leucine ?

bj22

Awards
Is it most effective to take it before working out or mixed with a post workout shake?

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
If you were going to choose just one time to take it, it would be most effective to take it with your post workout whey shake to help with protein synthesis. If you drink a whey shake pre workout as well it wouldnt hurt anything to throw some in there too. I take BCAA's (which contains a good amount of leucine obviously) both pre and post workout.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would actually use it pre-bed. Your likely getting enough protein if your supplementing whey post workout anyways (there is leucine in whey). Pre-bed you will basically be entering a fasting state, and leucine can promote protein synthesis for 2 or 3 hours after use which is nice since you'll be sleeping.

bj22

Awards
I would actually use it pre-bed. Your likely getting enough protein if your supplementing whey post workout anyways (there is leucine in whey). Pre-bed you will basically be entering a fasting state, and leucine can promote protein synthesis for 2 or 3 hours after use which is nice since you'll be sleeping.
So it doesn't effect sleep at all? Would it be okay to take at the same time as sleep supps such as zma, gaba, etc.?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So it doesn't effect sleep at all? Would it be okay to take at the same time as sleep supps such as zma, gaba, etc.?
No it does not act in any way as a stimulant so sleeping should not be a problem. Some people do have trouble sleeping after eating but if your just consuming some leucine + whatever in a light meal you should be fine.

Regarding zma you normally want to take this 1 hour pre-sleep/bed, the leucine would be consumed right before bed so you should have no trouble interaction wise. (the typical problem is taking zma with calcium or dairy products as that hinders absorption).

Gaba, I honestly am not to sure on regarding interactions. I see no problem with the two however. Maybe the nootropic junkies could chime in on this one. :)