For the past few weeks i have been trying to bulk up. Doing a 4 day split:

Mon - Legs, Lower Back, Abs
Tue - Chest
Wed - Off
Thur - Shoulders, Upper Back, Abs
Fri - Arms
Sat - Off
Sun - Off

Now this has worked wonders for my Shoulders, my arms and my legs. But my Upper chest refuses to grow :think:

I workout at home using only dumbbells at the moment so
MY chest workout is:

Incline Bench Press 12 reps, 10 reps, 8, 8
Incline Fly 12, 10, 8,8
Flat Bench Press 12,10,8,8
Flat Fly 12,10,8,8

Push ups to failure (close/mid/far)

Those rep figures are my targets. When i hit them i'll increase the weight.

Using AM's Diet tracker i've got my diet (although not ideal in term of what i consume carb wise) to a pretty constant 52%:32%:16% carbs/protien/fat split.

Every other part of my body is responding. Its just my chest that refuses to play ball.

Oh and other than Protien i only take USP Labs PowerFULL.

If anyone can suggest some ideas to wake my chest up into action (given that at the moment i don't have access to most gym equipment) ?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try this:

Flys-press-flys (10,10,10) rest 60sec x2 trisets

Keep the fly weight light, press weight enough to complete reps for all sets (important). Moderate-quick pace - slower on the negative.

I also do a seated press/cable fly, but as you're at home flat/incline should be ok

Do this for 4-6 weeks, then switch to supersets. 12 reps for the flys, 8 for the press. Add in an extra set for total of three sets.

Ive just moved onto push-pull phase - so far this structure is working a treat for me for all muscle groups.

Good Luck mate

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh, and at 156lbs you should be eating like Godzilla!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Cheers, yeah i'm eating as much as i can. I seem to be putting on 1lb per week and (from looking in the mirror) am losing fat at the same time.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Had a similar problem, I cut the flies and stuck with flat bench followed by incline dumbell press 3 sets each, it worked wonders!

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Had a similar problem, I cut the flies and stuck with flat bench followed by incline dumbell press 3 sets each, it worked wonders!
I was thinking the same thing, too many flies, I’m thinking 3 sets is enough. I wouldn’t go over 13 sets total for chest. Also, your protein intake is OK, but if you have a 2000 cal diet, if I did the math write, 32% of 2000 is 640cal which equals 160 grams, then I would suggest upping it something like 40grams to start.

Also, you’re doing your chest routine the day after legs. Nothing wrong with it, but since your concern is now chest I’d suggest try switching them. Leg wo’s can be brutal, and your energy and CNS levels may not be completely recovered.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also, you’re doing your chest routine the day after legs. Nothing wrong with it, but since your concern is now chest I’d suggest try switching them. Leg wo’s can be brutal, and your energy and CNS levels may not be completely recovered.
Aint that the truth? I need 2 days off after Legs/Shoulders!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Aint that the truth? I need 2 days off no training after Legs/Shoulders!

If you're trying to bulk, think about reducing to a 3-day split - you only grow when you're eating and resting enough. DBinMD mentioned your protein intake - what about your fats? Hope you're eating heaps of full-cream dairy and eggs.

Last edited:

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
BDinMD: I'm taking in about 2200-2300 cals a day which breaks down to:

177 g protien
300 g Carbs
40 g Fat

So hitting 200g's of Protein shouldn't be too much harder, just add a shake mid morning.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established

177 g protien
300 g Carbs
40 g Fat

So hitting 200g's of Protein shouldn't be too much harder, just add a shake mid morning.
Those fat levels look a little low - if you have a blender, add in whole eggs to your protein shakes - they mix in fine and protein powder masks any taste

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Well i eat a 4 egg scrambled egg on toast mid-afternoon, (2 eggs, 2 egg whites) so i could always shift it to 3 eggs, 1 egg white ?

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established

177 g protien
300 g Carbs
40 g Fat

Good, but I'm still inclined to say 200gms should be your minium and go a little higher if you can. Also, make sure you get about 30 grms of protein immediately after your wo.

good luck, let us know how things go.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well i eat a 4 egg scrambled egg on toast mid-afternoon, (2 eggs, 2 egg whites) so i could always shift it to 3 eggs, 1 egg white ?
lol - never be afraid of whole eggs unless you're cutting. Try 4 - 6 whole eggs scrambled with cream and cheese after your legs workout

Good Luck mate

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
yep, i chug down a shake immediately after my workout and take in some carbs too. Then put dinner on to eat about an hour later.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
My 2 cents...

Make sure your form is correct. A lot of people have a tendency to push from there hands when doing chest exercises and not from there chest.

I had the problem awhile ago and after I corrected my form my chest started growing.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
It does feel like my form is ok, i mean the muscles that i'm trying to target are the ones that i can actually feel getting tired (if that makes sense)

However i have noticed that sometimes a muscle in my shoulder starts to ache (Traps, middle fibre). Its a bit annoying cause sometime is happens, sometimes it doesnt and i cant figure out how on earth i'm hitting that muscle.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
However i have noticed that sometimes a muscle in my shoulder starts to ache (Traps, middle fibre). Its a bit annoying cause sometime is happens, sometimes it doesnt and i cant figure out how on earth i'm hitting that muscle.
This is a new one for me, but IMO, inclines put more stress on the traps than flat bench, you might try looking at your incline form or do something to strengthen your traps.

As far as your traps go, you didn't mention what you do for upper back and shoulders, but I assume you're doing shoulder presses (which, I believe, also works your traps) but maybe not something like lat pulls. If your not you may want to give them a try for awhile and see what happens

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Shoulders/Upper Back is:

Arnold Press/Bent over Row (doing 8 reps max of one then straight into 8 reps max of the other)

that x4.

I'm going to try a lesser incline on my incline chest press/flys tommorow, see if i still feel the odd traps ache.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to be the jerk and come out and say it...

Sometimes, no matter how you diet or train, certain bodyparts may just never grow. I personally can't get my arms to grow at all. Nothing I can do about it. I've tried everything. It just doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen...with that said, I'll leave this quote:

"Ever try? Ever fail? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett

Summary: Keep working at it!

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes, no matter how you diet or train, certain bodyparts may just never grow. I personally can't get my arms to grow at all. Nothing I can do about it. I've tried everything. It just doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen...with that said, I'll leave this quote:
"Ever try? Ever fail? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett
Summary: Keep working at it!
True, on all points.

Shoulders/Upper Back is:
Arnold Press/Bent over Row (doing 8 reps max of one then straight into 8 reps max of the other)
that x4.
I’m still a little inclined to recommend something more than the bent over rows for back. In my experience, the back (assuming reasonable precautions) is a large area and can take a lot of punishment. Think about maybe adding something like pull downs or trap pulls. Personally, I like bent over rows a lot and recommend keeping them, but I’m not sure they do much for traps. Either way, do whatever you feel you’ll enjoy and makes the most sense to you.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
True, on all points.

I’m still a little inclined to recommend something more than the bent over rows for back. In my experience, the back (assuming reasonable precautions) is a large area and can take a lot of punishment. Think about maybe adding something like pull downs or trap pulls. Personally, I like bent over rows a lot and recommend keeping them, but I’m not sure they do much for traps. Either way, do whatever you feel you’ll enjoy and makes the most sense to you.
Can't go passed chins for back development.

I'm still in my superset phase:

weighted chins/cable rows (8/12) x3
rear delts/ bentover row (12/8) x3

I do my traps with my shoulder workout - upright rows

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Well did chest today and it feels dead now :)

I don't think I'm getting enough carbs in though. I'm always yawning during the day and feel tired despite 8 hours sleep. And when it came to starting my work out I just about managed my first set, but my second set i had to stop half way, my arms just didnt have the energy to hold the weight!

I took an extended break (5 mins) psyched myself up, put on some music LOUD! and went at it again. Much better :bb3:

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Well did chest today and it feels dead now :)

I don't think I'm getting enough carbs in though. I'm always yawning during the day and feel tired despite 8 hours sleep. And when it came to starting my work out I just about managed my first set, but my second set i had to stop half way, my arms just didnt have the energy to hold the weight!

I took an extended break (5 mins) psyched myself up, put on some music LOUD! and went at it again. Much better :bb3:
To be honest, the flat bench is something I never rush thru. If it takes me 5 mins to recover, so be it. I can try to keep a fast pace thru the rest of my wo.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Bit of an odd update but tonight was my first shift back on the bar at my part time job after a 3 week holiday (i'm a university student).

I got noticeably more interest from the ladies. Also the age bracket seems to have widened. I've always had a sort of baby-faced look to me, not helped by my skinny figure. As a result i've tended to not get much interest from girls my own age (26) and instead get it from 19-22yr olds (ish) .

Tonight i got alot of looks from girls more my own age, i previously hadnt even considered because of this issue.

So far so good then :) Hope this keeps going. Oh and i'm up another 1lb this week.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Now this has worked wonders for my Shoulders, my arms and my legs. But my Upper chest refuses to grow :think:
I'm not assuming you are, but maybe you are using a lot of shoulders on your press. Do you tuck your shoulder blades back when you do bench? If not, start doing that to take some shoulders out of the movement.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Since no-one else has mentioned it, I'll point out that you're doing 4 sets, dropping from 12 to 8 reps; if *growth* is your goal, I'd recommend increasing your weight (never mentioned your poundages) until 3 x 8 is the most you can manage, then doing 10/10/however many you can squeeze out. When you can do 3 sets of 10 w/ good form & perfect control, bump to a new weight you can sweat out 3x8 with once again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also: strongly agree you should be getting a rest day after working chest (personally, I work chest & shoulders same-day). And yes, your carb choices are important, but your protein is a better strategic lever: after a tough-@ss workout you've GOT to make sure your body has plenty of rest AND plenty of protein.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Since no-one else has mentioned it, I'll point out that you're doing 4 sets, dropping from 12 to 8 reps; if *growth* is your goal, I'd recommend increasing your weight (never mentioned your poundages) until 3 x 8 is the most you can manage, then doing 10/10/however many you can squeeze out. When you can do 3 sets of 10 w/ good form & perfect control, bump to a new weight you can sweat out 3x8 with once again.
:goodpost:

I second that suggestion, along with improving your form, as others have mentioned. I can't really bring anything up that hasn't been said yet, so I'm going to get my unoriginal ass out of this discussion.