1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

loss of strength?

ive noticed my bench press has dramatically decreased in the last couple of weeks, and i really haven't a clue why. there are a few things i can attribute it to, but i think this decrease is a bit steep for this. i was hitting 295lbs for my max, but recently i have been struggling with weights like 275 and even 250. these are the things i may attribute it to:
    1) due to my hamstring strain, i have been unable to squat or deadlift for the past 6 weeks, though i still trained chest and my uninjured leg.
    2) i recently started a cut, and am down 10 lbs now, but my diet is spot on, (my diet is in a 55/40/5 protein/fat/carb ratio, which i have found i respond best to) and i am taking drive, rpm and dcp in addition to this. it may be due to the carb depletion, but in the first 2 weeks of the cut i had no problems, this drop came in the last 2
    3)it may have been a bit more dramatic today due to wearing a different shirt. i noticed whenever i unracked the bar i would slip and lose stability, which may be the reason. my dumbell incline is virtually the same, since i normally use 90-100lb dumbells for that depending on where it is placed in my workout, and i used 90s today.

any insight as to what might be causing that, and what i could change to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

anyone?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  239 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.11%

Whenever I drop weight and cut carbs I loose reps. I just increase my protein intake to minimize muscle loss. Also I take take a multi-v morning and evening. I struggle through it and try to maintain until I start bulking.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i was expecting some loss in strength, but this is a bit excessive in my opinion.
  5. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.05%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

When was your last dramatic refeed? How many days a week, and how long per session, are you lifting? There might also be a CNS component, sort of a burnout effect.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  239 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.11%

Sometimes its mental. If you are thinking about your leg and shirt during your workout, you can lose focus. I have days when the weights feel heavier than normal.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.15%

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    When was your last dramatic refeed? How many days a week, and how long per session, are you lifting? There might also be a CNS component, sort of a burnout effect.
    burnout, how many guys get to the gym and max out the bench every day, same reps over and over.

Im lucky if i max out the bench once a month, it very easy to over train your triceps.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  239 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.11%

Quote Originally Posted by AUTO View Post
    burnout, how many guys get to the gym and max out the bench every day, same reps over and over.

Im lucky if i max out the bench once a month, it very easy to over train your triceps.

This is true. There have been times that I've taken a week off to let my muscles heal/recover. I felt like a new man when I returned.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Is your chest workout frequency the same or are you hitting chest more often? due to not being able to do legs.

When do you train sholders in your rotation has that changed?

sounds like overtraining and low carbs to me.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.78%

Sounds like a combo effect to me

Combo being Carb cut/Burnout

Currently running CKD diet and the first two weeks are tough to get through and work your body off carbs however my strength stayed largerly the same.

What i have found worked best is upping your rest periods. It takes me longer to recover in a carb depleted state and therefore I rest more between muscle groups so if you normally did chest twice a week I would still do one really good heavy chest day at the start of the week after the carb refeed is done and then later in the week do a lighter chest day.

One thing I might suggest looking in to is TKD basis is to consume some carbs before your workout and give you the energy and drive during that workout not to mention a great pump and they will be burned off in that time.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i actually dont think about my leg at all when im lifting. thats the only time it hasnt hurt. ive also been training slightly less intensely than normal due to the leg, and a few other more personal factors. my workouts average at about an hour, some closer to 45 minutes, the absolute LONGEST is an hour 30, and that is rare. i dont max often, but i prefer to train in the rep ranges of 3-7. my rotation has recently changed, about a month ago, and i think this is the reason. i always pick the rotations and they seem to work, and this has been for the last 2 years. my training partner decided he wanted to pick it this time, and i let him despite my not wanting to. my split is as follows:
    day 1: legs
    day2: chest
    day 3:back
    day 4: shoulders
    day 5: arms.

if it were my choice, i would have prefered it to be
    day 1:chest
    day 2: back
    day 3: legs
    day 4:shoulders
    day 5: arms
    i dont do it as a monday tuesday wednesday etc. kind of thing because my rest days vary depending on my schedule, and soarness and just how i generally feel that day.

what confused me the most is that i was able to get the same reps on close grip bench with 225 just 3 days earlier than on regular bench. but as i stated earlier, the weight i use on dumbells hasnt changed. maybe it is a lack of leverage since i have been losing fat so my range of motion is slighly greater? it is also possible that just had an off day, the 2 days before this i was EXTREMELY tired. ephedra, geranium etc. wouldnt keep me awake. my last refeed was during the olympia weekend btw.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.15%

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticism View Post
    i actually dont think about my leg at all when im lifting. thats the only time it hasnt hurt. ive also been training slightly less intensely than normal due to the leg, and a few other more personal factors. my workouts average at about an hour, some closer to 45 minutes, the absolute LONGEST is an hour 30, and that is rare. i dont max often, but i prefer to train in the rep ranges of 3-7. my rotation has recently changed, about a month ago, and i think this is the reason. i always pick the rotations and they seem to work, and this has been for the last 2 years. my training partner decided he wanted to pick it this time, and i let him despite my not wanting to. my split is as follows:
    day 1: legs
    day2: chest
    day 3:back
    day 4: shoulders
    day 5: arms.

if it were my choice, i would have prefered it to be
    day 1:chest
    day 2: back
    day 3: legs
    day 4:shoulders
    day 5: arms
    i dont do it as a monday tuesday wednesday etc. kind of thing because my rest days vary depending on my schedule, and soarness and just how i generally feel that day.

what confused me the most is that i was able to get the same reps on close grip bench with 225 just 3 days earlier than on regular bench. but as i stated earlier, the weight i use on dumbells hasnt changed. maybe it is a lack of leverage since i have been losing fat so my range of motion is slighly greater? it is also possible that just had an off day, the 2 days before this i was EXTREMELY tired. ephedra, geranium etc. wouldnt keep me awake. my last refeed was during the olympia weekend btw.

we all hit a brick wall once in a while im at that stage now, just put along then when your feelin good put in the hard yards, you will come good i promise.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

yeah, i am looking better in this cut, so atleast everything isnt all bad.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

EVERYTIME, I mean everytime I cut caloric intake. I lose poundage........Like friggin clockwork.

I gave up fighting it......... Not going to injure myself, over poundage.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

ive got the rest of my life anyways, ill get it back.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

ive got the rest of my life anyways, ill get it back.
    yes you will..........and then some...........
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.99%

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kristofer68SS again.
    tired of seeing this.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.74%

Too little carbs I think.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Now I do not know if you cycled, but I did, and lost a lot of strength after coming off cycle. I guess I was so shutdown. I got on Reversitol for PCT, and RPM for pre workout. My strength is back, and my libido is as well. I start prime in 4 days. I can't get into all the scientific mumbo jumbo like some of the guys here (nuff respect to you all), but I do know that Reversitol worked for me.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i cycled about 2 or 3 months ago, and pcted with toremifene, and continued to gain strength until this point.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Sorry about your issue man, I wish I could help, but I don't know enough about this stuff to give anymore sound or accurate advice. I don't want to do like some guys and mouth some stuff that might possibly harm you. Try PMing one of the guys you have a background in sports science. There are a ton of them on here.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

it seems barbell bench is the only lift that is really suffering, so i can live with that. i will be hitting chest again in about 4 or 5 days, so i will see how it goes then, it may have just been a bad day for me.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.81%

it seems barbell bench is the only lift that is really suffering, so i can live with that. i will be hitting chest again in about 4 or 5 days, so i will see how it goes then, it may have just been a bad day for me.
    to be honest switch to dumbell for awhile. It's a change of pace and you don't have to think about the weight as much.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.48%

Whenever I increase my cardio and decrease carbs(in an attempt to cut), I lose strength. The key is to not let your pride @#$% with ya!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  25. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.05%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    Whenever I increase my cardio and decrease carbs(in an attempt to cut), I lose strength. The key is to not let your pride @#$% with ya!!!
    you feel that stinging? that''s pride ****ing with you.....**** pride.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.48%

Awesome!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jon629 View Post
    to be honest switch to dumbell for awhile. It's a change of pace and you don't have to think about the weight as much.
    i usually would use dumbell. ive only switched to barbell about 3 weeks ago and it has been declining since.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    ive only done cardio once, and that was only because i was at the gym to spot a friend when he needed it, and i had nothing better to do. im already down 12 pounds, and am MUCH leaner with only changing my diet, and adding dcp, drive and rpm.

Similar Forum Threads

1. strength loss?
    By jmoney02 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 08:29 AM
  2. Overall strength loss yay?
    By Danielz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
  3. STRENGTH LOSS
    By bi0hazurd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 25