Endurance Athlete...need help

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
I'm a cyclist and I compete in all endurance events. 12/24 hr races/ 100 mile races / tours.

Is there anything out there that would help me get that extra edge? Not looking for anything too hardcore like EPO (although I have considered it) but just something that will help increase my cardio. Any suggestions?

I don't really get drug tested in any of my events so that's not an issue.

thanks in advance.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
1. Beta Alanine
2. Rhodiola Rosea
3. Ecdysterone
4. RPM/Drive

Ecdysterone and Rhodiola are great for cardio, RPM is a very good Pre-WO stimulant type, and beta alanine cycles lactic acid out of your muscles, which is especially important if you're a long distance biker.

H

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Cordygen5 - Increases oxygen utilization
Nimbus Nutrition's Posidon - Key blend of natural vitamins that help to maintain hydration
Nubound - Recovery between training sessions

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cordygen5 - timed release, long acting cordyceps
citrulline/beta alanine - Body Octane is premium stuff
Rodiola
Champion Nutrition Revenge Pro

RPM won't be for you.

J

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm a cyclist and I compete in all endurance events. 12/24 hr races/ 100 mile races / tours.

Is there anything out there that would help me get that extra edge? Not looking for anything too hardcore like EPO (although I have considered it) but just something that will help increase my cardio. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
albuterol will rule your world not as big as EPO but more than your basic supplement.

polo

polo

Awards

thanks in advance.
halovar, Halodrol-50 clones
get u cut and gain muscle lose water retention.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
This is why I come to this board. :cheers:

I've got some research to do. Thanks a ton guys.

lector606

lector606

Awards
Sorta depends on what type of things you're after.

In terms of extending endurance, I think that Nimbus Nutrition's Swell is a great product. It contains beta alanine and a lot of other ingredients to help keep you hydrated and extend your endurance. I've used it with great results, and I do some very long cardio as well (triathlon, long distance running).

I don't think steroids would really help you at those distances but they will increase red blood cell count so you may find some benefit. Not really worth it for your goals though IMO.

M

musclemilk40

Banned
Awards
beta alanine and gakic

Stack beta alanine with gakic and you ll notice youre endurance increase tremendously. My son uses gakic to get through high school two a days and now the whole team is using it.

J

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Stack beta alanine with gakic and you ll notice youre endurance increase tremendously. My son uses gakic to get through high school two a days and now the whole team is using it.
why would u let ur son take gakic? if he can't get through 2 a days at his age without a supplement there is something wrong. and ps all it is a big does of arginine. much cheaper in other forms.

J

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established

thanks in advance.
u ever think of dropping some weight. i don't see ur stats but ur pic seems like u have some decent size. take a lot to fuel all that muscle. i don't think u can bodybuild and be an endurance athlete at the same time.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
u ever think of dropping some weight. i don't see ur stats but ur pic seems like u have some decent size. take a lot to fuel all that muscle. i don't think u can bodybuild and be an endurance athlete at the same time.
Yeah, I definitely don't look like your typical cyclist...which are typically really skinny and lean. I love lifting and I do more so in the off season during winter especially.

When I'm lifting hard and consistently through the off season I'm usually at about 175-180lbs with about 8% BF. Like I said I love to lift and I work out very very hard. My workout partners have a love hate relationship with me, but at the end of the day they know it's worth all the pushing I do to them.

I also race motocross, and I do MMA usually in the off season as well. These are the reasons I workout and try to be as strong as I possibly can. The down side to the mass I have on my body, like you said..."it takes a lot to fuel all that muscle".

During race season I usually drop to about 160-165lbs.

J

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I definitely don't look like your typical cyclist...which are typically really skinny and lean. I love lifting and I do more so in the off season during winter especially.

When I'm lifting hard and consistently through the off season I'm usually at about 175-180lbs with about 8% BF. Like I said I love to lift and I work out very very hard. My workout partners have a love hate relationship with me, but at the end of the day they know it's worth all the pushing I do to them.

I also race motocross, and I do MMA usually in the off season as well. These are the reasons I workout and try to be as strong as I possibly can. The down side to the mass I have on my body, like you said..."it takes a lot to fuel all that muscle".

During race season I usually drop to about 160-165lbs.
why don't u train for just strength then. keep reps low and weight high. you'll gain less size and more strength. u can get stronger without gaining much size. if ur body is going through gaining and losing weight like that it can't be good for ur endurance. i think ur gonna have to pick one or the other or control your diet to keep just enough cals to maintain and don't go over so you won't gain hardly any weight. if u want to train with intensity doesn't mean u have to weight train. go all out with the mma training. you're not going to get much size, you'll get sports specific strength and your endurance should go way up

C

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Beta-Alanine and BCAA's is probably would I would supplement with at the moment.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Incarnate & Purple WRAATH

'Nuff said!!!!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
I'd mix up a cocktail like this for when your doing your event:

BCAA's and/or EAA's such as Xtend or Purple Wrath, both are great
Then before your event, by the isn't as important, but for an energy spike I'd take some RPM, stuff is amazing.
Oh almost left out BA.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
I think I'll experiment with Beta Alanine and the Cordygen5. I like what the claimed benefits are.

I have a couple big races coming up. Actually one this weekend but I doubt the products will come in time for me to get the cycle going yet.

My other big race is first of August. If I have the gear straightend out beforehand then this should be the tell.

thanks again everyone.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
Good luck this weekend man.
thanks. Yeah this weekend is only a 12 hr race. Shouldn't be too bad (*crosses fingers*)

In August I'll be doing the 24 hr National Championships and that one is gonna hurt.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd definitely add citrulline to the mix, it's cheap and effective. Citrulline removes lactic acid and ammonia from the muscles, and IMO the effect is more profound than the effects from BA supplementation. I'd also recommend glutamine, which I never do. It IS proven to boost immune system strength post-long event, when the immune system is compromised. Take 5-20gr after the event.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
citrulline, beta alanine, double dosed cordygen5,bcaa's, and some poseidon and you should be set. I cant think of a better stack than that

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
if you double dose anabolic halo, you could probably cryogenically freeze the road your riding and just slide along to the finish. might be something like this:

in all seriousness tho, the stacks previously mentioned are all perfect for you i think. i would hit up dirk from Applied Nutriceuticals and get his advice on drive. i noticed a substantial improvement in endurance when i used it. let us know what you decide to try and what works the best. ill be training for a couple 10k runs for next summer and im kinda looking into similar stacks. good luck bro!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAA+Beta Alanine+Citrulline Malate+Poseidon+Cordygen is what i would use as an endurance athlete

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There are various factors that affect endurance so it's important to determine which ones are currently limiting performance. But with a 12hr race I imagine that at some point all these components will become factors. I tink the most imporant thing is this case is to replenish lost nutrients thus a combo of EAAs, carbs, electrolytes and other nutrients would be the most beneficial, especially if you could consume it every hour or two.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
BCAA+Beta Alanine+Citrulline Malate+Poseidon+Cordygen is what i would use as an endurance athlete
Thanks again. This is my cycle stack right here! I've ordered everything up and now the waiting begins. If I get everything by this week I'll officially start cycling by the weekend. Too bad I don't have everything now, it would've been nice to cycle for a whole week prior to my race this weekend.

Oh well, I should've thought about this cycle months ago. I'll update this post on my progress with the gear once I start on it.

Thanks to all who gave really good advice and recommendations. I appreciate it.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
I tink the most imporant thing is this case is to replenish lost nutrients thus a combo of EAAs, carbs, electrolytes and other nutrients would be the most beneficial, especially if you could consume it every hour or two.
Thanks. Yup I am also sponsored by a company called E-load. They have products specifically to help with heat exposure. There products contain all the necessary electrolytes I need like Dextrose, Sucrose, Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and MultiCitrate. Helps out tremendously. I've been using this product for a couple years now.

Eating is also a big part of our races. PB&J's, bananas, fig newtons etc. are just some of the things that help keep me going on those long races.

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
If anyone is interested to know what type of racing I do here's a documentary that was done on Chris Eatough. He's a 6X-24hr world champion that races for the Trek factory team.

YouTube - 24 hour solo

You'll see in the beginning of the trailer a course they're racing on (where it's raining torential downpours) will be the same race we're doing in 3 weeks. We'll be racing him and the Trek team there...among tons of other factory teams.

It'll be a tough one, to say the least.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dude, ever read what Stamstad eats on his mad Continental Divide rampages? Cheeze Whiz, chocolate, and peanut butter, he can barely pack in the calories even with calorically dense foods like those.

lector606

lector606

Awards
if you double dose anabolic halo, you could probably cryogenically freeze the road your riding and just slide along to the finish. might be something like this:

How could I have forgotten about Anabolic Halo... don't take too much though - people might get suspicious when you SLASH YOUR BOUNDARIES WITH RELENTLESS COLD-HARD AGRESSION AND CRYO-GENETIC ANABOLISM

lotus1

lotus1

Awards
Well guys...thanks again for all the advice. I did a bit of reading and research on some of the products that were suggested and these are the things I finally decided on...

Codygen5
Incarnate
Nimbus Nutrition Swell
BCAA

I recieved everything I believe last Wednesday/Thursday so I was able actually start on the cycle before my race on Saturday.

Needless to say I felt a bit of a difference. I didn't have any cramping whatsoever. I felt I had tons more energy every lap I did. I definitely didn't feel as winded as I usually feel in my races.

I did a 12 hr Mountain bike race and won the event. Actually set a course record that was held for quite some time.

I'll definitely keep experimenting with these products and maybe some others and keep you guys posted.

My next big race comes up in 2 weeks. 24 hr National Championships. This one will definitely test my endurance. It's gonna be hell. :run:

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Glad to see you chose to go with Cordygen5. Always a great choice for endurance training and athletics.

T

Terencec

Awards
CTDeuce I went to your link, I am also looking for some endurance enhancing products, I plan to start fighting again. But you have a lot of products geared for that, some seem to overlap. Which one of yours do you recommend the best

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
for training for boxing I would have to say cordygen5. Cordygen v02 would also give you great results, but with cordygen5's time released manner...it will help you get the most out of a long stretch of training. I have trained with boxer's before doing the endless 3 minute rounds of bags and jumping rope or just skipping around the ring. I know how tiring it can become!

Hope that helped. Feel free to ask anything you need help with.

T

Terencec

Awards
But if I want that energy just for the fight and my fights are 5 rounds 5 minutes long, you still recommend cordygen5

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
But if I want that energy just for the fight and my fights are 5 rounds 5 minutes long, you still recommend cordygen5
Absolutely. It will maintain your breathing patterns even while your heart is racing, help your endurance and stamina, and keep you more focused.