Best place to do sprints?

The Anarchist

Awards
For those of you who do HIIT or any sort of sprint exercises, do you think its best to run on an outdoor trail or indoor track?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer to do as much running outside as I can. Including sprints. It just makes me feel better that's all.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't think it really matters. Either place you sprint you will be getting a good workout. I think it depends on your preference.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Do all my sprint intervals outside.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer to go outside for it...but in the winter i run in my schools indoor track

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
cushioned track, indoors or outdoors, better for the joints.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
On the track IMO is your safest route. The surface is forgiving to your joints, and you take out the risk of tripping over rock/brush on the trails. If you're looking down at your feet when your running, checking your step, top speeds will not be achieved easily.

If you are training for a trail race, that's different. Train like you fight - if you're not planning on racing on the dirt, then don't race on the dirt. Medium distance runs can benefit from the variety, but you want a clear path for sprint work.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cardiovascular/Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Agility, Balance, Coordination, and Accuracy.
You are as strong as your weakest link.

Nice

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Track>tarred road(not concrete)>grass/dirt>concrete road

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
on the beach near the water where the sand is compressed from the tide coming in

The Anarchist

Awards
On the track IMO is your safest route. The surface is forgiving to your joints, and you take out the risk of tripping over rock/brush on the trails. If you're looking down at your feet when your running, checking your step, top speeds will not be achieved easily.

If you are training for a trail race, that's different. Train like you fight - if you're not planning on racing on the dirt, then don't race on the dirt. Medium distance runs can benefit from the variety, but you want a clear path for sprint work.
Wouldn't that just exclude all the factors running outside brings; the wind resistance, the rough surface, wouldn't that make it more effective to sprint outside?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't that just exclude all the factors running outside brings; the wind resistance, the rough surface, wouldn't that make it more effective to sprint outside?
If you're training for functionality, yes.
If you're out to train your maximal heart rate, ie HIIT, then you should cut out the unnecessary risks. Increased risks doesn't always equate to increased effectiveness.

Again if you're training for functionality, and you want to be able to thrive in such an environment as sprinting over rough terrain, then it is absolutely what you should be training for. Otherwise, stick to the track. That is your safest route... and I'll tell ya, some of the most powerful winds I've ever experienced were at the track (wide open area, gusts come in hard and often).

Pemmican

Pemmican

Awards
try running on grass (football/soccer field, etc.)...slightly uneven surface works all the small stability muscles and you avoid the pounding that is associated with running on pavement

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
My fav- up and down the Harvard University stadium stairs, in the winter. Like Rocky. Hoorah.

TheAlchemist

Awards
outside is better for the joints, i just hit the park across the street, you cant beat free and convienent

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i sprint in a field outside of my house about 80 meters long.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
for me would be the soft white sand on the beach,or uphill on an incline!

holdcenter

Awards
outside on a trach with stadiums....you can do 50,s then stadium then 50, then stadium, then 100 and so on.