symmetry help

over40

over40

Awards
Hello everyone, I am new to not only this site and forums, but also to lifting, although over the years I have been in and out of gyms; never really dedicated any time though.
I have been back in the gym for about 6 weeks and I have noticed that my right pec is larger(more toned) than my left. Bicep and tricep as well.

My question is this, what excersises can I do and how often to get an equal showing of my 2 halves? Are dumbells required? Should I do more reps on one side? Heavier weight?
I am somewhat alarmed!! Is this as big a deal as I am making it out to be or is it normal?

-thanks
Over40

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I've got a similar issue. My left pec has always been slightly larger than my right, but my right arm is also slightly larger than my left. I'm right handed, if it matters.

I'm curious to hear what people suggest. I just kinda always figured they'd eventually even out if I kept working them the same. As my chest has developed, it's not as bad as it was before, but you can kinda still tell.

over40

over40

Awards
Shaddow thanks! I know I am not alone(haha)
I'll keep you posted on replies-

over40

ACSlayer

Awards
Anatomically, most humans have a larger left pectoral muscle naturally. It is larger in order to protect the most important muscle of all!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i heard that if one side is bigger than another, you need to do an extra set or two on the smaller side - dumbells obviously, to stress the weaker muscle into growing more than the bigger muscle. thats all i know, and its information from reading - not first hand knowledge.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I've got a similar issue. My left pec has always been slightly larger than my right, but my right arm is also slightly larger than my left. I'm right handed, if it matters.

I'm curious to hear what people suggest. I just kinda always figured they'd eventually even out if I kept working them the same. As my chest has developed, it's not as bad as it was before, but you can kinda still tell.
Your right arm is bigger and right pec is smaller because your tricep over powers it (because you're right handed). This is the opposite on the left side, which is why your left pec is larger than your right. It's very common.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Your right arm is bigger and right pec is smaller because your tricep over powers it (because you're right handed). This is the opposite on the left side, which is why your left pec is larger than your right. It's very common.
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the issue. They've evened out a little, but they're still not quite symmetrical yet. *shrugs*

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Anatomically, most humans have a larger left pectoral muscle naturally. It is larger in order to protect the most important muscle of all!
Can I get a reference on that one?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well, it is not the most scientifical thing, BUT, I try to do free weights instead of any machines or bar exercises to fix that.

Instead of hiting the bench press, I do free weight on each hand at the same time so that way I don't overcompensate any side.

As far as arms, I'd suggest doing a couple of extra reps on the weaker side, even if cheated with help from your strong side.

over40

over40

Awards
I thank everyone for the reply's, I will work a few extra sets on the weak side and post again as progress is made, possibly helping someone else out w/ the same concerns.

Do you think a month in should be enough to see a change?
Also, I started taking Jungle Warfare, any help with what can be stacked w/it would be welcome as well as a realistic gains possibility-

Thanks,
over40