Upper back thickness

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Seems like my upper back isn't/hasn't developed as much as I'd like it too. I've got thick erectors, but my upper back doesn't seem to do as well. What would you vets recommend I try? Right now all i'm doing to back are pullups, narrow grips and dumbell rows. I cannot deadlift, barbellrow or anything else that requires my back to support itselt (bulged disc).

Thoughts?

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Id like to see what is thrown around in here as well. My traps are pretty decent, middle back thickness for me sucks though. :think:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Id like to see what is thrown around in here as well. My traps are pretty decent, middle back thickness for me sucks though. :think:

I know facepulls are great, but I can't do em because of my back. you should try em, though.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
One arm bent over rows would seem like a good choice in your situation, that and weighted pull ups. Also if you cant do barbell rows, perhaps the next best thing would be supine rows. They don't put undue stress on the back, and if done correctly can have a nice effect.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Chest Supported Rows!
Your gym should have some sort of machine for this, but if not you can just lay on your stomach on an incline bench and use dumbbells.
Scapular shrugs are another good one, much like before lay on your stomach on an incline bench and just pull your shoulder blades back.
If you have a double cable station you can do a bunch of different rowing and pulldown movements with and incline or upright bench supporting your body. Just keep you stomach and chest on the back of the bench at all times and really focus on form with the movements.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, thats the supine row. You can do it from multiple angles. PMils offered a good suggestion with the bench rows. I've been doing them on an incline bench, with dumbells and a neutral grip. Slow controlled movements are key, and the upperback gets isolated quite nicely.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lockout squats? Just found them when I was googling for exercises on back. Gonna start adding them to mine and see what kind of results I get.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Reverse grip pullups- pulling to the bottom of your sternum. Close neutral grip pullups kick ass too.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
This is the best one in my opinion. Try to do heavy weight, and really focus on form. When you do these, keep your shoulders in line with each other. Most people lift there shoulder up which puts a kind of twisting motion on your lower back and abs, which not only is potentially harmful, but also limits the affect it has on your back size.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
oops quote didnt go thru...by this i mean 1 arm db rows, resting the opposite arm and knee on a bench, and keeping your supporting leg strait.

swangswang

Awards
  • Established
narrow reverse grip lat pull downs and back flys on the chest fly machine

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
i would say DB shrugs, face down DB shrugs, and upright rows to get that top/middle area real good with narrow, and palms-up lat pulls(coleman-style) to help that area as well. Those might okay with your "bulged- disc," idk,.. but it makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found that if you put the bench mid-way between flat and incline and do DB rows with your thumbs slightly higher than pinky pulling to your sternum hits upper mid back nicely.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All good suggestions...

a while ago I was having this problem and addressed it with GeekPoop. I seem to do plenty of typical rows and pullups/pulldowns. We decided that the missing ingredient was actually upright rows. I never do them because of severe elbow and shoulder injuries.

So, we compromised and now I do them with pathetically light weight, high reps, and lots of time under tension. I've noticed things are a bit more defined between the shoulder blades just after 2-3 weeks of making this minor change.