Outer biceps...

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
My bi's look fuller and bigger on the inside, and kind of cut off on the outside. Any good exercises to target the outer bicep? I have been doing more hammers but no results so far...
Or does it have more to do with genetics??

satyricon

Awards
some genetics..... but strict reverse curls work good . work on chins and pullups too

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yep. i do reverse preacher curls myself. like all exercises i try for the first time, thought i was hoss, and tried doing 65 lbs. big mistake. works good though.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
It isn't entirely genetic. Mostly not genetic, actually. The area you're talking about is the brachialis muscle. Try reverse EZ bars, hammer curls, rope curls, things of that nature.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
doesnt a closer grip bb curl hit them more as well?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I think it would hit them 'more' but it wouldn't necessarily be the most effective. If you do movements with your hands vertical or with a pronated grip, that's when you'll hit the brach the best. This is all IMO, of course. Reverse grip preacher curl is the #1 for brachialis, imo.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I think it would hit them 'more' but it wouldn't necessarily be the most effective. If you do movements with your hands vertical or with a pronated grip, that's when you'll hit the brach the best. This is all IMO, of course. Reverse grip preacher curl is the #1 for brachialis, imo.
Tried 'em today standing, felt great. I will have to try preacher next time. Do you usually grip it closer or about shoulder width??

gymrattus

gymrattus

Banned
Awards
mix up you grip on the EZ bar,
close grip - inner
wide grip- outter

same as on pull up bar

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
mix up you grip on the EZ bar,
close grip - inner
wide grip- outter

same as on pull up bar
Close grip hits outer
Wide grip hits inner.

If you believe that is how it works on a pull up bar you are mistaken yet again.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I tried EZ reverse curls on the preacher pad the other day. It felt awesome...definately going to keep that one up.

bert1968

bert1968

Awards
IMO, any curls done with a reverse or hammer grip will hit the outside head. Of course with reverse curls you are limited by forearm strength. It also seems to help if the bicep starts in a stretched position. For these reasons my favorite outer biceps exercises are incline and prone db hammer curls.

BifWebster

Awards
wow im surprised noone said incline db curls... that specifically targets the outer head along with any other curling movements where your elbows are behind your torso

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
wow im surprised noone said incline db curls... that specifically targets the outer head along with any other curling movements where your elbows are behind your torso

That isn't true. What dictate which part of the bicep is used is the grip angle and the horizontal relation between the hands and the elbow.s

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 18
Supplements 25
Training Forum 6
Training Forum 16
freefall365 Training Forum 42