Workout help

johnegq22

johnegq22

Awards
So here's the deal...

I'm not gonna be able to hit the gym until mid-Sept, but I have a set of Bowflex Adjustable Dumbells. Can you guys gimme a good routine for just using dumbells for chest, arms, back, and shoulders. No legs. Please.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you'll have to change up your routine since db's are going to be really hard on your secondary muscles. DB bench hurts my triceps the next day.

M - chest / triceps

dumbell bench
dumbell incline bench
dumbell flyes
dips
tricep (lay down on ground, do underhand, overhand, and straight up and down grips and basically do skullcrushers - 3 heads, three grips)

T - back / biceps

pull ups
chin ups
deadlift (with DB's its a suitcase deadlift)
bent over rows
DB curls
pinwheel curls

W - shoulders

DB press
front delt raises
side delt raises
face down, rear delt raises
throw in a set of squats holding the weight up to your shoulders like you were going to do an arnold press. squats = upper body mass.

Th - chest / tri's

F - back / bi's

that should work till sept. one thing you might want to try if you are doing strength / mass is to do 4 sets of 6 (strength style). the next time you work out, do as many as you can with the same weight - 7,8 reps, etc. once you get up to 10 reps (8-10 reps is a mass workout), add some weight and go back down to 6 reps. i think this is an ideal way of doing strength and mass in a workout. especially since you're always going up in weight or reps every week - nice ego boost.

i'm not quite at 100% right now. guys, speak and tell me what i'm missing.

johnegq22

johnegq22

Awards
Thanks soooo much, but what do you mean by pinwheels curls, and suitcase deadlift? I should do any other exercises for back? No shrugs for shoulders or behind the neck press for tris?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
you'll have to change up your routine since db's are going to be really hard on your secondary muscles. DB bench hurts my triceps the next day.

M - chest / triceps

dumbell bench
dumbell incline bench
dumbell flyes
dips
tricep (lay down on ground, do underhand, overhand, and straight up and down grips and basically do skullcrushers - 3 heads, three grips)

T - back / biceps

pull ups
chin ups
deadlift (with DB's its a suitcase deadlift)
bent over rows
DB curls
pinwheel curls

W - shoulders

DB press
front delt raises
side delt raises
face down, rear delt raises
throw in a set of squats holding the weight up to your shoulders like you were going to do an arnold press. squats = upper body mass.

Th - chest / tri's

F - back / bi's

that should work till sept. one thing you might want to try if you are doing strength / mass is to do 4 sets of 6 (strength style). the next time you work out, do as many as you can with the same weight - 7,8 reps, etc. once you get up to 10 reps (8-10 reps is a mass workout), add some weight and go back down to 6 reps. i think this is an ideal way of doing strength and mass in a workout. especially since you're always going up in weight or reps every week - nice ego boost.

i'm not quite at 100% right now. guys, speak and tell me what i'm missing.
this is pretty inclusive and well done. You might find out some of your own through experimentation. Also, I have found that working with db's when I slightly alter the angles, it causes a different feel.

johnegq22

johnegq22

Awards
I have def witnessed the benefits of changing angles thans

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
suitcase deadlift is what they call it when you do deads with dumbells.
pinwheel curls are where you curl the weight to the inside of your body. grab the weight, and curl it to your opposite delt.
for traps, you can do shrugs if you'd like - with heavy enough weights on deadlifts though, you won't really need to isolate. i've found the best isolations for your traps (if you'd like to train them too) is to do them seated - can't use your legs to get the weight up.

for tri's, that workout will hit all three heads, and dips will add mass to them pretty fast. feel free to experiment though, and find what works best for you.

johnegq22

johnegq22

Awards
This is def not proper technique for the pinwheel curls is it? You shouldn't be jerking your back back and forth right?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqr4CJWs3E"]YouTube - DC Training/Pinwheel Curls[/ame]

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
his form isn't that bad considering the weights he's using, but thats not strict form. try to keep your back straight. if it helps, keep your back against a wall - its so much harder that way.