What are your opinions on this workout?

sts184

Awards
Hey guys, im new here but have been lifting weights quite religiously for about 4 years. I have been doing this workout for almost a week and was wondering if i could get some insight or any opinions you may have for improvement.

I am looking to gain strength and put on some lean mass.. just some good dry gains.

Monday - Chest/Back HEAVY

barbell bench - 4 x 10,8,6,4
incline dumbbell bench - 3 x 8,6,4
decline dumbbell - 3 x 8,6,4
one arm dumbbell rows - 3 x 8,6,4
lat pulldowns (behind neck) - 3 x 8,6,4

Tuesday - Shoulders/Arms HEAVY
dumbbell shoulder press - 4 x 10,8,6,4
upright rows - 3x 8,6,4
front latteral raises - 3 x 8,6,4
standing barbell curls - 4 x 10,8,6,4
decline skull crushers - 4 x 10,8,6,4
seated hammer curls - 3x 8,6,4
tri extensions (rope) - 3x 8,6,4

Wednesday - Legs

Squats - 4x 10,8,6,4
Lunges - 3x 8,6,4
leg extensions - 3x 8,6,4
calve raises - 4x 15,10,8,6

Thursday - chest/back LIGHT

dumbell bench - 4x 15,12,10,8
incline barbell - 3x 15,12,10
cable flies - 3x 15,12,10
seated rows- 4x 15,12,10,8
pullups - 4x failure

Friday - shoulders/arms LIGHT

Arnold press - 4x 15,12,10,8
shrugs - 3x 15,12,10
preacher curls - 3x 15,12,10
overhead tri ext - 3x 15,12,10
seated hammer curls - 3x 15,12,10
dips- 4x failure

I will also be stacking purple wraath, green mag, and RPM along with the usual protein and multi.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
maybe on one of the back days do a lower back extention on the roman chair... maybe throw in deadlifts every other leg workout and i dono if you already have a pretty developed back, but it seems you should add one more lift on back HEAVY day, like a low or high iso row
and a quick question
when u do hammer curls do u do them across your chest or in front? i have seen and heard different opinions, so normally i sit on the fence and do 2 sets across and 2 in front
all in all it looks good, especially props on the aarnold press, its one of my favs

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
too much benching on Monday, not enough back work. You probably should deadlift. Ditch the pulldowns on Monday and replace it with deads. For you chest why not one heavy press each workout followed by a fly at a different angle. You are trying to pile tons of upper body work into a 5 day split and your legs are an afterthought. Your best bet imo is to set up a 4 day upper/lower split.

sts184

Awards
when u do hammer curls do u do them across your chest or in front? i have seen and heard different opinions, so normally i sit on the fence and do 2 sets across and 2 in front
all in all it looks good, especially props on the aarnold press, its one of my favs

funny you should ask that, i am always torn between the two and cant decide which i like better. so i am in the same boat as you and find myself mixing them up a bit

thanks for the feedback guys. and yes, i am doing a lot of upper body and focusing less on the legs. this is mainly because i do two sports and have aches and pains a lot but i do them when i can - dont want any injuries. i also prefer lifting 5 days a week during the summer because when im back at college i only get in around 3 times per. as for the dead lifts i was taking a break from them because i was doing them heavy for a while but maybe its time to add them in again.

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
too much benching on Monday, not enough back work. You probably should deadlift. Ditch the pulldowns on Monday and replace it with deads. For you chest why not one heavy press each workout followed by a fly at a different angle. You are trying to pile tons of upper body work into a 5 day split and your legs are an afterthought. Your best bet imo is to set up a 4 day upper/lower split.
:goodpost: More work for back (such a complex group of muscles - add some upper back/trap work) and decrease total volume for chest.

First, everything works for a while. 5 days a week can work, but it is hard on the natural athlete (Central Nervous System).

If you are going to work upper body twice per week, I would change up day 1,2,4 and 5. As work from day 1 (also 4) indirectly works muscles trained on day 2 (also 5). Perhaps it might be more prudent to do something like this::think:

Day 1: Chest, shoulders and triceps.
Day 2: Back and biceps.
Day 3: Legs.
Day 4: Chest, shoulders and triceps.
Day 5: Back and biceps.

With this approach, you train all pushing muscles in one session, albeit hard, but you afford your muscles two days off (days 2 and 3) before you hammer them again on day 4. This would also hold true for pulling muscles (2 days off).

Incidentally, what sports are you involved in?

Train hard! :thumbsup:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
my 2 cents:

M - chest/back heavy should be barbells/bodyweight only:
deadlift
barbell bench
barbell incline
pull ups (weighted if needed)
bent over barbell rows or t-bar rows

T - shoulders/arms heavy should be high weight workouts:
military press
dips (weighted)
chin ups
close grip bench

w - looks good

th-friday should be dumbell only since its lighter weights

i train my chest twice a week - i am not sure if using dumbells on both days make sense. i do one day of heavy weights (barbells), then one day of higher reps (10ish) with dumbells. i would imagine (and i am not positive) that if you did barbells on both days, and dumbells on both days, you'd stop seeing gains pretty quick.