didn't squat or deadlift for several years because they kind of intimidated me and I didn't really think I needed them. Doing those exercises not only made me sore beyond belief but I packed on the pounds and started making gains in every aspect of my training. I just feel like squats and deadlifts work muscles I don't even know I have.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

damn. thats one heck of an improvement. great job brotha.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    damn. thats one heck of an improvement. great job brotha.
    lol thanks, if only i had listened to you more when is started
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.96%

im not knocking the squat by any means. . . . . .but almost 20lbs in 1 1/2 months?. . . . seems like maybe you had some additional help
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%

if you've never done them before, its very similar to going to the gym for the first time. one month gains are unusually high, then taper off drastically. 20 pounds though is probably quite rare.

even if he did have help, 20 pounds in a month is phenomenal gain.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

The squat kills me,.. that being said though, every time I squat my whole body gets pumped,... it's as if I can feel myself growing! Great job NF, keep up the good work.
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.91%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Cloud is that your shoulder? Man I just realized that, it looks like a side of a pig hanging at the slaughter house (no offense). Man you have some big arms and shoulders . Now to the tread.. I too have noticed that as I do more squats and leg presses, I have achieved more gains through out. On the issue of suat form, are you guys going all the way down till your butt touches or just to the 90 degree mark?
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%

Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    Cloud is that your shoulder? Man I just realized that, it looks like a side of a pig hanging at the slaughter house (no offense). Man you have some big arms and shoulders . Now to the tread.. I too have noticed that as I do more squats and leg presses, I have achieved more gains through out. On the issue of suat form, are you guys going all the way down till your butt touches or just to the 90 degree mark?
    thanks ABN - my avatar is my tricep.

squats are so weird in that we all know that the bigger muscles release the most testosterone form your testes. the biggest muscle is the glutes. the longest muscle is the quads. i would love to see a document - any document - that says which muscle is releasing the most testosterone.

because of this, i do squats till my hams hit my calves (moderate weight), then do squats to the 90 degree plane another day going heavy. its easier to just get two exercises in that does damage rather than not get the desired effect at all. i'll do some research on this to give you a more definitive answer.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I mix it up also, but primarily I do 90 degrees because I find I actually cheat myself with momentum on ATG squats. I am trying to work on this lately, I mean not bouncing at the bottom,... can't be good for my knees!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.11%

It's funny how so many people despise leg training, until they actually get into it and figure out how beneficial it really is.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.91%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I am kind of the same with the all the way down with light weight, then maintaining a 90 degree with the heavier weight. On hack squats I go all the way down. I just started splitting my let routine, quads one day, and hams another day. So far I like that routine.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.84%

I love squats and deads..........screw the rest
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%

Quote Originally Posted by KLaw666 View Post
    im not knocking the squat by any means. . . . . .but almost 20lbs in 1 1/2 months?. . . . seems like maybe you had some additional help
    All i take as a supp is protein powder, and creatine(5g b4, 5 after). other then that just good clean squats and compound lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    are you guys going all the way down till your butt touches or just to the 90 degree mark?
    I go past the 90 just a bit, if you havent been doing this it makes it a whole lot harder and im my opinion a whole lot more effective. You may have to drop the weight because comming up from that last little bit below the 90 is the single hardest part of a squat, so do it.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13%

Quote Originally Posted by NerdFlexd View Post
    lol thanks, if only i had listened to you more when is started
    It's really nice to see a "non-squatter" come around and admit to being wrong! Good work man
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.65%

I have a buddy who just gained 10 pounds in a month or so after he started training with me. He looks a lot bigger, too.

squats are so weird in that we all know that the bigger muscles release the most testosterone form your testes. the biggest muscle is the glutes. the longest muscle is the quads. i would love to see a document - any document - that says which muscle is releasing the most testosterone.
    It isn't so much those muscles specifically, IMO, as it is just the massive systemic overload from having a heavy bar on your back and going through a massive range of motion. The deep squat has a longer range of motion than any other lift besides the snatch and clean and jerk.

Think about it, the leg press, etc would trigger just as much hormonal release if it didn't have something to do with heavy spinal loading and a long range of motion.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%

Quote Originally Posted by conwict View Post
    It isn't so much those muscles specifically, IMO, as it is just the massive systemic overload from having a heavy bar on your back and going through a massive range of motion. The deep squat has a longer range of motion than any other lift besides the snatch and clean and jerk.
    i like the way you think. by hormonal if you mean testosterone, you're probably right. if by hormonal you mean test and GH, i'd disagree. overhead squats release more growth hormone than any other exercise. why? because your stabilizer muscles are holding the weight up. by that theory and having the weight on your back during squats, you slightly move your back as you move up and down (no homo). also, your traps tense up immensely with the weights on there. you can't get that effect laying down, where your legs and glutes are isolated.

its like comparing deads to rack deads. you won't get the same muscles involved, but it will still put size on you.

all the major lifts - squats, deads, bench, release huge amounts of testosterone as well as growth hormone. leg extensions would release a huge amount of testosterone, probably the same amount as squats, but because of the isolation - glutes and quads only, you wouldn't have as much growth hormone release from leg extensions as you would from squats.

i'm not 100% sure of this, but the hypothesis sounds right. input please, as i'd love to discuss this more. growth hormone release is not understood to the degree testosterone release is

growth hormone is the 2nd best muscle builder, and given the right workout and diet, you can spike it almost as high as you can from your first REM cycle of sleep - see anabolic diet + total body workouts.

by having both testosterone as well as growth hormone working for you, you have a tremendous opportunity for growth.

those two exercises you listed - the snatch and clean and jerk, as well as any olympic lift are incredible growth hormone boosters.

reps for making me think about this.
  18. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.5%

I effnlove it, I lifted for years with only weak leg training and then I go to a new gym, start sqautting my ass off and boom, i went from squatting 225 like once to getting 300 for a double in maybe two and a half months, not amazing but I'll take it!

nothin but a peanut.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.58%

ya good work bro those are some good gains.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.65%

suncloud,

Thanks. To be honest I'm not sure I can discuss this much further without baseless speculation.

I have done overhead squats in the past, fairly extensively (got up to 155 or so, deep of course, in sets). Excellent exercise. Definite systemic effects.

I'm just not sure I can agree about the leg extensions and squats releasing the same amount of test...You aren't exposing the quads to the same amount of weight even if the quads aren't the sole mover in squats. Kind of like heavy bench or board press or floor press: although the triceps aren't the sole mover they are still exposed to a lot more weight than any single-joint exercise.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%

Quote Originally Posted by conwict View Post
    I'm just not sure I can agree about the leg extensions and squats releasing the same amount of test
    hrm. i keep thinking about the sled (leg press) when i hear "leg extension". sorry. my comparison was supposed to be between squats and the sled.

i would bet between this and squats, a similar if not 100% equal amount of test would be released. growth hormone because of no back movement on the sled would be a very different thing though.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.47%

my comparison was supposed to be between squats and the sled.
    IMHO i would still say squats would give you a greater amount of hormones release because they do incorporate alot more of the body. True, they dont use as many stabilizers as an olympic squat, but it requires alot more muscles then the sled which isolates just the legs.
    just my educated guess
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.65%

hrm. i keep thinking about the sled (leg press) when i hear "leg extension". sorry. my comparison was supposed to be between squats and the sled.

i would bet between this and squats, a similar if not 100% equal amount of test would be released. growth hormone because of no back movement on the sled would be a very different thing though.
    Suncloud,

Perhaps. Sounds like something that needs a detailed study to go any further than speculation.

My hypothesis is that squats would create more because they are involving more, and bigger, muscles - glutes and spinal erectors, obliques, transversus abdominus...

The other question is, what is the optimal volume and weight (%1rm, obviously more is better generally), i.e. amount of work, in either exercise. Here is an article that may provide some useful info, and I think it even cites some studies.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...t_testosterone
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%

i'd love to see a study on that. thats the random stuff that really interests me - whether test levels would be the same, and how much of a lesser growth hormone response you would get.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats vs. Hack Squats
    By gunzblazin1x in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  2. Parallel Squats versus Ass-to-grass squats
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
  3. Barbell hack squats vs. machine hack squats
    By islandmagic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1