ZMA Alternative?

  1. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    ZMA Alternative?


    Ok here's the beef:


    I pay $25 for ZMA at my local supp store for 25 days worth of ZMA. SO, I've been looking at local drugstores like London Drugs for the Magnesium, Zinc and B6 separate. I found B6, no probs there and I can also find Magnesium by itself or mixed with Zinc, but the mix also comes with calcium.

    Now I remember reading that magnesium and calcium fight for absorption. Interestingly, the bottle says that the zinc and mag are to help absorb the calcium.

    So what's the deal here. Will this stuff work as well as ZMA? Or is the benefits I'm looking for diminished because of the calcium? Do you have suggestions for cheap alternatives of ZMA?

  2. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I keep my ZMA separate from calcium because I feel they compete for absorption.

    Not sure if you plan on ordering from NP any time soon, but http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/p...-180-caps.html is only $15 for a 2-month supply.
  3. New Member
    Hard Knox's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    285
    Rep Power
    222
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    58.96%

    Also look Now Foods ZMA. Its great!! and cheap
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    Yah I just bought 2 months of cutting stacks from NP. Will look at ZMA. Even though I have to get it shipped to Vancouver BC, it is still a great deal... I'll give you that.

    BUT, the dude at the local popeye's has been suuuuper helpful so I try and give him my business when I can.
  5. New Member
    Good Shepherd's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    41.38%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I keep my ZMA separate from calcium because I feel they compete for absorption.

    Not sure if you plan on ordering from NP any time soon, but http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/p...-180-caps.html is only $15 for a 2-month supply.
    I wake up with the worst headaches everytime I use ZMA.....Still havnt figured out what causes this......
  6. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7013
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Good Shepherd View Post
    I wake up with the worst headaches everytime I use ZMA.....Still havnt figured out what causes this......

    How much zinc and mag do you get normaly during your day? such as from multi's

    I have used ZMA, slept good....didnt notice too much at the time, but that was when i first started lifting again back in jan. Now that my body is in good shape, (save for tendonitis in both legs) I think I would benefit from ZMA greatly.

    But I am using IGF-2 so I am good

    ZMA does help me sleep better too, but it produced weird dreams for me I think.
  7. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41245
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I get weird dreams for the first few days that I try a new "Sleep-Aid" type supplement, but it only lasts for a few.

    As for the headaches, how's your water intake? I know in the past I've gotten headaches from dehydration.
  8. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7013
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I get weird dreams for the first few days that I try a new "Sleep-Aid" type supplement, but it only lasts for a few.

    As for the headaches, how's your water intake? I know in the past I've gotten headaches from dehydration.

    I took a thermogenic, I Oh God I didnt take in almost any water once because of some odd reason, I thought my brain was eating itself. Now I drink a good 120 ounces a day if not more Drink water like you break oxygen.....though I do have to tinkle about once an hour because of soo much water...
  9. New Member
    Good Shepherd's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    41.38%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I get weird dreams for the first few days that I try a new "Sleep-Aid" type supplement, but it only lasts for a few.

    As for the headaches, how's your water intake? I know in the past I've gotten headaches from dehydration.
    I like the dehydration idea as I live in an extremely dry climate, but it still seems very pronounced with the addition of ZMA- might just be me......
  10. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7013
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Good Shepherd View Post
    I like the dehydration idea as I live in an extremely dry climate, but it still seems very pronounced with the addition of ZMA- might just be me......
    This sound really weird. Eat some cellary before you take your ZMA, about half an hour ahead of time....try for a day or two.
  11. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    567
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    84.44%

    its the ratio of the ingredients that make zma a unique formula....not sure about the b6 but most use 30mg zinc to 450mg magnesium. if you are taking calicum at night, like you should, you need to take more magnesium to help with absorbtion. basically you need magnesium for calcium...not the other way around. vit d helps too.
  12. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    33.25%

    magnesium is needed for proper calcium utilization in the body, NOT for intestinal absorbtion. i believe calcium is actually antagonistic to magnesium & zinc, as in it will physically inhibit the absorbtion (but not to any significant degree)... although certain types of chelation do avoid this problem.

    26 bucks for a month of ZMA is a disgusting ripoff...nutraplanet has it for 10$/30 day supply
    Search Results For: zma
  13. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    So the question I still have is will this Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc stuff from london drugs do the trick? The GH benefits are secondary for a supp like this. I'm looking for those rock solid sleeps I was getting on ZMA
  14. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    33.25%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    So the question I still have is will this Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc stuff from london drugs do the trick? The GH benefits are secondary for a supp like this. I'm looking for those rock solid sleeps I was getting on ZMA

    what forms are the minerals in (second word after the mineral name)
  15. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    word for word:

    calcium........... 333 mg
    (calcium carbonate and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

    magnesium........ 167 mg
    (magnesium oxide and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

    zinc.................. 20 mg
    (gluconate)


    I took 3 last night to get in enough magnesium. the dosage on the bottle is 1-3 three times daily
  16. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    33.25%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    word for word:

    calcium........... 333 mg
    (calcium carbonate and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

    magnesium........ 167 mg
    (magnesium oxide and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

    zinc.................. 20 mg
    (gluconate)


    I took 3 last night to get in enough magnesium. the dosage on the bottle is 1-3 three times daily
    no thats not gonna cut it, and if that dose is ONE tablet then taking 3 will give you WAY too much calcium in one sitting. i also thing the oxide and carbonate forms of minerals are antagonistic.

    ZMA are aspartates.. magnesium aspartate and zinc aspartate (not asporotate) is what you need to be looking for.

    where do you live man?
  17. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    vancouver, bc
  18. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    could you give me a quick rundown in the differences between asparates, citrates and oxides?
  19. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    33.25%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    could you give me a quick rundown in the differences between asparates, citrates and oxides?
    iherb . com will ship to canada i believe, and they have it at 11$/month supply.

    minerals can be 'attached' to different things, and the things they are attached to changes the way the body absorbs them and in some cases changes the way the mineral effects the body. magnesium aspartate is magnesium attached to aspartic acid, magnesium citrate is magnesium attached to citric acid etc

    AlbionŽ FAQ

    Chelated Minerals
  20. New Member
    Hard Knox's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    285
    Rep Power
    222
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    58.96%

    ZMA is great man. No need to try to cheapen up an already great and cheap supplement. C'mon
  21. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774631
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    25.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Anyone looking for an excellent ZMA-type product might want to consider MST's ZMK: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/m...-120-tabs.html
    It is actually unfair to compare it to a ZMA product, as it is significantly more advanced and complete. And very affordable, too, as one can vary the dosage.
  22. Senior Member
    Necroticism's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    628
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    18.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    Anyone looking for an excellent ZMA-type product might want to consider MST's ZMK: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/m...-120-tabs.html
    It is actually unfair to compare it to a ZMA product, as it is significantly more advanced and complete. And very affordable, too, as one can vary the dosage.
    beat me to it.
  23. New Member
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    297
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    17.39%

    The other thing I keep hearing is the quality of the zinc and magnesium. For instance, I was told that Ultimate Nutrition's was the best quality. Any stock in this?
  24. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    33.25%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    The other thing I keep hearing is the quality of the zinc and magnesium. For instance, I was told that Ultimate Nutrition's was the best quality. Any stock in this?
    ZMA is a patented ingredient.. anyone who is legally putting the letters ZMA on their bottle is buying their ZMA from interhealth. so no, there is no stock in that... its all from the same place.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Alternative's to .06% AA with LR3 IGF-1
    By OEFHajHunt10 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 01:25 AM
  2. Alternative to JW
    By jolokia in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 03:17 AM
  3. Alternative to MRI CE2 Hi-Def
    By drumguy13 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. alternative PCT for 11-oxo??
    By freakabe in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 02:34 AM
  5. Alternative to 4AD for use with 1AD?
    By bitwise in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in