Overtraining for high level athletes?

The Anarchist

Awards
I was just wondering about the workouts/routines professional and amateur athletes have to go through and the effects it has on their bodies. I know they're already in much better shape than an average person but take this guy...

Buakaw Por Pramuk....he's one of the best (if not the best) kickboxer/stand up fighter in the world and he trains EIGHT HOURS A DAY, 6 days a week and the man is extremely ripped. But isn't that way too much on his body to handle even with supplements like whey and creatine? I was on the swim team in high school and practice was 2 hours a day and I was worn out almost every day same with football practice in Freshman year.

Guys like Michael Phelps who do 5-6 hours straight of intensive swim everyday are in such good shape. IMO, this contradicts the common theory that its overtraining if you do more than lift 4 days a week or if you intense cardio for more than half an hour, etc.

Now it brings us to my question, I lift heavy 3 times a week and do cardio 2-3 times, I want to start doing some more things related to cardio like hitting the bags again and sparring cause I used to do it a lot last year, and I was also thinking about trying out this wrestling club at my school and they go at it pretty hard even for beginners and their schedule is on the same days that I lift, so I was wondering if its even possible that doing this (and making up by eating more) will not stunt my muscle gains.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i think this is a case of great genetics. i don't think most people could do this, and get anything positive from it.

remember that we have different muscle fibers, some for strength, some for endurance. he might have an unusually high amount of endurance fibers (like 90% or more) and this is the only way he can train.

i'd be curious as to what the MMA guys in the forum have to say about this, as i really don't know the perfect answer.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to remember that they are genetic freaks and their careers also do not last long. Most Thai fighters are completely broken down by the end of their fighting days. I can train for 3-4 hours a day for about 8 weeks, but after that, I start to have CNS fatigue. Weight training also causes more CNS fatigue than MT or swimming, which is something that most endurance athletes do not have in their routines.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
You have to remember that they are genetic freaks and their careers also do not last long. Most Thai fighters are completely broken down by the end of their fighting days. I can train for 3-4 hours a day for about 8 weeks, but after that, I start to have CNS fatigue. Weight training also causes more CNS fatigue than MT or swimming, which is something that most endurance athletes do not have in their routines.

exactly ie. power lifters, do u think they train with 90% of ther max every day Hell no
also u have to remember that haevy ass sqauting is a lot differnt cell damage wise than swimming and running or other types of cardio

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Basically what these guys have been saying is true, they are genetic freaks, or the next step in our evolutionary chain or however you choose to look at it.
NOT only that but they work up to what they are at. They didn't just decide "oh i think ill be an athlete", and then start hitting it 8 hours
Micheal phelps for example, has probably been on a swim team since before he could walk.
The 8 hours of working our and such amazing feats needs both genetic awesomeness and years of working up to.