How many people workout with a partner? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Poll: Do you have a workout partner?

How many people workout with a partner?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  227 lbs.

If I was able to find a partner to train with that actually stuck it out with me, week after week, month after month, then I would definitely take one. But I have yet to find someone who is willing to do that with me. Usually I train with a new partner for about a week's time, and by week 3 they end up taking a day off here and there at first, complaining about soreness, or something else dumb, eventually they stop coming all together.

I need a hardcore lifter to join me in my DC training!!! I need someone who will hit the gym consistently, never missing a workout for dumb reasons!

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

I have someone spot me on heavy reps of 2 or 3, bit thats about it. usually I get someone that I am friends with to do it so they know how to spot me due to them having done it before...

safety is a virtue, its hard to build muscle when you have fractured bones.

but as for working out in teams? I hate that...I also can't stand when someone is like 'can I work in with ya' ...
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  3. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    This lasted about 2 weeks. I just feel so much better and in complete control of things when I'm working out on my own.
    /Agree

I hate working out with people who really don't know what they are doing. I worked out with a guy for about a week and he wanted to workout chest 3 times a week. Hit the road Jack!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

I have a crazy schedule with working 24 hour shifts at the fire house. I normally workout at the gym with 2 other guys. One good friend who is 160 pounder that is strong as **** for his size and always motivated. The other a retired firefighter is 61 years young and I do mean young. He is an animal, especially for his age. He was part of a local powerlifting team in his 40's and has all kinds of experience and good advice...Some how he keeps up with all the 20 somethings in the gym......
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

My husband is my spotter.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

I just started to work out with a guy in my college gym and it's pretty good so far, since we have the same goals and we both know how to ****ing spot. I hate people who just lift the frigging bar of you instead of GENTLY helping you past the point where you can't do your last reps.

If they prove to be more of a hassle, I'd rather workout alone.
  7. 84bandit

i see it two ways, i worked out with a guy for 6 months who was a little stronger than me, and the competition drove me hard. i lifted to beat him, not just myself. he moved to college, and since then i have had 4 lifting partners. and they have all quit at one point or another, excpet one, but he doesnt lift much, but he is a decent spotter, and does try to motivate me to work. but i usually roll solo.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

i'd like to have a partner for spotting me but mostly i lift alone at home.
  9. Senior Member

I dont have a training partner. I would like one to spot me in the gym etc, but mostly to help me with diet and such outside of the gym. Keep each other contantly cooking good meals etc.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  210 lbs.

Solo is the way to go. I go sometimes with a buddy but we don't do the same muscle groups that day... which is the way to go... that way you guys don't talk and get distracted but when you need a spot you have someone you can trust. Having a spotter I don't trust always Fs me up.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SinfulBirth View Post
    Solo is the way to go. I go sometimes with a buddy but we don't do the same muscle groups that day... which is the way to go... that way you guys don't talk and get distracted but when you need a spot you have someone you can trust. Having a spotter I don't trust always Fs me up.
    I was doing bench and this dude was spotting me and when I struggled a tiny bit he pulled the bar from my hands almost completely. I was like... What the **** dude? Having a good spotter is important IMO.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206.5 lbs.

I've been lifting alone for the majority of the time, but am now lifting with my friends who asked to come alone for help and advice. That was about 3 months ago, and he is still motivated and shows up.

I've gone through a few lifting buddies when they apoligize for missing a workout, usually leg day, and aren't motivated. My default response is "Don't apoligize, I don't care if you show up. I'll be here even if you won't be"
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

My workout partner just moved to go to school in Colorado. Great guy, but not the greatest workout partner. He did some serious overtraining and always wanted me aboard. It'll be nice to just stick to exactly what I want to do for a while.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I had a workout partner. But he just stopped coming to the gym because (get this) it took him 6 months to move into his house!! And he is starting to come back he is mad because I way further then him in everything. now he just wants to talk while we lift, and I'm no longer getting a good workout. Lets see working out by myself = 1 hour, having a partner to work out and get the same workout = 2 hours, NO thank you I have a life and need to get stuff done. And he never wants to do free weights, I know he is basicly just starting again but what the hell!!
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WarcraftJJS View Post
    I had a workout partner. But he just stopped coming to the gym because (get this) it took him 6 months to move into his house!! And he is starting to come back he is mad because I way further then him in everything. now he just wants to talk while we lift, and I'm no longer getting a good workout. Lets see working out by myself = 1 hour, having a partner to work out and get the same workout = 2 hours, NO thank you I have a life and need to get stuff done. And he never wants to do free weights, I know he is basicly just starting again but what the hell!!
    show him whos boss. make him cry a bit
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjames View Post
    haha...

it probably sounds fkuced up, but i ignore my friends calls/texts when they want to go to the gym..... mostly becuz when i go with them all they do is bittch and say they wanna hit the sauna.

solo is so much better
    times 2
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Me and my best friend are workout partners and we get some of the best pumps, we push each other to the limits, and I have him on chest/back he has me on shoulders/legs so we push each other and always compete It's great, I lifted solo for about 5 years (on and off in football season college ball etc) and since I started lifting with him 4 months ago, My max on everything has gone up at least 50 pounds if not more (i bench 400 2 times max before was like 305 2 times)
  18. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    Fukc that, solo is where it's at.
    Same here. It's good to have a partner in case you need a spot, but I know plenty of people at my gym that I can borrow if I want to go heavier than normal. People think I slack, because it takes me just over an hour to finish a WO, and not 2.5 like everyone else. I hate waiting for people to finish their sets etc...
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.

I have a workout partner but sometimes wish I didn’t he isn’t that motivated and on days im not he doesn’t help me get motivated at all
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

I have a partner, but he is reliable, pushes me, understands we have a reason for being there, doesn't bs, and is a NPC level competitor, so its a great thing. Plus we do get some laughs in while there so it improves mood, and workouts.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

No partner for me, I train to early for most people.

5AM.
  22. SFW
    Stats
    6'1"  208 lbs.

i normally work out solo when I'm at college but i prefer a partner for the simple aspect of more motivation
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    Those are my reasons for not having a training partner. In addition to that, i've never found anyone whose willing to keep up with me. Im not saying im the most intense iron jungle lion out there, but most people i've gotten to go to the gym with me start wearing out when im just crankn it up.
    I'm in that situation right now
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

In all the years I have been lifting, I have had two workout partners that actually knew what they were doing or really worked out. Others would say that they want to work out, then they don't show up, or always have some excuse. Now I workout alone, I don't really like it, but I am a self motivator so I am making good progress. I really only miss them when I want to go heavy and have to look around like a fool for someone to spot me. One time I asked this guy to spot me on the bench... first of all he put his nuts right over my damn head.. so I had to tell him to back up. Then he takes the weight right out my damn hand instead of just "riding" with me. Then a damn bead of sweat dropped on my forehead so that just killed my set. Now I hide from him, cause he always wants to come and talk to me.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

i think ipods are a great training partner, if the real thing isnt available. but you need someone who is equal if not alittle better than you. no one likes to baby sit
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by babywifey View Post
    My husband is my spotter.
    this and a tax break are the only reasons for marriage.

My workout partner shares my goals. We compete together-in the same class so we are constantly trying to surpass eachother. Never had as many kick ass workouts as I do now having a partner.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Solo, thought I did work out with friends in college.

Now I find that working out solo is a lot easier, and I don't waste as much time. My workouts take half as much time and I'm sure I do way more exercises. All I need is my mp3 player and bottle of water.
  28. New Member

dude i go through workout partners like ....... like i dunno but i go through a lot its ridiculous, and nobody gets serious about it like i do, but really unless they can stay consistent with u its no good, and they gotta do all the same workouts and stuff or its worthless anyways... and i don't wait on people either, when i wanna workout i go, and i'm not gonna be rushed to go, so we have to be on the exact time schedule which would never happen lol... it is cool to have a spotter sometimes though
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.

i'm able to zone in, focus and do the work much better solo...hate having that "spell" broken by someone's blabla.....plus, solo i'm in and out in 45 mins...
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i work out with my twin brother, who happens to be just a tad stronger than me. Nevertheless he makes a good workout partner.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Workout Partner
    By bigironkiller in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 12:49 AM
  2. Workout Partner
    By jamesf in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 05:25 PM
  3. Replies: 286
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
  4. Replies: 3