symmetry help

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.5%

symmetry help

Hello everyone, I am new to not only this site and forums, but also to lifting, although over the years I have been in and out of gyms; never really dedicated any time though.
    I have been back in the gym for about 6 weeks and I have noticed that my right pec is larger(more toned) than my left. Bicep and tricep as well.

My question is this, what excersises can I do and how often to get an equal showing of my 2 halves? Are dumbells required? Should I do more reps on one side? Heavier weight?
    I am somewhat alarmed!! Is this as big a deal as I am making it out to be or is it normal?

-thanks
    Over40

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.05%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Haha, I've got a similar issue. My left pec has always been slightly larger than my right, but my right arm is also slightly larger than my left. I'm right handed, if it matters.

I'm curious to hear what people suggest. I just kinda always figured they'd eventually even out if I kept working them the same. As my chest has developed, it's not as bad as it was before, but you can kinda still tell.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.5%

symmetry help

Shaddow thanks! I know I am not alone(haha)
    I'll keep you posted on replies-

over40
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.97%

Anatomically, most humans have a larger left pectoral muscle naturally. It is larger in order to protect the most important muscle of all!
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

i heard that if one side is bigger than another, you need to do an extra set or two on the smaller side - dumbells obviously, to stress the weaker muscle into growing more than the bigger muscle. thats all i know, and its information from reading - not first hand knowledge.
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    Haha, I've got a similar issue. My left pec has always been slightly larger than my right, but my right arm is also slightly larger than my left. I'm right handed, if it matters.

I'm curious to hear what people suggest. I just kinda always figured they'd eventually even out if I kept working them the same. As my chest has developed, it's not as bad as it was before, but you can kinda still tell.
    Your right arm is bigger and right pec is smaller because your tricep over powers it (because you're right handed). This is the opposite on the left side, which is why your left pec is larger than your right. It's very common.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.05%

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger1 View Post
    Your right arm is bigger and right pec is smaller because your tricep over powers it (because you're right handed). This is the opposite on the left side, which is why your left pec is larger than your right. It's very common.
    Yeah, I kinda figured that was the issue. They've evened out a little, but they're still not quite symmetrical yet. *shrugs*
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.17%

Quote Originally Posted by ACSlayer View Post
    Anatomically, most humans have a larger left pectoral muscle naturally. It is larger in order to protect the most important muscle of all!
    Can I get a reference on that one?
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%

Well, it is not the most scientifical thing, BUT, I try to do free weights instead of any machines or bar exercises to fix that.

Instead of hiting the bench press, I do free weight on each hand at the same time so that way I don't overcompensate any side.

As far as arms, I'd suggest doing a couple of extra reps on the weaker side, even if cheated with help from your strong side.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.5%

I thank everyone for the reply's, I will work a few extra sets on the weak side and post again as progress is made, possibly helping someone else out w/ the same concerns.

Do you think a month in should be enough to see a change?
    Also, I started taking Jungle Warfare, any help with what can be stacked w/it would be welcome as well as a realistic gains possibility-

Thanks,
    over40