Squatting and the testosterone effects...

  1. Squatting and the testosterone effects...


    ok ive always known squatting is the king exercise but only recently did I read stuff like: "squats are proven to add about 15-20% to your UPPER body mass, by virtue of the free flowing testosterone that squats release."

    now heres my stupid question...this 'release' of free flowing testosterone... does this mean someone who squats has more being produced or just flowing around their body, or being 'used up'?

    if so... what other effects does it have on the body? more facial hair for us babyface guys coz more testosterone activity? more horny in the mornings? lol, stupid question i know but im wondering if it does actually mean there could be other benefits or "side effects" to it considering it does help you get larger in the upper body due to this 'release'.

    I'm thinking of squatting 2x a week now instead of once due to the recent amount of interesting squatting articles I've been reading.


  2. I can't really elaborate on the test part of it,... but I can say doing squats pumps up my whole body. When I don't squat, my whole body seems to suffer!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!

  3. If i'm not mistaking, squatting increases test to such a small degree, it would not have an effect on hair growth etc.. I would believe the body would actually produce to compensate for the stress on the huge muscles within the legs, and others used.
    •   
       


  4. I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but I would have to assume that increases in test and gh due to squatting is related to the amount of muscles that are utilized during the movement and the stress on the spine.

    I don't think it should make such an impact that body hair formation is affected.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    ok ive always known squatting is the king exercise but only recently did I read stuff like: "squats are proven to add about 15-20% to your UPPER body mass, by virtue of the free flowing testosterone that squats release."
    its more just floating within the body. i see that quote, and its from the article that i wrote, so here's my response.

    it raises test levels for a few hours post workout. this will bind to any receptor that it can, most being in your legs, because of the increased blood flow to it, but also the rest of your body in smaller amounts, again provided there's an open receptor. its not going to spike test for a day - thats not what i'm saying. but it does increase your free flowing test, and makes all your muscles bigger.

    i'd ask you to think about all the super skinny guys in the gym, and watch them train. you'll probably notice that they don't do squats or deads, and its probably their hanging point in their workout. diet is the other one obviously. here's some links which hopefully will clear the issue up.



    from : The Ultimate Hard Body Exercise - DeepFitness.com
    As you may have already discovered, the squat is at the top of the heap (along with deadlifts) as one of the most effective overall exercises for stimulating body composition changes (muscle gain and fat loss). This is because exercises like squats and deadlifts use more muscle groups under a heavy load than almost any other weight bearing exercises known to man. Hence, these exercises stimulate the greatest hormonal responses (growth hormone, testosterone, etc.) of all exercises. In fact, university research studies have even proven that inclusion of squats into a training program increases upper body development, in addition to lower body development, even though upper body specific joint movements are not performed during the squat.


    from : 13 Ways to Naturally Boost Your Testosterone Levels
    To beef up your testosterone levels, the bulk of your workout should involve "compound" weight-lifting exercises that train several large muscle groups, and not just one or two smaller muscles. For example, studies have shown that doing squats, bench presses or back rows increases testosterone more than doing biceps curls or triceps pushdowns, even though the effort may seem the same. This is why doing squats could help you build bigger biceps.


    from : Muscle Building Blog
    Research indicates that the larger more involved excercises, like squats and deadlifts, will have the largest increase in Testosterone and Growth hormone. Although all resistance training has this effect, a curl for example, would have only a very small increase in Testosterone and Growth hormone.


    from : The power of proper suqatting - Myths about squats, by Sean Nalewanyj
    Squats have packed more muscle onto skinny frames than any other lift out there. Because of the degree of difficulty, squats also force your body to release higher amounts of important anabolic hormones, such as testosterone and growth hormone, thus resulting in total body muscle growth.


    hope this clears up any confusion. also, i do like to squat twice a week - it works for me.

    EDIT : a few hours of raised testosterone levels is not going to cause baldness or hair growth. that would be like a week or more of elevated test. it should raise your sex drive, but not by much. if you're at 6x in two weeks, it may raise it to 7-8x every two weeks. its not a drastic raise, but it should elevate slightly.

  6. Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions

  7. I remember reading something about the T release being minimal, but Suncloud has quite a good arsenal of articles and I only recall hearing one reference.

    Needless to stay, squats are important in any exercise routine IMO. They activate many large muscles that will lead to overall muscle growth, boost your metabolism, and quite possibly raise your T levels.

  8. Just listen to suncloud. He never fails to make a good post.
    All i know is squats are the sh*t. and i need to get my lazy ass back in the gym and do them

  9. thanks, suncloud! yeah it was ur forum post i quoted that off sorry that I didnt reference back to you my bad

    that guy seems like an open book for this stuff, put up more for me to learn!

  10. ive got a good one for ya. when i was "incarcerated" in my youth, i was told by the boys at the squat rack that testosterone was stored in the knees and when you squat heavy it is released into the bloodstream.hows that for exercise science.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by satyricon View Post
    ive got a good one for ya. when i was "incarcerated" in my youth, i was told by the boys at the squat rack that testosterone was stored in the knees and when you squat heavy it is released into the bloodstream.hows that for exercise science.

    Perhaps that is the reason why those geniuses were in the joint in the first place?
    “Besides, it is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness before seeing what manner of man you may become by developing your bodily strength and beauty to their highest limit.”

  12. Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions

  13. Yeah just like the other post, your body responds to stress by releasing homones, the greater the stress the greater releas of hormones(to a degree)
    ie. squats stress a large portion of your body, bones tendons muscle, so your body responds by relasing hormones to repair them, thats why squats rase test

  14. so is it ok to squat every week?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Gstyle24 View Post
    so is it ok to squat every week?
    yep.

  16. i remember reading about a routine called the 20 rep breathing squats..

    it's where you do 20 reps with your 10 rep max, but on the last 10 reps (i.e after you've reached 10 already), u stand there, take deep breaths and then do each rep painfully... u can take as many breaths as u want to.

    anyway, that routine is mentioned by heaaaps of bodybuilders and apparently packs on ridiculous mass all over , due to T release.

    I tried it a few times but i couldn't get passed 12 reps... i just felt too nauseous...

  17. Quote Originally Posted by BoyFromAus View Post
    i remember reading about a routine called the 20 rep breathing squats..

    it's where you do 20 reps with your 10 rep max, but on the last 10 reps (i.e after you've reached 10 already), u stand there, take deep breaths and then do each rep painfully... u can take as many breaths as u want to.

    anyway, that routine is mentioned by heaaaps of bodybuilders and apparently packs on ridiculous mass all over , due to T release.

    I tried it a few times but i couldn't get passed 12 reps... i just felt too nauseous...
    Lets try it again, but drop the weight a little.
    I remember the first time I tried it; maaaaannnn,... I walked in the door soo wrecked and walking like I was drunk..
    After my shower, I had the craziest wood.. The kind where ya just drop em in the middle of the room with this look on you face
    ...of course, I had to sit my ass down right away,.. but it's an example of how to 20 rep sets are a bennifit in more ways then one

  18. Quote Originally Posted by xtraflossy View Post
    Lets try it again, but drop the weight a little.
    I remember the first time I tried it; maaaaannnn,... I walked in the door soo wrecked and walking like I was drunk..
    After my shower, I had the craziest wood.. The kind where ya just drop em in the middle of the room with this look on you face
    ...of course, I had to sit my ass down right away,.. but it's an example of how to 20 rep sets are a bennifit in more ways then one

    damn!.. so u actually got to 20?

    how was it in terms of gains?...

  19. i doubt it makes ur upper body grow 10-20% im calling B.S. but i squat anyway

  20. All the "big lifts" add significant increases to growth hormone lvls: aka clean/press, deads, squats, powercleans. (Any of the big muscle movements). Forgive for not pulling up the studies, lol im tired and going to bed.

  21. I rarely do squats, because I used to not trian legs. I do train them now and will try and incorporate sqauts more. To answer your question I beileve squats dont really do **** for your upper body. Benching increases test too and is a big strength building movement, but it doesnt build your legs.

    I for one have built a big upper body and never did squats. But my legs need some good help, so squats here we go!

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    To answer your question I beileve squats dont really do **** for your upper body.
    Try doing a set of 315x15+ on squats (DC style rest-pause) and tell me squats dont do sh!t for the upper body when your back, shoulders, arms, and abs are burning like hell. You may be able to build an upper body without squats,..... anyone can,.... but you need a strong upper body to hold up any HEAVY weight on squats for ANY lengthily amount of time, hence the indirect involvement of the upper body muscles during a squat movement.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    Try doing a set of 315x15+ on squats (DC style rest-pause) and tell me squats dont do sh!t for the upper body when your back, shoulders, arms, and abs are burning like hell. You may be able to build an upper body without squats,..... anyone can,.... but you need a strong upper body to hold up any HEAVY weight on squats for ANY lengthily amount of time, hence the indirect involvement of the upper body muscles during a squat movement.
    Yea I cant do that kind of weight with squats, Im new to them. Maybe sayig they wont do **** for your upper body is a lil too much. But its indirect. You might need a strong upperbody to help with real heavy sqauts. But you DO NOT build a strong upperbody by doing squats. It seems very obvious, but people seem to constantly talk about how great squats are for your upper body and how great squats are for your bench. They are great for your LEGS!

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    . To answer your question I beileve squats dont really do **** for your upper body.
    I disagree. You can't have a big flowering tree, without a giant trunk. I finally saw the gains I was looking for when I started doing lower body exercises.

    True, you can build an upper body without working legs...

    ...but it would be so much better if you did.

  25. one of the guys that is heavy in squats at the gym I go to won't stop till he pukes or blows a vein in his eye I could believe that squats help build mass all over

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    Yea I cant do that kind of weight with squats, Im new to them. Maybe sayig they wont do **** for your upper body is a lil too much. But its indirect. You might need a strong upperbody to help with real heavy sqauts. But you DO NOT build a strong upperbody by doing squats. It seems very obvious, but people seem to constantly talk about how great squats are for your upper body and how great squats are for your bench. They are great for your LEGS!
    Ive never heard anyone admit that squats will build chest mass or strength. But the indirect usage of the upper body muscles having to stabilize even moderate weight on squats will still add size overtime. No you wont get significant, noticeable gains on all your upper body lifts by doing squats, but the information I have provided above should be practically common sense to any "serious" lifter. If you deny this, I guess you deny the fact that your forearms will gain size from heavy deads(INDIRECT involvement). I assume you would also deny that heavy rows and pulls of any sorts wont affect arms(bi's in particular) mass or strength at all(again, INDIRECT involvement). Just because some muscles are not being DIRECTLY worked, or not being specifically used for a specific lift, does not mean over time they will not grow from INDIRECT involvement. But then again, I'm responding to someone who claims "I rarely do squats, but will try to incorporate them more" ....... So I think anything you argue concerning how indirect involvement affects the upper body on squats is rather null and void.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    Ive never heard anyone admit that squats will build chest mass or strength. But the indirect usage of the upper body muscles having to stabilize even moderate weight on squats will still add size overtime. No you wont get significant, noticeable gains on all your upper body lifts by doing squats, but the information I have provided above should be practically common sense to any "serious" lifter. If you deny this, I guess you deny the fact that your forearms will gain size from heavy deads(INDIRECT involvement). I assume you would also deny that heavy rows and pulls of any sorts wont affect arms(bi's in particular) mass or strength at all(again, INDIRECT involvement). Just because some muscles are not being DIRECTLY worked, or not being specifically used for a specific lift, does not mean over time they will not grow from INDIRECT involvement. But then again, I'm responding to someone who claims "I rarely do squats, but will try to incorporate them more" ....... So I think anything you argue concerning how indirect involvement affects the upper body on squats is rather null and void.
    I dont want to go back and forth forever and Im sure you dont want to either. I do agree that the muscles hit indirectly will benefit from the lifts. I mean they are still being hit. I have heard squats being praised too much for their upperbody building qualities on this board before. I guess I carry a kinda bias now to try and dispell this theory. However I am agreeing squats do give some benefit to the upperbody, I just think many over hype its effects. Im not on the side of the fence that they give nothing to the upperbody just not as much as most say.

    All that being said though I do really want to start incorporating these into my workouts.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    ok ive always known squatting is the king exercise but only recently did I read stuff like: "squats are proven to add about 15-20% to your UPPER body mass, by virtue of the free flowing testosterone that squats release."

    now heres my stupid question...this 'release' of free flowing testosterone... does this mean someone who squats has more being produced or just flowing around their body, or being 'used up'?

    if so... what other effects does it have on the body? more facial hair for us babyface guys coz more testosterone activity? more horny in the mornings? lol, stupid question i know but im wondering if it does actually mean there could be other benefits or "side effects" to it considering it does help you get larger in the upper body due to this 'release'.

    I'm thinking of squatting 2x a week now instead of once due to the recent amount of interesting squatting articles I've been reading.
    Yes, the bigger the muscle group that higher the hormonal response. What makes an even bigger difference is the intensity. It has been found that the higher the intensity the greater the response of testosterone, adrenocorticotrophic hormone and cortisol. These hormone are directly used in protein synthesis. So squats with a heavy load are much better (85%+ 1RM).

    Ronnie Coleman does legs twice a week (heavy/light). You will adapt to it easily and should get some good results.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    I dont want to go back and forth forever and Im sure you dont want to either. I do agree that the muscles hit indirectly will benefit from the lifts. I mean they are still being hit. I have heard squats being praised too much for their upperbody building qualities on this board before. I guess I carry a kinda bias now to try and dispell this theory. However I am agreeing squats do give some benefit to the upperbody, I just think many over hype its effects. Im not on the side of the fence that they give nothing to the upperbody just not as much as most say.

    All that being said though I do really want to start incorporating these into my workouts.
    Ive been reading alot on the same subject.

    From what's being explaind to me, the Sqaut doesnt exactly work the upper body per say but rather "allows" it to grow quicker by provinding the key hormone fuels mentioned above.And by signaling the body it needs to grow It will make your upper body workouts more productive. I imagine it works abs and stabilizers throught the body directly though.

    Lets say you currently bench 185 (hypothetically) and your goal is to bench 265. Well if you dont sqaut or deadlift or do big lifts and say your max sqaut at the moment was 270 lbs, it would be unlikely that you could bring your bench to eqaul or more than you are capable of sqauting. Or at least it would be harder to do that.Its actually harder to make your body grow disproportionately. Without doing heavy compound lifts you could be in the gym for months and see very slow gains on upper body.

    What's the saying? If you want your arms to grow an inch you better put on 5-10 lbs of lbm? Something like that?

    At least, thats the way I had it explained to me.
    Im a beginner so I may have things wrong but it makes sense.

  30. Squats are my overall favorite exercise and I'd never take them out of my routine, however deadlifts I hate. I can only bench what I can squat. I've never benched more then I could squat. In fact my record squat was 245lb and record bench press was 150lb, before I lost weight.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. SSRI effects on Testosterone
    By soma in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM
  2. Effects of Decreasing Testosterone
    By phyviti in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM
  4. Effects if Arimidex on Total Testosterone?
    By jinxie in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
  5. The Effects of Diet On Testosterone Parts 1 & 2
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Log in
Log in