My dad has joint pain - which supps?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.21%

My dad has joint pain - which supps?

Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of supps are good for chronic joint pain for a 47 year old guy?

He gets pretty bad joint problems in his hands, knees and lower back.

He's been to get checked up and they can't find anything majorly wrong. He's taken ginseng root in water throughout the day and that seems to help. If he drinks wulong tea it gets worse.

What kinda stuff should I get him? Cissus?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.56%

Cissus would be a great one to try first before the others, ie. glucosamine and condroitin.
  3. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.42%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

My dad has the same problems. I tried Cissus for him and didn't work, but others have had success. My mom just started taking Celadrin and is very impressed. Just ordered her some more with MSM ( http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...-120-caps.html ). She had limited success w/ Glucosamine + Chondroitin Sulfate
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Chronic joint pain is clearly an inflammatory condition. To achieve a comprehensive and lasting management of this problem, as long as it is not an auto-immune reaction, it is important to recall that there are several inflammatory pathways. The most important are cyclo-oxygenase-1 (COX-1), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), and 5-Lipooxygenase (5-LOX). These must be acutely addressed for lasting relief.
    Cissus should be the core of this programme, as it demonstrates potent bone, ligament, tendon, and joint repair and restructuring capabilities. Some individuals would add Glucosamine Sulfate, Chrondoitin Sulfate, and MSM to Cissus.
    One other option would be to add the following COX and LOX inhibitors to Cissus:
    1) Silymarin/Silibinin, actives in Milk Thistle, also COX-2 inhibitors.
    2) Curcumin inhibits COX-2 and thromboxane A2, a highly unstable, but biologically active compound created by COX. Furthermore, curcumin also effectively inhibits 5-LOX and HETE.
    3) Gamma tocopherol is a dose-dependent COX-2 inhibitor.
    4) Ginger not only suppresses COX-2, it also supports the positive effects of COX-1.
    5) Feverfew contains apigenin and melatonin, both COX-2 inhibitors. Besides, Feverfew also possesses 5-LOX-inhibiting properties.
    6) Berberine and berberine-containing herbs (goldenseal, barberry, goldthread, oregon grape) not only inhibit COX-2, but also support the beneficial actions of COX-1.
    7) Green Tea's COX-2-inhibiting actions occur via two pathways. a) Salicylic acid, the main anti-inflammatory component of aspirin, naturally occurs in Green Tea, giving it its COX-2 inhibition abilities; b) The polyphenols and flavonoids in Green Tea also exhibit COX-2 inhibition.
    8) A special extract of the Boswellia plant known as AKBA (3-O-acetyl-11-keto--boswellic acid) is one of the most potent selective 5-LOX inhibitors around.

So, one could add a few COX-1, COX-2, and 5-LOX inhibitors to Cissus to obtain a faster and more comprehensive relief in cases of acute inflammation.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.21%

Holy crap, I feel bad because I understood none of that so it's wasted on me. But I really appreciate the effort

I will look into what you have pointed out and inform you guys of the results in the future. Be ready for a possible 4 month later necropost
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.21%

Is there a benefit to getting the Extra Strength Glucosamine/Chondroitin or should I stick with the Glucosamine Sulfate & MSM?

Also, bulk Cissus Powder, Cissus with 40% Keto or SuperCissus Rx?

Thanks again

edit: Typo!
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Excellent post there Strategic, couldn't agree more. I simplify it and stack Animal Flex with Cissus, pretty much covers all the basis as the ingredients you listed are in both pretty much. Glad somebody finally linked inflammation to joint pain, been saying that all along. The Curcumin you mention is found in Tumeric, used it to much success when I got my ankle and leg ripped up, then switched to Animal Flex when I found it and researched it's ingredients. When I saw my doctor nearly 2 weeks later, he was like, "Wow, your ankles swelling has really gone down, the combination of meds and you taking it easy are really working." I had to suppress a laugh, didn't have the heart to tell him I'd been re-habbing it and taking the above supps. Yeah, its still hurt, but the above supps helped keep my recovery on track. Again, great post!!
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.36%

SuperCissus RX for sure. Not all cissus products are created equally
  9. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Chronic joint pain is clearly an inflammatory condition. To achieve a comprehensive and lasting management of this problem, as long as it is not an auto-immune reaction, it is important to recall that there are several inflammatory pathways. The most important are cyclo-oxygenase-1 (COX-1), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), and 5-Lipooxygenase (5-LOX). These must be acutely addressed for lasting relief.
    Cissus should be the core of this programme, as it demonstrates potent bone, ligament, tendon, and joint repair and restructuring capabilities. Some individuals would add Glucosamine Sulfate, Chrondoitin Sulfate, and MSM to Cissus.
    One other option would be to add the following COX and LOX inhibitors to Cissus:
    1) Silymarin/Silibinin, actives in Milk Thistle, also COX-2 inhibitors.
    2) Curcumin inhibits COX-2 and thromboxane A2, a highly unstable, but biologically active compound created by COX. Furthermore, curcumin also effectively inhibits 5-LOX and HETE.
    3) Gamma tocopherol is a dose-dependent COX-2 inhibitor.
    4) Ginger not only suppresses COX-2, it also supports the positive effects of COX-1.
    5) Feverfew contains apigenin and melatonin, both COX-2 inhibitors. Besides, Feverfew also possesses 5-LOX-inhibiting properties.
    6) Berberine and berberine-containing herbs (goldenseal, barberry, goldthread, oregon grape) not only inhibit COX-2, but also support the beneficial actions of COX-1.
    7) Green Tea's COX-2-inhibiting actions occur via two pathways. a) Salicylic acid, the main anti-inflammatory component of aspirin, naturally occurs in Green Tea, giving it its COX-2 inhibition abilities; b) The polyphenols and flavonoids in Green Tea also exhibit COX-2 inhibition.
    8) A special extract of the Boswellia plant known as AKBA (3-O-acetyl-11-keto--boswellic acid) is one of the most potent selective 5-LOX inhibitors around.

So, one could add a few COX-1, COX-2, and 5-LOX inhibitors to Cissus to obtain a faster and more comprehensive relief in cases of acute inflammation.
    i am lazy, could you name a product that is inclusive of most of those ingredients? btw what do you think of glucosa cream by vpx.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I've had my best success with AN's Osteobolin-C. I have had some lower leg pain and a case of tendonitis in the past, back when I wasn't even training that hard. With that product, I was able to train twice as hard and feel great throughout.

SuperCissusRX is definitly top notch, but I believe their extract was 10%. Osteobolic-C claims theirs is 5%.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.21%

Oh yeah I had achilles tendonitis last week, not nice.

I ended up getting the Glucosamine Sulfate & MSM + Cissus Rx for my dad. I hope that helps him

Also, you guys could try cutting a slice or two of ginseng in hot water and drinking that. It's the only natural thing that's worked for my dad so far.

Thanks for all the help
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    7) Green Tea's COX-2-inhibiting actions occur via two pathways. a) Salicylic acid, the main anti-inflammatory component of aspirin...
    Now it makes sense to me why people use aspirin for acne issues. Reps. Wait, can't. Repped you too much.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Knee Pain and Joint Supps
    By Blutarski in forum Supplements
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 11:53 PM
  2. Joint Pain
    By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 11:27 PM
  3. EQ and joint pain...
    By prime in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11