Best Squat exercise

Most effective form of Squat

• Total voters
thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
What do yous guys think is the most effective form of squat?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless you have bad hips, stick with the king.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
agreed. you can move the most weight thus stimulate the most muscle fibers with a regular old squat.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Box Squat all the way. I think you forgot some variations though:
Sponge bob squat
Reverse band squat
Safety bar squat
Zercher squat
Camber bar squat
Overhead squat
etc....

Personally I think the most bad @ss squat is a camber bar squat onto a box, not only does it kill your legs but it fries your upper body too.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Box Squat below parrellel or to parrellel FTW.

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
What do yous guys think is the most effective form of squat?
Regular back squat, ass to grass is the best...no questions asked.

Two ways that i have tried making my squats more intense are doing 20 Rep Squats or, after doing a set of 10 squats, keeping the bar on my back, i bring my feet together (touching) and do 10 quarter squats only engaging the quads. i was skeptical of quarter squats at first, but doing them right after a set of A to G squats is pretty ligit

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Regular back squat, ass to grass is the best...no questions asked.

Two ways that i have tried making my squats more intense are doing 20 Rep Squats or, after doing a set of 10 squats, keeping the bar on my back, i bring my feet together (touching) and do 10 quarter squats only engaging the quads. i was skeptical of quarter squats at first, but doing them right after a set of A to G squats is pretty ligit
There's always my 3 set quad WO:
Set of 6-10 reps of front squat immediately into back squats to failure. Rest 3 minutes and repeat. Keep a trash can and O2 tank close.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's always my 3 set quad WO:
Set of 6-10 reps of front squat immediately into back squats to failure. Rest 3 minutes and repeat. Keep a trash can and O2 tank close.
Compound set with the squats, that's horrendous.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
souns like torture! I like it :thumbsup:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Compound set with the squats, that's horrendous.
That was during my highest times of masochism...or when I was pressed for time. Back in the day, I had thighs/glutes that put 99% of people to shame, but those days have been over for a few years now.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i still like front squats more. Feels like it works more. Plus you look super cool doing it!

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
i still like front squats more. Feels like it works more. Plus you look super cool doing it!
i feel like front squats put more stress directly on the quads just from the position of the weight, and how it makes you maintain a very upright back position. either way, front or back, its a sick (and occasionally twisted) exercise

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
amen. front squats work great on the ''teardrop''

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
dont read into it so much. just the most effective all around

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
That's not reading into it deep at all.. IMO, that's a vital piece of information if one is going to answer the question.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i am too retarded to do them...i can only do them on a smith machine. i think its cause i like grabbing the bar all the way out. i think imma start working on fronts just for shits and giggles!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I used to absolutely hate front squats..

made myself do them...

now I like them lots!

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
yep, i love front squats. Drills my quad and the inner sweep. I do like regular back squats, but they hit more outer sweep and back/glute area more. I go back and forth. One week=front squats, next week=back squats, etc. maybe even throw in a 20rep DC style. God that is so f'in painful.

I used to absolutely hate front squats..

made myself do them...

now I like them lots!

Jetta

Awards

Good to see the front squat getting some love. I do them to a box. Nothing I've done to this point has given me the same quad pump. I started doing them because my rear squat form sucks. I always tweak my back. Front squats are good because you cant screw up the form...if you do you'll dump it.

I agree you look really cool doing them too. I do them cross armed for that added coolness. Chicks come and ask about them too which alone is a damn fine reason to do them.

Do front squats and all your wildest dreams will come true ;)

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
not bad... doing single legs suck!

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
i dont understand the masochism behind zercher squats...it hurts just thinking about them

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
yeah it does..... and i thought front squats were uncomfortable

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Definately box squats. Wide legged, box squats, tap and go. Try doin 4 sets of 25, it'l fry ya :twisted:

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
What is wrong with standard back squats.....shoulder width....below parallel (which few do). Slow and controlled on the negative and 3-4 sets of 5-10reps. If you do these correctly and controlled, there is no need for extravagant stuff IMO.

Definately box squats. Wide legged, box squats, tap and go. Try doin 4 sets of 25, it'l fry ya :twisted:

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
What is wrong with standard back squats.....shoulder width....below parallel (which few do). Slow and controlled on the negative and 3-4 sets of 5-10reps. If you do these correctly and controlled, there is no need for extravagant stuff IMO.
There is nothing wrong with standard squat. Why so serious?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This thread should have ended after rodja's answer on the 1st page.

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
definitely the standard squat is awesome for stimulating quad growth make sure you go ass to ground cause most people i see that do them only move up and down a total of a foot. also you can do a closer stance to focus more on quads and wider stance for your glutes and hams. But overall I feel they are the best

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Well personally, my body responds well to 4 sets of 25. At least when I'm trying to get conditioned before a new powerlifting program. Just my personal opinion, and it works for my application (size and strength).

walugi

walugi

Awards
That was during my highest times of masochism...or when I was pressed for time. Back in the day, I had thighs/glutes that put 99% of people to shame, but those days have been over for a few years now.
how many men have you shamed with your ass? :ntome: haha

Guys is there anything wrong with using a foam pad on the bar? I'm quite tall, and putting it on my back is pretty uncomfortable for me.

I usually get a foam pad and put it behind my neck. I've been squatting like this for a while now and i find it easier to go ass to grass like this.

Thanks

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I used a foam pad for most of my lifting till about a year ago. The first two weeks of squatting without a pad were very painful, and I got bruised. But now there's no pain at all! My body just kind of adapted.

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
everyone at my gym calls those pads that go on the bars maxi pads. I personally dont use the pad cause overtime your back starts to form rougher skin and a dent i guess you could call it where the bar constantly is. But if it feels more comfortable then i guess more power to you

walugi

walugi

Awards
dude you make it sound like i'll turn into some demented lizard man :p

I've tried it without pads but i couldn't rest it against my neck because it was too painful and digging into that bone at the base of my neck. It I put it against my back then I have to bend forward heaps because i'm not sure how to keep it against my back. Then i think more about keeping the bar there then squatting.

Sigh :(

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I quit using a pad because my powerlifting team doesn't use it.
And you'd be surprised, if you keep the bar just below your neck, you actually get used to it, no pain, and completely stable, especially if you have traps that stick out at least slightly so it can rest on them for stability...

walugi

walugi

Awards
I quit using a pad because my powerlifting team doesn't use it.
And you'd be surprised, if you keep the bar just below your neck, you actually get used to it, no pain, and completely stable, especially if you have traps that stick out at least slightly so it can rest on them for stability...
Ahh I see. My traps do stick out slightly, but not after I rest a heavy bar ontop of it.

I might give it a go then.

Also, is it normal that the bone at the base of your neck sticks out? I noticed that my gf's one doesn't. Many my bad neck bone is causing me more pain then is normal

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I don't think that's completely normal, but every persons body is different. If I tilt my head forward and down it sticks out, maybe your posture isn't quite right. And if it sticks out even when you have good posture, it might just be unique:D Nevertheless, I rest the bar just beneath that point. It hurt like a b!tch for the first 2 weeks and I got bruised, but even when I do squats with four plates on either side now it doesn't hurt at all.

walugi

walugi

Awards
thanks ill give it a go if my balls feel particularly hairy on leg day :D

Jink

Awards
Paul Anderson single leg squat

it is done on the box or on some wall,
important is that your not working leg is in falling down position

this exercise is so brutall not just for mass and strangth of legs,but also hellps that you don't lose your strength when doing diets,
for increassing weight vests or chains are the best

p.s.
i wanted to put link but i don't have enough posts

chim_chim

Awards
Regular squat is my favorite, too, but I like the MantaRay snap-on device. It keeps my upper body much more comfortable, especially because of the stability. (No cramps in shoulders.)

Hip-belt squats are a great adjunct. I finish my leg workouts with several of those for max TUT (60/70-sec. sets).

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
power squats, which are just back squats with wider feet/outwardly-pointed toes. This position helps you move high weight. Now, if you've acquired a lot of mass on them and wanna "shape" them, something else may be of more benefit to you.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
everyone at my gym calls those pads that go on the bars maxi pads. I personally dont use the pad cause overtime your back starts to form rougher skin and a dent i guess you could call it where the bar constantly is. But if it feels more comfortable then i guess more power to you

I call it the the "vag pad"...My partner uses it..........

I really dont think it matters either way...... I dont like it though.

mofitness

Awards
Back and Front Squats to parallel work best at higher rep ranges. Anybody ever try 1-1/4 rep slow tempo squats? very intense!!!

UrgeToGrow

UrgeToGrow

Awards
Love the regular back squat, nice and deep.

Sometimes go for front squats followed by stiff leg deadlifts just to change things up a bit. Good idea if you get stuck at a plateu.