ZMA Alternative?

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Ok here's the beef:

I pay $25 for ZMA at my local supp store for 25 days worth of ZMA. SO, I've been looking at local drugstores like London Drugs for the Magnesium, Zinc and B6 separate. I found B6, no probs there and I can also find Magnesium by itself or mixed with Zinc, but the mix also comes with calcium.

Now I remember reading that magnesium and calcium fight for absorption. Interestingly, the bottle says that the zinc and mag are to help absorb the calcium.

So what's the deal here. Will this stuff work as well as ZMA? Or is the benefits I'm looking for diminished because of the calcium? Do you have suggestions for cheap alternatives of ZMA?

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Yah I just bought 2 months of cutting stacks from NP. Will look at ZMA. Even though I have to get it shipped to Vancouver BC, it is still a great deal... I'll give you that.

BUT, the dude at the local popeye's has been suuuuper helpful so I try and give him my business when I can.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I wake up with the worst headaches everytime I use ZMA.....Still havnt figured out what causes this......

How much zinc and mag do you get normaly during your day? such as from multi's

I have used ZMA, slept good....didnt notice too much at the time, but that was when i first started lifting again back in jan. Now that my body is in good shape, (save for tendonitis in both legs) I think I would benefit from ZMA greatly.

But I am using IGF-2 so I am good :)

ZMA does help me sleep better too, but it produced weird dreams for me I think.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get weird dreams for the first few days that I try a new "Sleep-Aid" type supplement, but it only lasts for a few.

As for the headaches, how's your water intake? I know in the past I've gotten headaches from dehydration.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I get weird dreams for the first few days that I try a new "Sleep-Aid" type supplement, but it only lasts for a few.

As for the headaches, how's your water intake? I know in the past I've gotten headaches from dehydration.

I took a thermogenic, I Oh God I didnt take in almost any water once because of some odd reason, I thought my brain was eating itself. Now I drink a good 120 ounces a day if not more :) Drink water like you break oxygen.....though I do have to tinkle about once an hour because of soo much water...

Good Shepherd

Awards

I like the dehydration idea as I live in an extremely dry climate, but it still seems very pronounced with the addition of ZMA- might just be me......

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I like the dehydration idea as I live in an extremely dry climate, but it still seems very pronounced with the addition of ZMA- might just be me......
This sound really weird. Eat some cellary before you take your ZMA, about half an hour ahead of time....try for a day or two.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
its the ratio of the ingredients that make zma a unique formula....not sure about the b6 but most use 30mg zinc to 450mg magnesium. if you are taking calicum at night, like you should, you need to take more magnesium to help with absorbtion. basically you need magnesium for calcium...not the other way around. vit d helps too.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
magnesium is needed for proper calcium utilization in the body, NOT for intestinal absorbtion. i believe calcium is actually antagonistic to magnesium & zinc, as in it will physically inhibit the absorbtion (but not to any significant degree)... although certain types of chelation do avoid this problem.

26 bucks for a month of ZMA is a disgusting ripoff...nutraplanet has it for 10$/30 day supply
Search Results For: zma

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
So the question I still have is will this Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc stuff from london drugs do the trick? The GH benefits are secondary for a supp like this. I'm looking for those rock solid sleeps I was getting on ZMA

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
So the question I still have is will this Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc stuff from london drugs do the trick? The GH benefits are secondary for a supp like this. I'm looking for those rock solid sleeps I was getting on ZMA

what forms are the minerals in (second word after the mineral name)

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
word for word:

calcium........... 333 mg
(calcium carbonate and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

magnesium........ 167 mg
(magnesium oxide and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

zinc.................. 20 mg
(gluconate)

I took 3 last night to get in enough magnesium. the dosage on the bottle is 1-3 three times daily

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
word for word:

calcium........... 333 mg
(calcium carbonate and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

magnesium........ 167 mg
(magnesium oxide and krebs cycle sources: citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate)

zinc.................. 20 mg
(gluconate)

I took 3 last night to get in enough magnesium. the dosage on the bottle is 1-3 three times daily
no thats not gonna cut it, and if that dose is ONE tablet then taking 3 will give you WAY too much calcium in one sitting. i also thing the oxide and carbonate forms of minerals are antagonistic.

ZMA are aspartates.. magnesium aspartate and zinc aspartate (not asporotate) is what you need to be looking for.

where do you live man?

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
could you give me a quick rundown in the differences between asparates, citrates and oxides?

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
could you give me a quick rundown in the differences between asparates, citrates and oxides?
iherb . com will ship to canada i believe, and they have it at 11$/month supply.

minerals can be 'attached' to different things, and the things they are attached to changes the way the body absorbs them and in some cases changes the way the mineral effects the body. magnesium aspartate is magnesium attached to aspartic acid, magnesium citrate is magnesium attached to citric acid etc

Albion® FAQ

Chelated Minerals

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
ZMA is great man. No need to try to cheapen up an already great and cheap supplement. C'mon

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
The other thing I keep hearing is the quality of the zinc and magnesium. For instance, I was told that Ultimate Nutrition's was the best quality. Any stock in this?

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
The other thing I keep hearing is the quality of the zinc and magnesium. For instance, I was told that Ultimate Nutrition's was the best quality. Any stock in this?
ZMA is a patented ingredient.. anyone who is legally putting the letters ZMA on their bottle is buying their ZMA from interhealth. so no, there is no stock in that... its all from the same place.