Poll: Forum addition-Injury/Treatment

Do you want a Injury/Treatment sub forum added?

• Yes

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Yes and Jayhawkk is hella cool!

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cuffs brought it to our attention that a Injury/Treatment forum would be a good thing to have. What do ya'll think?

I like the idea. We have several people that I know of personally who are training through injuries and using certain supplements to help them along. Might easier to locate them all in one spot.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's a great idea jay!

Edit: and yes, you're hella cool brotha. :D

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
good idea, i have a wealth of experience in this dept - if i do say so myself - so i'd love to share some hard earned knowledge on this topic.

cheers

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is a great idea. I have an elbow injury that has caused pain for over six months. i havent done upper body in two-three months. im just starting to do presses of any kind and doing high rep (I did 30 pounds on each side of the smith machine today , 30 reps and still felt some pain) I cannot do any pull up or pull down movement or arms. It sucks bad. Ive tried a lot. Cissus, bromelain, Physical therapy, had an x-ray, had an MRI, Nsaids, mega dosed fiish oil(currently taking 10 per day now) cut out red meat-because it contains AA which works the exact opposite of fish oil.

Ive taking a couple months off and only have done legs and deadlift. I want to be able to get back in and add some mass all over. In fact I'm burning for it.

Cortisone shot may be next or I may wait as I hear it just masks the pain and it doesn't heal it. I heard hgh injected works and I go by the IFPA/Oco rules; however if this is the only option Id for sure do it for my elbow.I've also HEARD ART therapy is magic.I heard deca works but not significantly.

I tryed flexall 16 % menthol for months and now trying Lg sciences liquid rub on stuff. The bottle is actually out now.

What was the cause? Its so hard to pinpoint. Could have been supporting myself during sex, Missionary.

Could have been improper lifting technique. i could have flarred my elbows too much on presses or done kept my arms strait up on e4xtensions or done something improper form on biceps. or stretched my forearms too much.

It could have been me pushing in carts. so hard to say the cause. I think it was improper lifting technue, maybe going to heavy and pushing with my joints instead of feeling the squeezing the muscle each rep, such powering it up year after year, over the years, and pushing in carts(only did this three months).

Last edited:
A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
totally great idea, and J hella cool grandpa

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I voted yeah, too. Here are some reasons regarding serious inuries from my personal experience
1) Reassurance and moral support for the injured. It's really hard for most of the obsessed (myself included) to know that we can’t work out for 2 months and will be starting over again and if we can really even do it. Also, it's nice to know what is reasonable progress. In some cases its years, but still doable.
2) Know the things (physical therapies mostly) you can do to speed things along.
3) You need to know what to do before you’re hurt, some injuries can wait but some can’t.
4) As well intended as the medical profession/insurance carriers maybe, the bottom line is, in order to get the best treatment you have to be your own advocate.
5) As in anything else, there are definitely screwups in the medical profession, if something doesn’t seem right then challenge it. For example, when I tore both quads (100% on the left, 75% on the right) the MRI people couldn’t find anything wrong. Quads are about the biggest in the human body, you’d have to be blind to miss them. I knew as soon as I walked in to the place I didn’t feel comfortable with the staff, but decided to be open-minded. In the end the surgeon operated on me without really knowing what to expect. I’ve stopped being open-minded.
6) The medical profession seems to have different ideas of what a full recovery is. I think to them, it’s “will the patient recover enough to be normal”, but for us a full recovery means being able to do what we’ve done in the past.
7) It's nice to know that good things can come from all this. While it was one of the worst experiences in my life, there were some experiences that I wouldn't want to do without.

I think Cuff’s problem has a lot to do with items 3, 4, and maybe 5. ISTM ligament repairs can wait because usually they are being completely replaced, while tendons are actually repaired but atrophy pretty fast. It took me 2 weeks to get sewed back together, and some doctors still ask me why I waited so long, it’s because the system can really suck.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get across is that most of us rarely get hurt so we’re really not very good at knowing what to do. And when you’re injured it really too late to get your ducks in a row.

Hope this helps.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I tweaked my wrist doing close-grip bench presses last night. Went too close. It's the outside of my left wrist. I'm icing it and taking some IBpro and tylenol. Any other ideas? I'm thinking of getting some kind of splint, but don't know which. Too keep it straight.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I tweaked my wrist doing close-grip bench presses last night. Went too close. It's the outside of my left wrist. I'm icing it and taking some IBpro and tylenol. Any other ideas? I'm thinking of getting some kind of splint, but don't know which. Too keep it straight.
I suspect this msg isn't meant for this thread (it's suposed to be a poll), but anyway, you'd need to give more details. It sounds like maybe a strain, if that's the case rest and light therapy (high reps) would be one of the things to do. I'm not a big fan of NSAIDs unless you have real pain issues. They don't do anything for the healing process and some say they can make it worse).

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Hell yes! I'm fighting through some elbow pain as well, but it seems to slowly be getting better. I've been lifting for almost 10 years now, but I've had a multitude of injuries from broken bones to a torn tricep; multiple knee operations to a broken back. I'm actually riding my longest 'relatively healthy' streak in a long time, which is at about 9 months. (*Knock on wood*) It'd be great to have a section to turn to for advice, possibly rehab routines, things to avoid, or even just moral support when one's feeling down. I'm all for it.

And Jayhawkk is the coolest snuggler I know!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
This will be probably the most used forum lol. I mean, we are all messed up in one way or another lol.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ain't that the truth :) Might need a psych recovery forum too :p

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read it fast and thought it was an addiction forum...:lol:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay, if you're going to post a no vote then you please leave a reason why..

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I vote yes because injuies are a part of lifting and the one we all could use moral support with!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who voted no?

Don't know ya J, but you got my vote - your avi scares me..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I vote yes as long as there is a companion section entitled "Whiners and Hypochondriacs" where I will hang out most of the time.

S

satyricon

Awards
you had me at treatment.......oh my shoulder,elbows,wrist and neck. tried massage but all i got was a" happy ending"

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I voted yeah, too. Here are some reasons regarding serious inuries from my personal experience
1) Reassurance and moral support for the injured. It's really hard for most of the obsessed (myself included) to know that we can’t work out for 2 months and will be starting over again and if we can really even do it. Also, it's nice to know what is reasonable progress. In some cases its years, but still doable.
2) Know the things (physical therapies mostly) you can do to speed things along.
3) You need to know what to do before you’re hurt, some injuries can wait but some can’t.
4) As well intended as the medical profession/insurance carriers maybe, the bottom line is, in order to get the best treatment you have to be your own advocate.
5) As in anything else, there are definitely screwups in the medical profession, if something doesn’t seem right then challenge it. For example, when I tore both quads (100% on the left, 75% on the right) the MRI people couldn’t find anything wrong. Quads are about the biggest in the human body, you’d have to be blind to miss them. I knew as soon as I walked in to the place I didn’t feel comfortable with the staff, but decided to be open-minded. In the end the surgeon operated on me without really knowing what to expect. I’ve stopped being open-minded.
6) The medical profession seems to have different ideas of what a full recovery is. I think to them, it’s “will the patient recover enough to be normal”, but for us a full recovery means being able to do what we’ve done in the past.
7) It's nice to know that good things can come from all this. While it was one of the worst experiences in my life, there were some experiences that I wouldn't want to do without.

I think Cuff’s problem has a lot to do with items 3, 4, and maybe 5. ISTM ligament repairs can wait because usually they are being completely replaced, while tendons are actually repaired but atrophy pretty fast. It took me 2 weeks to get sewed back together, and some doctors still ask me why I waited so long, it’s because the system can really suck.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get across is that most of us rarely get hurt so we’re really not very good at knowing what to do. And when you’re injured it really too late to get your ducks in a row.

Hope this helps.
Good post

on the you need to know before you get hurt...do you mean study the rehabs of shoulder, knee, elbows so you are prepared before it happens, if it happens?

That makes sense

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Good post

on the you need to know before you get hurt...do you mean study the rehabs of shoulder, knee, elbows so you are prepared before it happens, if it happens?

That makes sense
Specifically, everything from the time of the injury (even before the diagnosis, so this would mean knowing something about all of the possiblities) to rehab. One thing to keep in mind, you are not your doctor's (or anyone else's) first priority so you need to be your own advocate. This is hard to do unless you have some knowledge base (and a combative personnality). You don't have to be a walking encyclopedia just have in mind the general possiblities and what you need to do right away. IMO, from rehab onward, time is less critical so there is more wiggle room.

One last thing, in my experience I met some of the best people ever, and also some of the most incompetant and heartless, you gotta be prepared for everthing.

H

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
An excellent idea, IMO. Too many people (including myself) have trained with a small injury at times, and looking back, it was really just not a good idea. A forum dedicated to the proper treatment and care could smack some sense into us idiots.... minor knicks to severe tears alike.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
great thread thus far.

Can there be a sticky for how to avoid elbow injuries?

How to avoid neck injuries? I talked to a girl i interact today at the bank and she jjust had neck surgery(she didnt say what from i suspect hard sexm, shes kind of wild) anyways point it if you learn the motions NOT to do before it'l be real helpful.

after find out today I had to quit my job (today) and no upper bopdy, not even deads in till my injury heals. Im out of a job and money because of this and muscle tendons , strength goes down. Ill be less manly because of this if I only avoided the cause. I'm strong for this thread because Im going though a tough time. I'm lucky i can live with my parents and let my elbow heal(going to look for a non labor job that would hurt my arm-sales)otherwise if I didn't have parents Id be forced to keep working my old physical job and my elbow wouldn't heal.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Specifically, everything from the time of the injury (even before the diagnosis, so this would mean knowing something about all of the possiblities) to rehab. One thing to keep in mind, you are not your doctor's (or anyone else's) first priority so you need to be your own advocate. This is hard to do unless you have some knowledge base (and a combative personnality). You don't have to be a walking encyclopedia just have in mind the general possiblities and what you need to do right away. IMO, from rehab onward, time is less critical so there is more wiggle room.

One last thing, in my experience I met some of the best people ever, and also some of the most incompetant and heartless, you gotta be prepared for everthing.
agreed.

bump for specific sections like

elbows....

shoulders

lower back

neck

hip

A

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Hell yes, that would be an awesome addition to the forum. I'm young, and I've been plagued with injuries, so it would be awesome to see who out there is suffering with me :D

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
has there been a thread started ion this?

if so please refer me

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
do it...do it...do it...do it!

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I've been away for a while and just saw this. I have some very good info regarding my injury and BOTCHED surgery that I'm still trying to recover from.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been away for a while and just saw this. I have some very good info regarding my injury and BOTCHED surgery that I'm still trying to recover from.
please post it

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ill start the thread

right here...The main thing to heal an injury is the rest is totally and do nothing that causes any pain what so ever.

Proper form! use it

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Need more than 5 votes people! If you're really interested in it, try and get some of your friends to toss in their opinion as well.

A

AM07

Awards
  • Established
There have been a lot of votes, so let's get this subforum started!

D

dpfisher

Yes, I was just looking for a place to post something on this. Let me know if there is a place yet

O

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
This would be great... injuries happen it's how we handle them that makes the difference.