Do you train your forearms? - AnabolicMinds.com

Poll: Do you train your forearms?

Do you train your forearms?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Do you train your forearms?

I've never really trained my forearms. I just don't think it's needed since your grip is strengthened in many different exercises but I do know people who do workout their forearms. Sometimes it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this are.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

I used to do wrist rollers with a barbell, now I consider DB concentraion curls to be enough. theres no cramping with those.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

As far as functionality, you probably get the gist of your forearm strength work on back days and bi's day. However, for aesthetic purposes, training the forearms are a good idea, but if your primary concern is functionality, heavy back movements and biceps work should suffice.

I personally train the absolutely hades out of my forearms, but its for aesthetic purposes.

Phil Heath has terrific forearm development, particularly in the brachioradialis region. It adds a thick, strong look that big bi's alone cant' achieve. Although I'm not certain if Phil Heath actually concentrates on forearms, it could be 90% genetics. The only bodybuilder I know that's famed for intensive forearm development is Lee Priest. There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

The bulk of Lee's development are in his flexors. Developed flexors like Lee's offer a little bulkier look, while developed extensors and brachioradialis like Phil's, offers a more muscular look. Which is more appealing to myself, very subjective of course.
    Last edited by VolcomX311; 09-25-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.

i love training forearms, its really the only body part i get "the pump" with, its GREAT
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGcactus View Post
    i love training forearms, its really the only body part i get "the pump" with, its GREAT
    I get the best pump from doing chest. I might just try squeezing forearms into my training. When's the best time to train them. Maybe on a back day since you're already using them significantly?
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I get the best pump from doing chest. I might just try squeezing forearms into my training. When's the best time to train them. Maybe on a back day since you're already using them significantly?
    you should be asking what's best for them. and it's NOT, in my opinion wrist curls. they're ok, but if you really wanna get big forearms, pinch some plates. they are killer. the vascularity is fun to watch, too.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.

forearms are the hardest muscle to build up.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    you should be asking what's best for them. and it's NOT, in my opinion wrist curls. they're ok, but if you really wanna get big forearms, pinch some plates. they are killer. the vascularity is fun to watch, too.
    pinch some plates???

care to elaborate?
  9. New Member

try holding 50 kg plates in your hand. well fingers..........only joking. to be honest my forearms went big when i was just doing those barbell wrist curls and using my older brothers grip thingymajigs! plus to be honest whenever i do curls my forearms hurt more than my biceps, which has always pi**ed me off. anyway peace x.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.

i like using cable extensions with a straight bar at the very bottom level and standing straight up and doing wrist curls with it, you can also do it from behind grab the bar and hold it behind ur back/buttox and take a step or two away from the machine and do wrist curls from behind. if that makes any sense i get great pumps from them. i train forearms with shoulders, i use to do them with bi/backs but i have enough time to throw them on shoulder day.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.

I hit my forearms once a week with giant sets of barbell wrist curls, reverse cable curls, and dumbbell wrist curls. I don't like doing them on bicep day b/c they are already too tired after bi's and I can't go as heavy as I like to. I usually have one day at the end of the week where I hit calves, forearms, abs, and do some cardio.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    pinch some plates???

care to elaborate?
    http://www.xlathlete.com/view_exerci...xercise_id=173

'cept i do mine a bit slower than that. i hold each pinch for about five seconds now.
  13. Advanced Member

I train my forearms both for grip and aesthetics. I just think that most bodybuilders look really funny with these huge upper arms and comparitively skinny forearms. But then again, I'm used to skinny rockclimbers with giant forearms.

i love the pinch grip work, I think that it has done the most for me in terms of strength. My favorite is pinch grip wrist curls. Pinch two ten pound plates (or three, or four) flat side out and do your curls like that.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  15. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

i love working forearms. I feel building them up will give a more muscular look. I focus more on the brachioradialis region as i feel it looks better and flexors are worked more with grip in other excercises anyway.

OP, what is your routine look like as far as split? Maybe i can give you a better suggestion on when to train forearms if i see your split.

Phil and Priest both have great forearms with very prominent development. MacGrath too i think. Big arms with tiny forearms looks really off imo. People see forearms everyday for the most part why not make them look even better by training them individually. I train mine after chest and bi's.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTO View Post
    Which, in my opinion, is a good reason to want to train them even harder! Most people get a lot of indirect forearm training, but to fully develop the forearms I think they need extra, specific training. I do a little forearm work after my leg workout (maybe just a few working sets), and then two days later do the bulk of my forearm training, after upper arms. Four sets of BB wrist curls, followed by four sets of DB wrist extensions. Or sometimes I might superset wrist curls with wrist extensions, for extra intensity and/or to save time. After a set for forearms I like to flex as hard as possible, to really get the muscle acclimated to forceful contractions.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

the majority of my forearm work comes from rev bb curls and hammer curls for the brachi... bb wrist curls or standing cable wrist curls for the flexors.
  18. Professional Member

My forearms got big from baseball and deadlift. My forearms are a just about an inch smaller than my biceps.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTO View Post
    I agree right along with calves. I used to train forearms by doing wrist curls but now I do heavy back and dumbbell curls.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

I used to train mine using wrist curls but then started getting a bit of RSI so had to stop. TBH I didn't really notice a huge increase when training them so prob not much of a loss in my case.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

i train my forearms on bycep lat day with reverse grip curls.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

yeah I train mine with reverse grip curls with the ez bar. Otherwise it's hell on your wrists.

I get little bumps on my forearms after I do it though, anyone know what those are? Sort've like the size of a small green pea around 7.5mm across
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Gotta go with Arnold on this one train em every day til they refuse to move an inch
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  170 lbs.

i love doing forearms and i tried holding a 45 pound plate using just my fingers. i dont feel as much as doing BB wrist curls
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cam22 View Post
    i love doing forearms and i tried holding a 45 pound plate using just my fingers. i dont feel as much as doing BB wrist curls
    this is especially effective if you using the rubber plates for olympic lifts, my gyms got real thick 45's that are impossible to hold for more that 20 sec.
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Not directly...
  27. GS4
    Stats
    5'9"  162 lbs.

I actually train my foreamrs on my bicep day, usually once a week, you have too, is like doing legs and no calfs.
  28. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  275 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowbull View Post
    I used to do wrist rollers with a barbell, now I consider DB concentraion curls to be enough. theres no cramping with those.
    i do,i've found that my grip isbetter and i can curl more weight and lat work is so much easier...pull ups build massive forearms
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.

I like the barbell wrist curls, but i have variations that i use to keep the weight off my biceps, otherwise i go to hell
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

I generally hit em once a week, usually after bi's. Pinch 10# plates and walk laps around the gym is killer. My fav for forearms is the wrist curl with the back side of my forearm on a flat bench and just the wrist hanging off the edge, allows for a great ROM with full stretch...
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  217 lbs.

I train my forearms on biceps day by holding dbs to my side and curling them inward with my wrist and while watching certain videos on the internet :chick:
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.

I train my forearms.

I used to rock climb and I never noticed but apparently I had huge forearms because everyone used to tell me i did.

I definitely notice how small they are since i stopped.

I'm about 20 lbs heavier now but my forearms are at least 2 inches smaller

I used to do wrist rollers with 25lbs for sets of 10
    Now I can barely do 10lbs for sets of 5

I never had a grip problem in any of my lifts but now I can tell my grip is really weak especially in my deadlift:

Regular Overhand Grip: 315
    Over/Under: 375
    Straps: 420

It's really pissing me off now so I'm working them 2-3 times a week but I know nothing is going to compare to rock climbing again.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I've never really trained my forearms. I just don't think it's needed since your grip is strengthened in many different exercises but I do know people who do workout their forearms. Sometimes it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this are.

yes would defo train forearms ...the shape is necessary..
  34. Board Sponsor

I guess I am naturally blessed in the forearm dept. Everyone has that one muscle that they don't really need to train I guess. My forearms measure over 14" and my wrists are only 7 1/8". I don't train them at all.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

I never did, then I started being unable to hold the barbell for shrugs even with straps, now I do them any days that I need to use straps.
  36. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    I guess I am naturally blessed in the forearm dept. Everyone has that one muscle that they don't really need to train I guess. My forearms measure over 14" and my wrists are only 7 1/8". I don't train them at all.
    masturbating counts as training.....

LOL haha just playin
  37. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    masturbating counts as training.....

LOL haha just playin
    DANGIT!
  38. Professional Member

IMO if you're moving enough weight and working hard enough during your back workout you shouldn't need to work your forearms.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    IMO if you're moving enough weight and working hard enough during your back workout you shouldn't need to work your forearms.
    this is pretty true imo but then again you dont get much ROM with you forearms with back workouts, you just get the grip and the flexing but not neccassarily a pump.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGcactus View Post
    yep:bb3::bb3:
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Forearms, how to train
    By buster0371 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
  2. tri's/bi's/forearms
    By dcf143 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
  3. Circle Jerks - The balanced way to train the forearms