Protein synthesis

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
It's very often a feature included in the evaluation of supplements. At first I thought about compiling a list of all the products I could find that contend they include this effect, but that could take a long time. Is protein "synthesis" a dire concern, and if so, what product do you find brings it altogether for you?

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
the term 'protein synthesis' is a common marketing word used by supplement companies.
however, protein synthesis is a natural process your body does regardless of supplementation. plain old food enhances to protein synthesis far more than any supplement.
to manufacture proteins, cells follow a very systematic procedure that first transcribes DNA into mRNA and then translates the mRNA into chains of amino acids.
these amino acids are necessary for many biological process in the body including structural support of cells (building muscle falls into this category).
supplementation is popular because you can provide additional help to increase or make it easier for your body to synthesize protein. whey protein comes to mind.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply, reps. Do you personally use any supplements?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Man I havent heard such things since biology back in HS.

But that was more about DNA/ RNA, ribose, etc....

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
the term 'protein synthesis' is a common marketing word used by supplement companies.
however, protein synthesis is a natural process your body does regardless of supplementation. plain old food enhances to protein synthesis far more than any supplement.
to manufacture proteins, cells follow a very systematic procedure that first transcribes DNA into mRNA and then translates the mRNA into chains of amino acids.
these amino acids are necessary for many biological process in the body including structural support of cells (building muscle falls into this category).
supplementation is popular because you can provide additional help to increase or make it easier for your body to synthesize protein. whey protein comes to mind.
:goodpost: I was about to type it all out to see if I could remember from bio 1101, but you got us covered :woohoo:

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Haha, as soon as I read that, it took me back to sophomore year. Good posting indeed.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply, reps. Do you personally use any supplements?
no prob.
yes i use supplements and find them very effective to help stay healthy and fit.
most don't live up to their marketing claims....but i still find them effective. mainly because if you spend $30 on something and take it daily you will make sure your diet is good and your workouts are strong.....otherwise the supps are a complete waste.
so i feel like supps are best used as motivation tool that help you stick with the difficult workout & diet routine needed to stay in great shape.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. It is the AA responsible for "turning on" protein synthesis.
Such nasty crap..

Do you think bulk Leucine pills would work the same as the powder?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Such nasty crap..

Do you think bulk Leucine pills would work the same as the powder?
Yes. What I so is have some sort of drink with a strong flavor, mix in the leucine, shake the **** out of it for ~10 minutes, and then drink it. Raspberry crystal light works really well.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
no prob.
yes i use supplements and find them very effective to help stay healthy and fit.
most don't live up to their marketing claims....but i still find them effective. mainly because if you spend $30 on something and take it daily you will make sure your diet is good and your workouts are strong.....otherwise the supps are a complete waste.
so i feel like supps are best used as motivation tool that help you stick with the difficult workout & diet routine needed to stay in great shape.
Lol, I meant supplements in regards to the aiding of protein synthesis, but it's all good. Thanks for the response.

Yes. What I so is have some sort of drink with a strong flavor, mix in the leucine, shake the **** out of it for ~10 minutes, and then drink it. Raspberry crystal light works really well.
What about mixing it with Xtend? Meaning, throwing them both in some water, and then shaking the aforementioned **** out of it.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I just finished posting on this very subject in my log re: several supps that are highly talked up on these forums & found them to be alot of hype and marketing...all exept 6-oxo..it was the only one that actually did something!

As far as protein synthesis...I agree...food and protein powders.

Lucky

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about mixing it with Xtend? Meaning, throwing them both in some water, and then shaking the aforementioned **** out of it.
I usually mix it with Xtend for the flavor system they use, but it takes a while for the particles to completely dissolve. I add in my water (~50 oz) with 4 scoops Xtend+5g Leucine and it doesn't even completely dissolve until I'm almost done lifting.