Whats the best 5x5 program out there?

dlutz74

dlutz74

Awards
Whats the best 5x5 program out there and why is it the best? I have been lifting seriously for about a year now and i am looking for size and strength gains.

dlutz74

dlutz74

Awards
i have been researching most of the day and they say the rippetoe workout is one of the best for beginners, i am probably going to order his book and begin that workout. Does anyone agree with that?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This looks like a solid recommendation for a beginner:

Rule 7: Start reaping the benefits of the 5x5 program

Most people think they know all about the 5x5 program, Reg's favorite strategy for packing on strength and size. Just pick a weight and use it for five sets. When you can do five reps on all five sets, add weight. Don't increase the weight until you can do five reps for all five sets. This allows for a gradual progression and an avoidance of burning out. Simple, right? Yes, but this isn't the 5x5 version that Reg used and recommended.

In Reg's 5x5 program, the first two sets are warm-ups, and the last three are the primary work sets. For example, if you're using 200 pounds for the primary sets on the military press, it would look like this: 160 x 5, 180 x 5, 200 x 3 x 5. When you can use 200 pounds for the last three sets of five, increase the poundage by five pounds on all five sets to take it to 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 3x5. Reg referred to the three primary sets as the stabilizer sets.

When you can do a given weight for three sets of five, you've locked that weight in, and are ready to move up. You can start with lighter weights for the first two warm-up sets, but make sure the poundage jumps from the first to the second set and from the second to the third set are the same. The first two sets are confidence-builders. Thus, if you feel tired on the first confidence-building sets, do one or two more to build up reassurance to attack the three primary sets.

Unlike many of today's bodybuilders that take very short breaks in between each set, Reg recommended 3-5 minute breaks to recover fully from each set. Also, focus on using as much weight as possible for each set, to acquire the greatest return on your effort.
Reg Park-Inspired 5x5 Programs

Option 1: (Two sessions per week, for busy people or trainees with poor recovery)

Monday

Hyperextensions 3x10 (one minute breaks)

A1) Standing barbell military press 5x5
A2) Barbell bent-over row 5x5

Take two-minute breaks in between each set of A1 and A2. Go back and forth until all of the sets have been completed.

Barbell squat 5x5 (three minute breaks in between each set)
Thursday

A1) Weighted dip 5x5
A2) Weighted pull-up 5x5

Take two-minute breaks in between each set of A1 and A2. Go back and forth until all of the sets have been completed.

Barbell deadlift 5x5 (three minute breaks in between each set)

Option 2: (three sessions per week, for trainees who have more time and adequate recovery)
Monday

A1) Standing barbell military press 5x5
A2) Barbell bent-over row 5x5

Wednesday

A1) Weighted dip 5x5
A2) Weighted pull-up 5x5

Take two-minute breaks in between each set of A1 and A2. Repeat until all of the sets have been completed.

Barbell deadlift 5x5 (three minute breaks in between each set)
Friday

A1) Incline barbell press 5x5
A2) Dumbbell renegade row 5x5

Take two-minute breaks in between each set of A1 and A2. Repeat until all of the sets have been completed.

Option 3: (3x per week for advanced trainees who have great recovery abilities)
Monday

Barbell military press 5x5
Weighted pull-ups 5x5
Barbell squat 5x5
Romanian deadlift 5x5
Barbell curl 2x5
Close-grip bench press 2x5
Calf raise 3x12
Wednesday

Bench press 5x5
Barbell bent-over row 5x5
Power clean 5x3
Barbell deadlift 5x5
Dumbbell curl 2x5
Weighted dip 2x5
Calf Raise 3x12
Friday

Dumbbell clean and press 5x5
Weighted pull-up 5x5
Barbell squat 5x5
Dumbbell lunge 5x5
Barbell curl 2x5
Close-grip bench press 2x5
Calf raise 3x12

Take one-minute breaks in between each exercise and three-minute breaks in between each set.

For more information on Reg Park, check out his booklet Strength and Bulk Training for Weightlifters and Bodybuilders, available at Super Strength Training. Also, check out the official Reg Park website.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_reg_park_way_to_serious_size_and_strength

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Rippedtoe and stronglifts are both great for beginners GL

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Regardless of programming, you will do yourself a huge favor in picking up Rippetoe's Starting Strength. It's roughly $35, and is money well spent. Valuable information on form, descriptions on biomechanics, and many other topics are covered in a simple, yet informative manner. His program is based off the tried and true methods of Bill Starr and other reknown strength coaches, and you should at least take a look at the programs that started it all before you get fancy.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
I dont have many spare funds right now. Could someone post a quick summary of the RippedToe workout schedule?

Also, would taking a 3 day 5x5 split and turning it a into four day be ok, because i cant workout on wednesdays.
Or can somone send me a 5x5 thats a 4 day split?

dlutz74

dlutz74

Awards
ok this isnt a 5x5 program, i just didnt want to make a new thread but my friend asked me about it because he wants to start it. Its call the Max-OT program. I told him i would research it for him, has anyone heard of it??

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah Max OT's got some threads on here, search for it, I've never looked into it.

Starting Strength is the way to go for beginner 5x5, IMO.

NerdFlexd - look up "Starting Strength" on T-nation.com - it'll give you a rundown of the program.

dlutz74

dlutz74

Awards
ok thanks, and the 5x5 is going nicely for me, starting my 2nd week tomarrow

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
I wish i could start right away, but no! my lousy gym doesn't have a squat rack. Im trying to switch gyms and go to a 24 hour fitness thats a little further away.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
FINALLY! found a second gym i can go to with a squat rack and everything else. and god my ass hurts after that first workout