Lifts that best reflect applicable/functional strength

  1. Registered User
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    474

    Lifts that best reflect applicable/functional strength


    I elect the deadlift and the clean and press. What do you guys think?

  2. Registered User
    Pemmican's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    144

    Straight up A to G squat. When you do it correctly, you engage almost all of your muscles...all of your legs, glutes, back, abs, and all the time stabilizers in between.
  3. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    21,303
    Rep Power
    755325

    Dumbbell kickbacks.



    Umm...gotta go with clean and jerk.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NAPA CALIFORNIA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Rep Power
    3259

    functional strength i'd say was clean and press
    the one that uses the most muscles - overhead squat.
  5. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Functional strength would be deads or squats. Clean and Jerk is a fine exercise, but when do you try to pick up a T.V. or move anything heavy at MAX SPEED. C&J is a power movement with its foundation in velocity, whereas, deads and squats are much more functional strength based.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Banned
    dommer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    0

    im gona have to say Arnold press
  7. Registered User
    Hank Vangut's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    in a house
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,735
    Rep Power
    1974

    i'm gonna say, i agree with anything volcom says on this topic.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Deads
    Squats
    Overhead Press

    Those are the most functional, IMO.
  9. Banned
    dommer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    0

    i disagree with the over head presses since how often to you lift stiff over head around the house
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    How often do you grab a T.V., brace yourself, and then bend the knees past parallel?

  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,083
    Rep Power
    918005

    Quote Originally Posted by dommer View Post
    i disagree with the over head presses since how often to you lift stiff over head around the house
    How do you justify the arnold press as being applicable??

    My vote goes to deads and C&P.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Banned
    dommer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    How do you justify the arnold press as being applicable??

    My vote goes to deads and C&P.
    joke lighten up buddy

    it was clearly not a serious reply
  13. Registered User
    manny1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    723
    Rep Power
    879

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Deads
    Squats
    Overhead Press

    Those are the most functional, IMO.

    I agree with Mullet, he is very wise.
  14. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    Quote Originally Posted by manny1010 View Post
    I agree with Mullet, he is very wise.
    ditto.........

    deads for sure.........I work on cars/trucks/big trucks...........and i pick up wheel tire combos that weigh over 100 pounds quite often........actually habitually.

    squats, i use that movement all the time, though weight is usually in front of me, not on my shoulders.

    overhead press............. transmissions.............

    yep all three............
  15. Registered User
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    474

    Ive read that the overhead squat is also a good predictor of functional strength, and some football programs are implementing it in their strength test as opposed to the bp.
  16. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by dommer View Post
    i disagree with the over head presses since how often to you lift stiff over head around the house
    In all seriousness though, I assume you have never moved?
  17. Banned
    dommer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    In all seriousness though, I assume you have never moved?
    i actually just moved in to my apartment a couple months ago and didnt lift much over head

    if anyting the dead lift motion and something like a farmers walk was what was used most frequently

    dead lift type motion to get the stuff of the ground and farmers walk for carrying it a decent distance

    the only time i had to move somethign over head was when we had to flip my couch around to get it in the door

    based o nthe moving statement farmers walk and deads are the most useful type of lifts most people dont carry the boxes over their head
  18. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Ive read that the overhead squat is also a good predictor of functional strength, and some football programs are implementing it in their strength test as opposed to the bp.
    i may look into this........... i thought about the movment one day while i was doing squats. I was warming up with 135, and some upper body kid in the gym grabbed it and pressed it...........

    I thought, i wonder what it would be like to do the press then squat down with it...............no joke.........

    i have never seen it done, ever.
  19. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by dommer View Post
    i actually just moved in to my apartment a couple months ago and didnt lift much over head

    if anyting the dead lift motion and something like a farmers walk was what was used most frequently

    dead lift type motion to get the stuff of the ground and farmers walk for carrying it a decent distance

    the only time i had to move somethign over head was when we had to flip my couch around to get it in the door

    based o nthe moving statement farmers walk and deads are the most useful type of lifts most people dont carry the boxes over their head
    Really, because I just moved a few months ago, and assisted a friend a few days ago, and I cannot count the amount of times things were lifted over my head. Couches in order to bypass railings, boxes to avoid piled boxes, mattresses and so on. Your house must lack stairs and/or any normal obstacle.
  20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    i may look into this........... i thought about the movment one day while i was doing squats. I was warming up with 135, and some upper body kid in the gym grabbed it and pressed it...........

    I thought, i wonder what it would be like to do the press then squat down with it...............no joke.........

    i have never seen it done, ever.
    Many people - including myself - initiate the motion from the bottom up, such that the bar is never really pressed - that is, I start in the overhead squat position and drive up with the legs from there.
  21. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Many people - including myself - initiate the motion from the bottom up, such that the bar is never really pressed - that is, I start in the overhead squat position and drive up with the legs from there.
    i need pics or vids............lol
  22. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    i need pics or vids............lol
    Just imagine getting into the completed ATG Squat position; from there, raise your arms straight up, and grasp the bar. Then drive upwards as a normal squat, but holding the bar above your head. This is how I engage it, at least. I do not press first, then squat.
  23. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Just imagine getting into the completed ATG Squat position; from there, raise your arms straight up, and grasp the bar. Then drive upwards as a normal squat, but holding the bar above your head. This is how I engage it, at least. I do not press first, then squat.
    i envisioned standing at the squat rack, pressing the weight up, then doing the squat, repeat until pukage. lol
  24. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    i envisioned standing at the squat rack, pressing the weight up, then doing the squat, repeat until pukage. lol
    That may be a technique, though I have always done it in the way I described for balance and stability purposes.
  25. Registered User
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    474

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    i may look into this........... i thought about the movment one day while i was doing squats. I was warming up with 135, and some upper body kid in the gym grabbed it and pressed it...........

    I thought, i wonder what it would be like to do the press then squat down with it...............no joke.........

    i have never seen it done, ever.
    I do them occassionally. They are for sure a humbling exercise. Start out with just the bar until you get the hang of it.
  26. Banned
    dommer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Really, because I just moved a few months ago, and assisted a friend a few days ago, and I cannot count the amount of times things were lifted over my head. Couches in order to bypass railings, boxes to avoid piled boxes, mattresses and so on. Your house must lack stairs and/or any normal obstacle.
    apartment dweller
  27. Registered User
    EasternLEGEND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    149

    Lightbulb


    Deadlift.
  28. Registered User
    Botch's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    467

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Functional strength would be deads or squats. Clean and Jerk is a fine exercise, but when do you try to pick up a T.V. or move anything heavy at MAX SPEED. C&J is a power movement with its foundation in velocity, whereas, deads and squats are much more functional strength based.
    I definately agree with you that deads and squats are most functional. But I have to say that the clean and press is a very functional exercise and I use this explosive strength during every day activities. At work I have to lift relatively heavy containers onto high shelves and I have found that speed is very helpful in getting heavier containers up onto shelves. When I clean a heavy container up into the press position and then do a push-jerk motion to get the container to the top I can transfer a lot more force and move heavier weight than if I were to do the movement more slowly. Granted, I wouldn't be trying to clean a TV for any reason like in your example because I wouldn't want to risk breaking a TV. But for other things, the clean and jerk has certainly made my life much easier.
  29. Registered User
    fast1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    85

    i'm going with squats but deadlift right behind it. both are very synergystic
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Labels on Viagra, Cialis and Levitra reflect concerns
    By Matthew D in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM
  2. functional bodybuilding
    By columbo200 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Functional Fitness over just being big...
    By planetfuzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
  4. nutraceuticals / functional foods
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 01:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in