fish oil-importance of 6:3 ratio and dha:epa

krogtaar

Awards
-is there a specific ratio of omega 3's you need dependent on your fat intake? or is more generally better?

-Also it sounds like having a much higher DHA:EPA ratio than in most fish oils is beneficial. any thoughts?
from an article on T-Nation(don't hate) TESTOSTERONE NATION - FLAMEOUT!

I'm sure you've all heard of DHA and EPA, which are two of the omega-3 fatty acids researchers are most interested in. They're simply elongated and desaturated versions of alpha-linoleic acid.

Unfortunately, every fatty acid supplement we're aware of contains a lot more EPA than DHA because fish naturally contain more EPA than DHA.

That's fine for women because the biosynthesis of DHA is a lot higher in women than it is in men. Most researchers think it has to do with sex hormones, presumably estrogens. A strong stimulus with estrogens in lab subjects induces an increase in DHA status, while a Testosterone stimulus induces a decrease in DHA.
DHA, in addition to having a anti-arrhythmic effect, reduces blood pressure and according to at least one study, even increases HDL (the good cholesterol) by 29% while EPA reduces it by 6.7%!

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Everything i've read refers to overall EPA/DHA amount. Not one specific ratio.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
bulk caps at NP should be fine. especially as you probably get 500 or 1000 caps for the same price as a bottle of 90 or something @ tnation.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ratio of natural fish oil extracted from the fish is 6:9. There is a lot of theoretical talk and some studies looking at different ratios, but for the most part I stick with this.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Not to hijack but all the fish oil I see is from anchovy and sardine. Is this standard or are there different quality fish oils?

krogtaar

Awards
Ratio of natural fish oil extracted from the fish is 6:9. There is a lot of theoretical talk and some studies looking at different ratios, but for the most part I stick with this.
i should have worded that better...do you mean 6 parts omega 6 fatty acids to 9 parts omega 3 is what's in fish oil?

KRNMuscle

KRNMuscle

Awards
Not to hijack but all the fish oil I see is from anchovy and sardine. Is this standard or are there different quality fish oils?
I don't know if it's standard but theres also fish oil from Cods. And supposedly the superior fish oil is from salmons. But what really matters is where they catch the fish and how healthy they are.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another option is Krill oil. It has more antioxidants than fish oil does and its effects last longer. Also dont have to take 10 caps per day. One cap AM and one cap PM is all you need with a higher amount of EPA/DHA

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
This is a pretty good read:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/omega-3-fatty-acid/

I'm not saying everyone should go paleo/primal or anything. But you don't need to be following that type of diet to absorb the great info that is laid out about omega 3's and the importance of keeping a decent 6 to 3 ratio.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I actually just started using krill oil in conjunction with an Omega 3 supplement.

950 mg of Omega 3's (542mg EPA/408mg DHA in ONE pill) combined with RLS's Krill-TS....solid stack IMO.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually just started using krill oil in conjunction with an Omega 3 supplement.

950 mg of Omega 3's (542mg EPA/408mg DHA in ONE pill) combined with RLS's Krill-TS....solid stack IMO.

Great combo to get all the benefits for sure :thumbsup:

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just 2 Krill TS caps a day for me. No more 6-9 caps of fish oil!

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Krill Oil seems to have a nice balance of Omegas, Ive been trying to limit the amount of pills I take in and Krill TS is a good option for quality omegas.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Krill Oil seems to have a nice balance of Omegas, Ive been trying to limit the amount of pills I take in and Krill TS is a good option for quality omegas.
Yeh man. 9 or 10 caps a day of fish oil gets old quick. Twice a day dosing of krill is much better

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Yeh man. 9 or 10 caps a day of fish oil gets old quick. Twice a day dosing of krill is much better
For sure man. I have one bottle of fish oil left, and after that I'm switching to krill twice a day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
dhuge67 Supplements 27