Votes: 38 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 107 73.8%

• Total voters
planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to have a workout partner sometimes because it really helps to have a good spotter sometimes. I hate asking people to spot me at the gym. I feel like I'm annoying them and half the time they don't know how to spot at all. Sometimes though I just find it easier to put my headphones in and zone out.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fukc that, solo is where it's at.

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
I prefer solo everyday except chest day. I get more intensity when I dont have to talk to anyone.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
half the time they don't know how to spot at all.

easier to put my headphones in and zone out.
Those are my reasons for not having a training partner. In addition to that, i've never found anyone whose willing to keep up with me. Im not saying im the most intense iron jungle lion out there, but most people i've gotten to go to the gym with me start wearing out when im just crankn it up.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have the best of both worlds. I train with a trainer and she tells me what I need to know and then steps out of the way and lets me do it. She does not talk to me while I'm lifting and if I need a spot she watches me hit failure and quietly walks up and spots me to the finish.

daavy6

daavy6

Awards
I was foolish and bought a membership to a "healthclub" style workout place for the summer since it was close. Spotters there consist of, "hey so yeah at work today there was this______(insert lameass mundane job talk no one cares about)." These spotters are more of a detriment than anything since they just shoot the breeze while I'm like "Get out of my way jackass so I can do my crap and get out of here." And the normal person doesn't have a clue how to spot it seems like. Usually I pray I run into a friend on chest day, other than that, no dice.

Wish I had a lifting partner though. Lot easier at school and with fball. Over Christmas I'm hitting up this hole in the wall joint that looks like it's been around for 50 years that replaces flat screen tv's with barrels of powder. yeehaw.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
yeah right

I basically fired my last partner.

I have only had 1 good lifting partner in my life......He weighed 240 at the time and i couldnt lift the same.......

My last 3 have been losers............missing days, not wanting to do legs,

I just get in my groove and tune the BS out. Lift and get out.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i trained alone forever until i meet that homo clipse. sometimes it just seems that we are just in the gym together doing the same workout cause we rarely talk to each other using hand signals for adding weight and only really spot each other on our last sets of heavy pressing movements!

this is a toss up for me, but having someone one the same page as you has greatly helped me out but our schedules are different so we train half together and half alone!

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to train solo as well, went thru probly 3 or 4 people who just didnt wanna train, couldnt keep up, etc etc. I do beleive that having a partner with the same love for working out, same intensity, etc is a great thing to have.

Like Raging said we workout togethor but a lot of the time were doing other things along with our main workout. We dont need to talk to get **** done and we kill it, week in and week out.

So im voting for a partner on this one, its helped me push to new limits and better approach my training and everything along with it!

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
SOLO!!!! my partner is a power rack
lol

I normally lift solo but I have one guy who is great to workout with my strength age and experience... and we both have same goals

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Solo all the way man. Pop in my head phones, music gets me pumped, and then forget the mindless drones around me. The only partner i use is weights, and thats all you need.

satyricon

Awards
none of my "associates" have even similar goals so im solo.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I have lifted alone for the past 7 years or so. Tuesday this kid I always see at the gym asked if he could workout with me. He's a young guy, but he's pretty strong, and he always seems to work hard. Turns out his partner moved to NC. I told him my split, and he wants to start training with me. So today'll be our first full day working out together. We'll see. I've gotten really used to the solo thing, but if I can benefit from this maybe it'll be a good change. If not, I'm gonna have to send him off. I'm not against lifting with someone else, but I generally play by my own rules and do my own thing, so if it's gonna hold me back - adios, my friend.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
For ten year's I've trained alone. I'm a full time firefighter and because of the 24/48 shift it's tough to get someone on the same split. This summer I started training with my wife. Since doing that, I've had some of the best workouts ever. She hates to spend a long time in the gym, so the workouts that normally took me around an hour and a half now take an hour. I get much less rest between sets. Also, when I go heavy and want to do some assisted reps past failure, she is unable to take over a lift like some male spotters would do. She trains with more intensity than 90% of the guys in the gym. On the sappy side, we've gotten closer in our marriage since we started training together.

In fact, I've started a log on here for showing our workouts.

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I wish I had a workout partner. :( I always felt like I had better pace and a better workout when I lifted with someone.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I work out with a partner like 90% of the time, but if schedules allowed it would be all the time. It helps to have some friendly competition, as well as a reliable spotter you know you can trust. Also on days when I don't really feel like working out, I have a commitment to be there for my partner even if I don't feel like it, so personally it helps me a lot.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i superset wayyyy to fast to have someone following me around..lol...

jonnyjames

jonnyjames

Awards
  • Established
haha...

it probably sounds fkuced up, but i ignore my friends calls/texts when they want to go to the gym..... mostly becuz when i go with them all they do is bittch and say they wanna hit the sauna.

solo is so much better

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I train 2x week with a trainer, 1x by myself.

A trainer is different to training with someone else, as his focus is on you (or should be). Can assist with forced reps, spotting etc - this is good when you've got some areas you need to work on.

When I train by myself Im in the zone - don't make eye contact or chat. Don't offer help just do my thing.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I have a partner who enables me to train alot harder than I would by myself, by spotting me, emotional abuse and competition.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
wish you were in nor cal brotha. thats all i've done for the past year, with the best results possible.

yaa!! ive been on my routine for around 8 months..if i ever visit ill be sure to send u a pm! i almost went to LA last month but decided to buy a handgun! (lol, im from texas) ive been seeing good results as well though... i really havent increased strengh.. but my cuts are getting really deep, and muscle seperation is sooooo much more defined..

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
everyone i know goes to 24, i have LA Fit.. so i really dont have a choice
met a few guys at the gym and now my workouts have extended to almost 1 hr 30 to4 5 mins instead of an hour because they want to talk and socialize..
i prefer solo except once a week when i go with pops to the gym and then i know i have a spotter i can trust, i have seen guys ask around the gym for spotters and have them drop weight on them, id rather go with someone i trust

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
SOLO+headphones= 2-3hours... my friends try to hang, but they just cant get outa bed the next day

Ether

Awards
Solo for me as well. I have tried a few partners but they don't show or complain/talk too dam much. Besides no one motivates me like I do.

epyon49

epyon49

Awards
i recently found out i get a better workout solo because no distractions and no slowing down and i depend on myself to lift the weight.

fast1

Awards
i've done both. right now i'm solo, but i don't mind asking someone for a spot. it just gets annoying that i have to explain to each new person not to be a typical bar molester that moves the weight for you while saying "that's all you! that's all you." just give me a lift if i ask, and let me do my thing after that.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
haha ya like i stated im love solo but i hate struggling on like a 15th rep ..last set...then halfway up i get stuck..... i always wink at someone and say, hey bud... lil help

dommer

Banned
Awards
alone every time i tried going with a friend

a) all they want to do is talk
b)they never want to do cardio
c)they mostly want to work on arms and do everything else half assed

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I have lifted alone for the past 7 years or so. Tuesday this kid I always see at the gym asked if he could workout with me. He's a young guy, but he's pretty strong, and he always seems to work hard. Turns out his partner moved to NC. I told him my split, and he wants to start training with me. So today'll be our first full day working out together. We'll see. I've gotten really used to the solo thing, but if I can benefit from this maybe it'll be a good change. If not, I'm gonna have to send him off. I'm not against lifting with someone else, but I generally play by my own rules and do my own thing, so if it's gonna hold me back - adios, my friend.
This lasted about 2 weeks. I just feel so much better and in complete control of things when I'm working out on my own. :thumbsup:

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Get in the gym, bang out a hard workout and keep it movin',... solo!!! I tried the partner thing and as someone said earlier, they never want to do cardio. I fell into a lapse myself and have put on some pounds.

dozer7

dozer7

Awards
every partner i ever had quits on me after leg day, or they take a week off and come back till next leg day and leave for a week again.

BiggerGeek

Awards
No partner here.

I used to, but since then I have learned the benefits of not training to complete failure (so no spotter leaded). In my opinion, if you neeedd a spot to finish the rep, you didn't really do the rep.

Plus I have never found a reliable partner, or one who didn't want to talk the whole time.

I wouldn't mind having a partner to do some cardio though. Like pushing cars or some sandbag work or something. I'd look like a tard pushing a car or running around with a sandbag myself.

Aggression

Aggression

Awards
If I was able to find a partner to train with that actually stuck it out with me, week after week, month after month, then I would definitely take one. But I have yet to find someone who is willing to do that with me. Usually I train with a new partner for about a week's time, and by week 3 they end up taking a day off here and there at first, complaining about soreness, or something else dumb, eventually they stop coming all together.

I need a hardcore lifter to join me in my DC training!!! I need someone who will hit the gym consistently, never missing a workout for dumb reasons!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I have someone spot me on heavy reps of 2 or 3, bit thats about it. usually I get someone that I am friends with to do it so they know how to spot me due to them having done it before...

safety is a virtue, its hard to build muscle when you have fractured bones.

but as for working out in teams? I hate that...I also can't stand when someone is like 'can I work in with ya' ...

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This lasted about 2 weeks. I just feel so much better and in complete control of things when I'm working out on my own. :thumbsup:
/Agree

I hate working out with people who really don't know what they are doing. I worked out with a guy for about a week and he wanted to workout chest 3 times a week. Hit the road Jack!

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
I have a crazy schedule with working 24 hour shifts at the fire house. I normally workout at the gym with 2 other guys. One good friend who is 160 pounder that is strong as **** for his size and always motivated. The other a retired firefighter is 61 years young and I do mean young. He is an animal, especially for his age. He was part of a local powerlifting team in his 40's and has all kinds of experience and good advice...Some how he keeps up with all the 20 somethings in the gym......

Sergiu

Awards
I just started to work out with a guy in my college gym and it's pretty good so far, since we have the same goals and we both know how to ****ing spot. I hate people who just lift the frigging bar of you instead of GENTLY helping you past the point where you can't do your last reps.

If they prove to be more of a hassle, I'd rather workout alone.

84bandit

i see it two ways, i worked out with a guy for 6 months who was a little stronger than me, and the competition drove me hard. i lifted to beat him, not just myself. he moved to college, and since then i have had 4 lifting partners. and they have all quit at one point or another, excpet one, but he doesnt lift much, but he is a decent spotter, and does try to motivate me to work. but i usually roll solo.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i'd like to have a partner for spotting me but mostly i lift alone at home.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I dont have a training partner. I would like one to spot me in the gym etc, but mostly to help me with diet and such outside of the gym. Keep each other contantly cooking good meals etc.

SinfulBirth

Awards
Solo is the way to go. I go sometimes with a buddy but we don't do the same muscle groups that day... which is the way to go... that way you guys don't talk and get distracted but when you need a spot you have someone you can trust. Having a spotter I don't trust always Fs me up.

Sergiu

Awards
Solo is the way to go. I go sometimes with a buddy but we don't do the same muscle groups that day... which is the way to go... that way you guys don't talk and get distracted but when you need a spot you have someone you can trust. Having a spotter I don't trust always Fs me up.
I was doing bench and this dude was spotting me and when I struggled a tiny bit he pulled the bar from my hands almost completely. I was like... What the **** dude? Having a good spotter is important IMO.