Lifts that best reflect applicable/functional strength

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I elect the deadlift and the clean and press. What do you guys think?

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
Straight up A to G squat. When you do it correctly, you engage almost all of your muscles...all of your legs, glutes, back, abs, and all the time stabilizers in between.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dumbbell kickbacks.

Umm...gotta go with clean and jerk.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
functional strength i'd say was clean and press
the one that uses the most muscles - overhead squat.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Functional strength would be deads or squats. Clean and Jerk is a fine exercise, but when do you try to pick up a T.V. or move anything heavy at MAX SPEED. C&J is a power movement with its foundation in velocity, whereas, deads and squats are much more functional strength based.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i'm gonna say, i agree with anything volcom says on this topic.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deads
Squats
Overhead Press

Those are the most functional, IMO.

dommer

Banned
Awards
i disagree with the over head presses since how often to you lift stiff over head around the house

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How often do you grab a T.V., brace yourself, and then bend the knees past parallel?

:lol:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i disagree with the over head presses since how often to you lift stiff over head around the house
How do you justify the arnold press as being applicable??

My vote goes to deads and C&P.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Mullet, he is very wise. :goodpost:
ditto.........

deads for sure.........I work on cars/trucks/big trucks...........and i pick up wheel tire combos that weigh over 100 pounds quite often........actually habitually.

squats, i use that movement all the time, though weight is usually in front of me, not on my shoulders.

overhead press............. transmissions.............

yep all three............

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Ive read that the overhead squat is also a good predictor of functional strength, and some football programs are implementing it in their strength test as opposed to the bp.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In all seriousness though, I assume you have never moved?

dommer

Banned
Awards
In all seriousness though, I assume you have never moved?
i actually just moved in to my apartment a couple months ago and didnt lift much over head

if anyting the dead lift motion and something like a farmers walk was what was used most frequently

dead lift type motion to get the stuff of the ground and farmers walk for carrying it a decent distance

the only time i had to move somethign over head was when we had to flip my couch around to get it in the door

based o nthe moving statement farmers walk and deads are the most useful type of lifts most people dont carry the boxes over their head

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Ive read that the overhead squat is also a good predictor of functional strength, and some football programs are implementing it in their strength test as opposed to the bp.
i may look into this........... i thought about the movment one day while i was doing squats. I was warming up with 135, and some upper body kid in the gym grabbed it and pressed it...........

I thought, i wonder what it would be like to do the press then squat down with it...............no joke.........

i have never seen it done, ever.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i actually just moved in to my apartment a couple months ago and didnt lift much over head

if anyting the dead lift motion and something like a farmers walk was what was used most frequently

dead lift type motion to get the stuff of the ground and farmers walk for carrying it a decent distance

the only time i had to move somethign over head was when we had to flip my couch around to get it in the door

based o nthe moving statement farmers walk and deads are the most useful type of lifts most people dont carry the boxes over their head
Really, because I just moved a few months ago, and assisted a friend a few days ago, and I cannot count the amount of times things were lifted over my head. Couches in order to bypass railings, boxes to avoid piled boxes, mattresses and so on. Your house must lack stairs and/or any normal obstacle.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i may look into this........... i thought about the movment one day while i was doing squats. I was warming up with 135, and some upper body kid in the gym grabbed it and pressed it...........

I thought, i wonder what it would be like to do the press then squat down with it...............no joke.........

Many people - including myself - initiate the motion from the bottom up, such that the bar is never really pressed - that is, I start in the overhead squat position and drive up with the legs from there.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Many people - including myself - initiate the motion from the bottom up, such that the bar is never really pressed - that is, I start in the overhead squat position and drive up with the legs from there.
i need pics or vids............lol

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i need pics or vids............lol
Just imagine getting into the completed ATG Squat position; from there, raise your arms straight up, and grasp the bar. Then drive upwards as a normal squat, but holding the bar above your head. This is how I engage it, at least. I do not press first, then squat.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Just imagine getting into the completed ATG Squat position; from there, raise your arms straight up, and grasp the bar. Then drive upwards as a normal squat, but holding the bar above your head. This is how I engage it, at least. I do not press first, then squat.
i envisioned standing at the squat rack, pressing the weight up, then doing the squat, repeat until pukage. lol

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i envisioned standing at the squat rack, pressing the weight up, then doing the squat, repeat until pukage. lol
That may be a technique, though I have always done it in the way I described for balance and stability purposes.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established

I do them occassionally. They are for sure a humbling exercise. Start out with just the bar until you get the hang of it.

dommer

Banned
Awards
Really, because I just moved a few months ago, and assisted a friend a few days ago, and I cannot count the amount of times things were lifted over my head. Couches in order to bypass railings, boxes to avoid piled boxes, mattresses and so on. Your house must lack stairs and/or any normal obstacle.
apartment dweller

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Functional strength would be deads or squats. Clean and Jerk is a fine exercise, but when do you try to pick up a T.V. or move anything heavy at MAX SPEED. C&J is a power movement with its foundation in velocity, whereas, deads and squats are much more functional strength based.
I definately agree with you that deads and squats are most functional. But I have to say that the clean and press is a very functional exercise and I use this explosive strength during every day activities. At work I have to lift relatively heavy containers onto high shelves and I have found that speed is very helpful in getting heavier containers up onto shelves. When I clean a heavy container up into the press position and then do a push-jerk motion to get the container to the top I can transfer a lot more force and move heavier weight than if I were to do the movement more slowly. Granted, I wouldn't be trying to clean a TV for any reason like in your example because I wouldn't want to risk breaking a TV. But for other things, the clean and jerk has certainly made my life much easier.

fast1

Awards
i'm going with squats but deadlift right behind it. both are very synergystic