Beginner and DOMS

nellocon

Awards
Hi All,
I most certainly am new to bodybuilding and after a long time of being skinny am starting to do something about it...

Anyway my question refers to DOMS. I can remember before going into a gym and doing some sets of exercises (bench, squats etc.). However, the next day i was absolutely crippled from DOMS. It was sore to even lift my hands. As a beginner should i expect to see DOMS alot or was it a case that i lifted too much too heavy on my first day back then. I was so sore that i never did go back to the gym.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
DOMS is the best thing in the world. we look forward to the pain, since it means we're growing. as a newbie in the gym, DOMS are the most unmotivating thing in the world, because you're out for a week. once your body gets used to it, DOMS only lasts for a couple days.

What i would do is try going much lighter. Lighter so much that you barely feel it. As a newbie, you'll feel it the next day anyways. As a newbie, and being skinny, here's a workout for you to try:

Squats - 4x10 with 75 lbs
Bench - 4x10 with 75 lbs
Deadlifts - 4x10 with 95 lbs
Chin ups - 4x10 unweighted
Dips - 4x10 unweighted
Military Press - 4x10 75 lbs

do them as supersets (two exercises in a row with no breaks) then take a 30 second break before beginning the superset again, take a 1 minute break before starting the next superset. you'll still feel it the next day, but the DOMS won't kill you. Next time you feel up to going to the gym (3-4 days) add 5 pounds to each workout, or more based on what your strongest point is. once you can do this every other day you'll put on some major size provided you're eating right. i promise you that.

nellocon

Awards
Thanks man, thats the kind of advice i was looking for because i was pretty sure i was lifting too much too fast.

Ok so right now im 5'10 and about 155lbs. I am starting to put things in place to start gaining size (Diet etc).

In the gym im going to start off doing:
Squats x3
Deadlifts x3
BenchPress x3

As for the weight i am not sure yet. However i will take your advice and go very very light ramping t up 5lbs every workout.

Thanks

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, thats the kind of advice i was looking for because i was pretty sure i was lifting too much too fast.

Ok so right now im 5'10 and about 155lbs. I am starting to put things in place to start gaining size (Diet etc).

In the gym im going to start off doing:
Squats x3
Deadlifts x3
BenchPress x3

As for the weight i am not sure yet. However i will take your advice and go very very light ramping t up 5lbs every workout.

Thanks

solid routine for a beginner.......dont let ego and pride fool you.

form first, poundage second....... you do those core lifts, eat right and sleep.........the sky is the limit.........I PROMISE.

good luck and lift hard

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
Hi All,
I most certainly am new to bodybuilding and after a long time of being skinny am starting to do something about it...

Anyway my question refers to DOMS. I can remember before going into a gym and doing some sets of exercises (bench, squats etc.). However, the next day i was absolutely crippled from DOMS. It was sore to even lift my hands. As a beginner should i expect to see DOMS alot or was it a case that i lifted too much too heavy on my first day back then. I was so sore that i never did go back to the gym.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
It's normal, especially for a beginner trainee.

DOMS is a result of microdamge to the cell membrane and inflammation at the neuromuscular junction, and if extremely severe can actually reduce protein synthesis and hinder growth. In this case it is most likely because you are poorly conditioned and have recruit new fiberal patterns.

DOMS is not an indicator of growth, so although some love it, it can be counterproductive. Although everyone's different.

KM

tirtle88

tirtle88

Awards
I love delayed onset muscle soreness its the greatest feeling in the world maybe im a pain junkie lol:saw:

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
as does glutamine (sure, bash glutamine but it works for me)
Yep, L-Glutamine is the best for stopping DOMS. 5g in the Post WO shake and another 5g in pre-bed shake and DOMS are are in control. I still have the feeling that I have worked a body part fully but just don't get the really bad DOMS. After starting to squat earlier this year after a 2 year break I literally walked around like an old man for 2 days afterwards - people in the office were actually laughing at me!! Since then I have taken L-glut and no further problems.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
You could always use the first week as an acclimation week. Getting your body used to the hard work, rather than jumping in full throttle from the beginning. But don't take that as going super light; you should still experience some soreness though, as this is inevitable.

I know how DOMS can get to the point where it greatly interferes with your other workouts. After a week or two, your muscles should be getting used to it. Like others have said, you'll still experience soreness on a regular basis, but nothing compared to what it's like when you're first starting out. I've been lifting for years and I can still remember it!

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
L-Glutamine has no effect on reducing catabolism and refraining DOMS. A controversy I don't want to get into but, if someone can find a study that proves glutamine is effective orally, by all means post it.

KM