Intense Headache after Squats!?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

Intense Headache after Squats!?

I searched for something similar to this and found some help but I thought I'd maybe see if I could get anymore info on this. I am currently doing German Volume Training I found on here a couple of weeks ago. It's 10 sets of 10. I have been doing fine with it for the past few weeks but today on the last set and last rep I got an intense headache during squats,almost like a migraine. I HAD to sit down. It went away after a few minutes. I even had trouble walking for a while after. The intensity for the rest of my workout was compromised since whenever I got as intense the headache seemed like it would come back. Is this normal for an intense set of squats? It just seemed almost too intense...

I took AAKG before my workout. Wasn't my first time though. I thought maybe it was a possibility that too much blood was going to my legs maybe? My nutrition and rest is very good so I doubt I'm overtraining.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.15%

by chance are you holding your breath? i've been dizzy and sick after doing squats, never got headaches tho...
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

More than likely you were holding your breath. There is a trick called the Valsalva manuever which is where you hold your breath during the concentric phase of a lift. It allows you to strengthen your core by increasing the interior pressure of your abdomen using the air you are holding in. The down side is that is greatly increases blood pressure while you are doing it. A quick spike in blood pressure like that could lead to a serious head ache.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

I usually breath correctly (beathe out during concentric and breathe in during eccentric) but honestly I could have been holding my breath and not even meaning too. Funny thing is it's the day after and if I move my head quickly or something...my head hurts again. I think I might just take a week off so my head doesn't explode.:squat:

Thanks for the help
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.33%

I had this happen to me a couple of times myself. I was told it was 1 of 2 things. Either my breathing pattern was off and oxygen to the body was inbalance and/or I was not taking in enough water.

If your breathing is good trying uping your water intake before hand, see what happens.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.37%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

A lot of your blood rushes away from your upper extremities down into your working muscle group (quads) during heavy squats (or deads). Some people get lightheaded, dizziness, and I've heard of headaches. The body reacts to this downward rush of blood away from the brain by dizziness or headaches, this is an instinctual response to make you lay down and allow the blood to return to the brain as quickly as possible. However, the degree of this reactions varies from person to person.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.33%

This might sound generic, but sounds like lack of hydration... how long have you been on this training regime? After a heavy day of squats I almost need to double my intake of water... Check your hydration... as stated above, blood pressure can lead to headaches too. holding your breath usually only leads to temporary sides, nothing that should last all day. This is why I would say supps that cause high blood pressure and or hydration.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

Like others said and kind of stating the obvious, but breathe, drink water b4, during n after. Also maybe there a supp in there helpin the cause
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

yea...I'll try to stay hydrated and breathe correctly. Think that maybe the AAKG contributed since it increases blood flow?
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.21%

what about bar position? how high does the bar ride on your shoulder girdle? maybe try a slightly lower spot.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

Quote Originally Posted by satyricon View Post
    what about bar position? how high does the bar ride on your shoulder girdle? maybe try a slightly lower spot.
    It pretty low already but I might see if I can get it a bit lower.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

its normal. I get them as well . also on Deads, and rack deads. Than the heavy high last a few hours after=) youll get used to training intensely.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    its normal. I get them as well . also on Deads, and rack deads. Than the heavy high last a few hours after=) youll get used to training intensely.
    Yea,it seems that they are quite common. It was just totally new to me. A pain in the head is never comfortable. Without a doubt that was the hardest I've ever pushed my legs. I just wish I could guarantee it not happening again in the future. It totally ruined the rhythm of my workout.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats vs. Hack Squats
    By gunzblazin1x in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  2. Parallel Squats versus Ass-to-grass squats
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
  3. 5 day headache after squats....
    By RCL86 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4