knees going in when squatting..

hamr9

Awards
My knees seem to be both pointing inward when I am back squatting, more so with heaiver weights. Is there a muscle imbalance here that can be corrected by throwing in some more exercises?, or do I just need to go lighter and practice stricter form? I have the same problem when doing dumbbell deadlifts(knees going in). Please help me diagnose this problem. Thanks.

hamr9

Awards
I would say that my knees are slightly inside my shoulders inline with my shoulder joint.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
keep them out. going in will cause too much stress on the caps do whatever t takes changing your stance a smith, whatever

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
This is going to sound stupid but unless you have access to bands its a good solution.

Take a pair of mesh shorts and place the waist band around your knees when your squatting. You are going to have to push out with your knees to keep them from falling down. Also you may want to widen your stance a little and point your toes outward a bit.

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
agreed with all of the above...you need to force your knees out...regardless of how much weight you may need to take off the bar. pointing your toes out helps a good amount. the other thing that has helped me is putting 10lb plates under each heel. they give you enough lift so that it mimics wearing lifting shoes (generally have a 1.25" wooden heel). This also helped me get lower so that i could strengthen my knees

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
...stabilizer muscles around my knees. obv you cant strengthen your knee :thumbsup:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed that this problem usually is paired with tight hamstrings and hips muscles so appropriate stretching should help as well.