deadlifts with straps? new to boards

brownsiron250

Awards
im new to the boards been lifting a couple years i was a member on a different board i guess it got shutdown or something.. just started doing deadlifts about 5-6 months ago im 5'10 165lbs my stats are
bench-250
deadlift-390
Squat- 340-350 This is goin down paralell not ass to grass

ive been doin westside routines simple ones as in good mornings barbell rows deadlift to a ORM etc... but i have been using weight lifting gloves and i was told to ditch those and get straps? im fine with using them as long as they help my grip strength as getting the bar off the ground on deadlift is fine. Mid shins becomes difficult then easy till at lockout i feel like the bar is sliping outta my hand.. any suggestion on what wrist wraps and how much they would help? how much more id be able to pull?

thank you in advance.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
For sure ditch the gloves!

I'm not about to tell you not to get straps, as I use them myself on my last two heavy deadlift sets, as I don't like having one of my arms palm out with the weight I use. That is the ONLY exercise I use straps on though. The rest I use good old chalk. For the longest time I didn't believe chalk could make that much of a difference in your grip. I used to use straps on all kinds of exercises (pulldowns, rows, etc.) but one day I decided to pick up some chalk and give it a try. I've never looked back!

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
im new to the boards been .
thank you in advance.
Use the straps. I would strongly reccomend both palms in or over the bar. Reason being palm out puts additional stress on the bicep tendon. I've seen it rupture, not often, but it does happen.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Use the straps. I would strongly reccomend both palms in or over the bar. Reason being palm out puts additional stress on the bicep tendon. I've seen it rupture, not often, but it does happen.
I agree. I always go palm in... I do not like the mixed grip and have also heard of this happening.

Personally I only use straps on my heaviest set.

buns

Awards
Use straps but only when needed. Relying on straps, belts, and wraps can actually decrease muscle and tendon strength. But they can also help protect you when doing very heavy reps.

brownsiron250

Awards
For sure ditch the gloves!

I'm not about to tell you not to get straps, as I use them myself on my last two heavy deadlift sets, as I don't like having one of my arms palm out with the weight I use. That is the ONLY exercise I use straps on though. The rest I use good old chalk. For the longest time I didn't believe chalk could make that much of a difference in your grip. I used to use straps on all kinds of exercises (pulldowns, rows, etc.) but one day I decided to pick up some chalk and give it a try. I've never looked back!
yea i forgot to mention i just started doin that i only use gloves on my heaviest sets like around 315 i put the gloves on but basically what im hearing is if i were to get straps use them for ORM or 3rm around there?

satyricon

Awards
these guys are right.use the straps on your last couple sets. you need to develop a strong grip early on, or else once you get to lifting max # your grip will be weak and you'll end up using straps all the time. doing deads palms in w/o straps is how real men train.

fast1

Awards
i try to work on grip strength and not use straps at all. it helps to move more weight but also becomes a crutch...

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
im new to the boards been lifting a couple years i was a member on a different board i guess it got shutdown or something.. just started doing deadlifts about 5-6 months ago im 5'10 165lbs my stats are
bench-250
deadlift-390
Squat- 340-350 This is goin down paralell not ass to grass

ive been doin westside routines simple ones as in good mornings barbell rows deadlift to a ORM etc... but i have been using weight lifting gloves and i was told to ditch those and get straps? im fine with using them as long as they help my grip strength as getting the bar off the ground on deadlift is fine. Mid shins becomes difficult then easy till at lockout i feel like the bar is sliping outta my hand.. any suggestion on what wrist wraps and how much they would help? how much more id be able to pull?

thank you in advance.
those are crazy numbers for 166 5'10" aren't they? hoW? HOW/! HOW??!! I'm' 156 5'6" and have a 1RM of like 170...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i try to work on grip strength and not use straps at all. it helps to move more weight but also becomes a crutch...
x2

Personally, my forearms are small enough as it is (compared to the rest of me) - they need the pressure to develop my grip. That means no straps, unless a hand is injured. And I don't like relying on "gear" - when I move a weight, I want it to be all me, and not a piece of equipment i've got doing the work.

eballarj

Awards
  • Established
x2

Personally, my forearms are small enough as it is (compared to the rest of me) - they need the pressure to develop my grip. That means no straps, unless a hand is injured. And I don't like relying on "gear" - when I move a weight, I want it to be all me, and not a piece of equipment i've got doing the work.
...so if your grip can't handle the bar, you just use less weight? it makes sense, but it's difficult to weight the value, since you may be robbing your back of development...but i guess at the same time, the strength should be equal..

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, you just bring your forearms up in strength by training them.

My back is hardly underdeveloped, even with my grip being one of my weaker aspects.

I like to keep things proportionate if possible - that means keeping my grip strength capable of pulling whatever's on the bar.
Throw on straps and that balance, like you said is lost. Sure you're lifting more, but you're taking your forearms almost entirely out of the picture and therefore denying them the opportunity to improve.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Straps are for pussies. Your deadlift is only as strong as your grip. I disregard every claim of deadlift completed with straps. Sure 800 pounds with straps is impressive, but then your deadlift isn't 800 pounds...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Resolve you got current pictures to prove how big you say you are? if so why don't u post them in the picture thread

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
and straps are fine if they help you move weight just like a belt that's fine. anyone ever see the over/under bicep tear videos on youtube of guys doing deads. well that's the reason i will never do under over again. i did them up in till a few months ago when I was dead lifting 415. never again. Its i over over for me or straps

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Straps are for pussies. Your deadlift is only as strong as your grip. I disregard every claim of deadlift completed with straps. Sure 800 pounds with straps is impressive, but then your deadlift isn't 800 pounds...
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Smeton - I'm sorry I'm not really following you man. How big am I giving the impression of being? I'm big, but I'm not huge by any means. 6'4", 236 as of this morning, approx 8%bf.

As for pics, you'll have to wait for my "before" pics in my muscle pharm log. I don't own a camera and always have to borrow my brother-in-law's.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
My comment was a little harsh. Straps are fine, but why would you want to limit yourself. Sure, straps help you lift what, 40 more pounds? Man up, drop the poundage for a few weeks and let your grip strength increase. That grip strength will increase incredibly fast, at least if my personal progress was/is any indication.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
My comment was a little harsh. Straps are fine, but why would you want to limit yourself. Sure, straps help you lift what, 40 more pounds? Man up, drop the poundage for a few weeks and let your grip strength increase. That grip strength will increase incredibly fast, at least if my personal progress was/is any indication.
man up on max lifts i agree...with bodybuilding though, straps are a must. if you can overhand 315 for 15 w/o straps i'll kiss your ass!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
I can do that LOL. Pucker up!
LOL...shoulda typed a heavier weight...i knew i f'ed up when resolve repped me "xoxo" and i had to remind him no homo but he wsan't buying it...he loves the cok...LOL j/k

i was insinuating that that would be impressive, hell i admit i can't...i can toss 315 like peanuts for sets but i need straps. i do deads mid-end workout. now that i think about it it may be all in my head as i have never really tried...imma try tomorrow and get back what i can do. i wish my grip would keep up with my retard back strength!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
man up on max lifts i agree...with bodybuilding though, straps are a must. if you can overhand 315 for 15 w/o straps i'll kiss your ass!
very true it is much harder with over over than over/under.