push/pull/legs

  1. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1798
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    7.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Push/pull Routine


    Hello everyone. Basically been looking all night in alot of places in search for a nice PUSH/PULL/LEGS routine. Anyone care to help me out...maybe one you have had great success with. Hypertrophy is the goal.

    push - quads, chest, tris, calves, shoulders (front/lateral delts)
    pull - hams, back, bis, traps, (rear delts)



    thanks

  2. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350692
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I've really enjoyed a push/pull of the following:
    Push: quads, chest, tris, calves, anterior and medial delts
    Pull: Hams, dorsiflexion, back, traps, posterior delts, biceps

    you can get a lot of good cross-over with big lifts i.e. push press or jerk works both delts and quads, or romanian deads work both back and hammies. I used about 8 movements per workout and set it up so it was:
    Week One - push rest pull rest push
    Week two - pull rest push rest pull
    thus, every body part gets worked 3 times every 2 weeks, or twice in every five days.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  3. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1798
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    7.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Thanks resolve, i really like that setup, especially breaking the delts up like you did. Do you have a setup/set/rep scheme you suggest?

    Im still searching and looking and will post later.

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I've really enjoyed a push/pull of the following:
    Push: quads, chest, tris, calves, anterior and medial delts
    Pull: Hams, dorsiflexion, back, traps, posterior delts, biceps

    you can get a lot of good cross-over with big lifts i.e. push press or jerk works both delts and quads, or romanian deads work both back and hammies. I used about 8 movements per workout and set it up so it was:
    Week One - push rest pull rest push
    Week two - pull rest push rest pull
    thus, every body part gets worked 3 times every 2 weeks, or twice in every five days.
    •   
       

  4. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350692
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    i did supersets, set and rep volume varied, from 2sets of 20 to 4sets of 6, with 4x8 and 3x12 in there too. I like varying my sets/reps, keeps me from getting used to any particular one. If I were to pick just one, I'd say either the 3x12 or the 4x6.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  5. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1798
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    7.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    i did supersets, set and rep volume varied, from 2sets of 20 to 4sets of 6, with 4x8 and 3x12 in there too. I like varying my sets/reps, keeps me from getting used to any particular one. If I were to pick just one, I'd say either the 3x12 or the 4x6.
    Ok, here is what i have come up with. I had pretty good recovery and i obviously want mass 1st , but strength running a close 2nd. Im gonna try and keep most of my rep ranges in the 6-10range. I will not Go to failure on any sets, but 1 rep short of failure.

    Please comment on any glaring mistakes and any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.

    PUSH:
    Quads :
    Front squats (2x6-8
    BB walking lunges or split leg lunges (2x10)
    Chest:
    Incl DB Press (3x8)
    Hammer Flat Press (2x5)
    Tris:
    Weighted Dips (3x8)
    Shoulders:
    BTN Standing Press (3x8)
    DB Lateral Raise (3x10)
    Calves:
    Seated Calf Raise (2x12)(Done DC style)

    PULL:
    Hams:
    GHR (weighted)(3x10)
    Sumo Press (2x8)
    Back:
    Deads (2x5)
    Pullups(4x6)
    Bis:
    Incl DB Curl (3x8)
    Preacher Curl (2x6)
    Traps:
    Hammer Shrugs (3x10)
    Rear Delts:
    Bentover BB Rows (at 90degrees)(2x10)

    I will rotate exercises every 2 weeks. Exercise that will be rotated in:
    a. back squats
    b. hack squats
    c. box stepups w/db
    d. bb bench press
    e. bb incl bench press
    f. skulls
    g. hammer pressdown
    h. standing calf raises
    i. military press
    j. hammer shoulder press
    k. GM's
    l. SLDL
    m. BB row
    n. rack chins (weighted)
    o. BB curls
    p. hammer curls
    q. pec dec (rear delts)
  6. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350692
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    wow. Love it! You're either doing or rotating in pretty much all of my fav moves. Personally, after a week or two, I would shoot for increasing anything that I am doing 2 sets of to 3 sets, but I like set progression as well as weight progression, so that's really just a personal preference.
    I would also do Deadlifts first on pull day - they're pretty draining and if I do other movements before them, I find my dead really suffers.

    Great looking workout - I might just copy and paste this somewhere for later reference!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  7. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1798
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    7.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Thanks man. After looking at it, I really like this setup, except for one thing. Do you or anyone for that matter think i may be doing too much in terms of my lower back? (I dont want it to explode). Basically, i would be squatting/deads/squatting in 1 week. What do you think? Too much and if so, how could i rotate this so that dont kill my back?

    I did the push part today, and felt great, and only spent a little over an hour in the gym. Deadlifts will definitely be first on pull days....no doubt. After a few weeks, i may add a set or so to certain exercises, but ill just see how my body adjusts. For now, i will do the exercises listed until I stop progressing on a certain one.

    thanks man for the help

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    wow. Love it! You're either doing or rotating in pretty much all of my fav moves. Personally, after a week or two, I would shoot for increasing anything that I am doing 2 sets of to 3 sets, but I like set progression as well as weight progression, so that's really just a personal preference.
    I would also do Deadlifts first on pull day - they're pretty draining and if I do other movements before them, I find my dead really suffers.

    Great looking workout - I might just copy and paste this somewhere for later reference!
  8. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350692
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I do deads and squats and then power cleans or some other olympic lift on different days every week - and my back is my strongest bodypart in result. My lower back was sore at first when i started training with so many big lifts, but i threw in some reverse hyperextensions and those "backward situp" things (I don't know what they're called but you hang with your legs in a brace and your head towards the floor and straighten at the waist). So, your back won't explode if you keep form and work with weight you can handle. And you can throw in those "support" exercises if you find you need them.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  9. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1798
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    7.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Thanks, Im gonna stick with it and see how it goes. I am going to make one change....

    On my PULL day, i have SUMO Presses. I know this hits the hams good, but it is a "push" mvt, so im gonna switch the sumo press for GM's or SLDL (not sure which one yet).

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I do deads and squats and then power cleans or some other olympic lift on different days every week - and my back is my strongest bodypart in result. My lower back was sore at first when i started training with so many big lifts, but i threw in some reverse hyperextensions and those "backward situp" things (I don't know what they're called but you hang with your legs in a brace and your head towards the floor and straighten at the waist). So, your back won't explode if you keep form and work with weight you can handle. And you can throw in those "support" exercises if you find you need them.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Push/Pull/Legs. Advice.
    By Boondoggleyou in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM
  2. push/pull/legs for advanced lifters
    By Mafesto31 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 11:16 PM
  3. Is there any routine truly better than Push/Pull/Legs?
    By chocolatemilk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
  4. Push/Pull/Legs split 2x week during PH
    By deadikated in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 02:00 AM
  5. For anyone who follows a push/pull/legs split...
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in