Mr. America Physiques (1947 - 1954) - How do you compare?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
These guys look much more natural (wonder why? :lol:)

Good post, reps.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
wow....they look a lil bit realistic....

but not as freakish as todays builders and lifters....wait....that means they couldn't have their Test E injections or sust? Those poor underprivileged body builders...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't right now they all kick my ass. I'm taller than all of them. have a bigger waist and have bigger thighs then each one 29.5. I hope to be around that last guys chart, with an extra ten-fifteen more lbs, if I get at his sizei'll be happy, coming up Feb 1st, on the Am online competition. My quads have always and always will be larger though, its genetic for me,even before I started lifting my girlfriend use to lay on my quads and tell me how much she liked my big legs.Another point Im not that strong on legs on any body-parts. I seem to get big without having to be strong. I mean Guys have come up to me at the gym and how much I bench (when i benched I don't bench press anymore) and Id say 285 and they said you look like your doing 500. This has happened numerous times , in the gym, at the club i used to be a bouncer at, where people would ask my strength and they'd tell me you look a lot stronger than you are..these are not average guys either, these were guys that were stronger than me.-Just an observation.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Holy Crap! With the way I look right now, I could have competed back then. That is WAAAAAY cool in my book. I would fall right in the middle of the pack up there. Sweet post!

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
sick post...reps bro.

it is interesting to see how much the sport has evolved. look at last weeks Mr. O comp...none of these guys would have even compared. they are also all natural though. they dont have any of the stuff that we take

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sick post...reps bro.

it is interesting to see how much the sport has evolved. look at last weeks Mr. O comp...none of these guys would have even compared. they are also all natural though. they dont have any of the stuff that we take
steroids were available then. Bill Pearl admitted using them for a short period of time.

Knowledge has evolved. people know to get big eat for gains, lift heavy weights and make sure you get proper recovery.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
These were physiques that everyone, men and woman admired.

Today 99% of woman would think the physiques of the Mr. Olympia contestants were gross and most men have no desire to look like that.

With all that we have available to us today those physiques from yesterday are attainable by a lot of people if they dedicate themselves properly.

I like to look at Steve Reeves proportions. He emphasized symmetry. There was balance in his peripheral areas. His calves, upper arms and neck at his peak were all 18 inches. His waist was kept narrow and with his broad shoulders exacerbated his look.

He had wide-lats & a big chest but it didn't over power his physique. His forearms were develped and his narrow wrist, ankle and knee joints gave his muscles a flared look.

His legs were sleek thanks to Vince Gironda which may look small by today's standards but his trunk was kept smaller and tighter.

Just a nice balanced physique to which I think most young me of today should aspire.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dang, I'm bigger or equal to all of them...
They were probably shorter than me though, but still that's encouraging.
I seriously doubt that. if so you shouldn't have a problem posting current pictures of yourself

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dang, I'm bigger or equal to all of them...
They were probably shorter than me though, but still that's encouraging.
You are a good guy it seems but you are smoking crack if you think you are bigger than any of them. Do you hoenstly see the muscle density and developement most of them have at low BF.

I don't want to flame you but you are being a bit full of yourself (don't forget you have pictures in your public profile.)

I know I am not there yet so don't think I am trying to show you up...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, so this is what you were talking about smeton...

Not claiming to look bigger than they, by any means, merely that my last main measurements were larger or equal to theirs.

I'm 6'4, 18" arms, 50inch chest, 25in thigh. Like I said, my heigth is a largely contributing factor. I'm not claiming to have as much muscle as they.

Not attempting to come across as arrogant. My apologies.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
whats the waist right now no sucking in relaxed measured and honestly not stretching the truth

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are a good guy it seems but you are smoking crack if you think you are bigger than any of them. Do you hoenstly see the muscle density and developement most of them have at low BF.

I don't want to flame you but you are being a bit full of yourself (don't forget you have pictures in your public profile.)

I know I am not there yet so don't think I am trying to show you up...
smokign crack:icon_lol:

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Currently a tad under 39=) just a few secs ago. quads 30..left arm a lil under 16, right arm 16.5. all my weight is in my legs ass and stomach. well a lot of it

I havent trained upper body in past six months. i did deadlifts three months ago . three months ago my arms were both over 17. I asked my friend to measure them. I dont even want to measure my upper body it sucks soo bad compared to what it was. at least ahalf a ****ing year of no progress and Im going to have to start over. itll be easier when i can though muscle memory. still though **** happens for a reason. i did something incorrect to reap these effects(cause and effect )

shootplayer

Awards
I don't believe steroids were used til about 1960. Bill Pearl competed and won in the late 60's Universe. He used then.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe steroids were used til about 1960. Bill Pearl competed and won in the late 60's Universe. He used then.
Warning; rant below....

wrong...they were using roids...look at those pics, they look better then the guys (monsters who compete at heavyweight) do today...however you will not develop like that without roids...stop reading, dreaming, and creaming over your box of protein that says gain 20lbs of muscle...it just wont happen. go back to bodybuilding.com if you want misguided information and lies..

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
All natural and the way it should be. When being 5' 9" and over 200lbs is a incredible feat.