Why do people not reasearch their products?

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
Why do people buy things on a whim with no research, no information, and no goals in general? They then complain that didn't gain 13 lbs off nitrotech hardcore or wonder why they don't look like jay Cutler off his mass stack. It just amazes me at the people who buy thermogenics and don't work out or are active!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's about false hope and shortcuts but you probsbly already knew te answer.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
i think they do kinda of a research but there diet is not always good.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
So they can come into Vitamin Shoppe, and bug the hell outta me, asking for "Whee" protein. :lol:
drives me nuts I tell ya

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So they can come into Vitamin Shoppe, and bug the hell outta me, asking for "Whee" protein. :lol:
drives me nuts I tell ya
Next time, prepare a special tub of some "Weeee Protein" - pick a lemon flavor of some sort and make a custom concoction just for those folks who can't pronounce the word!! :woohoo:

OP - Oh, man...tell me about it!! To be honest and frank, it frustrates reps to no end to be repeatedly asked the same questions by folks who have absolutely no clue what they want, what they are talking about, and use only one other person's heresay as their sole base for knowledge. Yes, we help everyone as much as humanly possible. But it gets extremely difficult on our end when someone doesn't want to take a step through the doorway to see the inside of the house before plopping down money to buy it - only to complain later about the roaches and flies that they let in in the first place!!!

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
I mean I hated GNC forever and I started working there to help educate people cause I got tired of hearing employees telling people celltech had test boosters in it and just plain giving misleading information. I try to make a positive impact on customers and not try to sell them muscltech products 9even tho thats what we get the big pms on) I think the company gets a bad rap because some employees are not informed at all about products or make up information to make a sale. it's kind of depressing and thats why I wanted to work for GNC or any nutrition store.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can definitely understand your motivation, bro. And it's quite noble that you did that! The last time I walked into a store like that, I actually talked a few youngins out of buying an NO product!! I don't remember which it was (something dumb), but told them my logical reasoning behind it and made recommendations that if they were going to try an NO booster, how to use it and which ones to get for the best bang for the buck. It's hard sometimes, but the kiddies who walk in and get suckered there unfortunately aren't the ones who come on here to check for info and converse with the rest of us. Boy do I wish they did!!!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
drives me nuts I tell ya
Sir - Can you please direct me to the "wheeeeeeeeeeee" protein?

LOL! ;)

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
People are lazy; it's that simple.
bong! peeps just want someone to tell them what to do without even considering the notion that everyone is different. you tell them you only get out what you put in but in our world you always seem to get less than what you put in (i still love it) and people just can't grasp it. ignorance and laziness! "THIS IS MADNESS"!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
i worked at VS had a bunch of idiots come in there. it happens anywhere. thats just people and society for you. They would be like i want to get jacked. i dont care how. silly people then you try to sell them goodz and they are like no i want Mt. i just shoved a foot in my mouth about it after it happened to me like 4 times in a night once haha

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
OP - Oh, man...tell me about it!! To be honest and frank, it frustrates reps to no end to be repeatedly asked the same questions by folks who have absolutely no clue what they want, what they are talking about, and use only one other person's heresay as their sole base for knowledge. Yes, we help everyone as much as humanly possible. But it gets extremely difficult on our end when someone doesn't want to take a step through the doorway to see the inside of the house before plopping down money to buy it - only to complain later about the roaches and flies that they let in in the first place!!!

I must agree!

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Why do people buy things on a whim with no research, no information, and no goals in general? They then complain that didn't gain 13 lbs off nitrotech hardcore or wonder why they don't look like jay Cutler off his mass stack. It just amazes me at the people who buy thermogenics and don't work out or are active!
just lazy and in most cases their sole reason is wanting to look good so when they see the muscletech ads and promises....

the rest is history, beenhappening since joe weider came along and will long continue into the future.

all the experienced can do is help as best we can, but as the saying goes though, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

common noob mistake

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I made a thread in general chat a while back "things overheard in a supp store" Cause I wanted to share some of the stupidity i deal with on a daily basis.

Seriously, a lot of people do no research, and expect me to know EVERYTHING about everything in the store.
I often tell people who ask me crazy questions"if i was that good, they couldnt afford me" Or "if i was that good, do you think i'd be working here? I'd have my toes in the sand and a drink with an umbrella in it right now" It gets a laugh most of the time. :)

I like teaching young guys who dont know that much about supps, and getting them on the right track, if they are willing to listen, and take advice.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
People hate being told the truth that some things won't work the way they think or that they actually have to put in work not pop a pill or two to get results.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i worked at VS had a bunch of idiots come in there. it happens anywhere. thats just people and society for you. They would be like i want to get jacked. i dont care how. silly people then you try to sell them goodz and they are like no i want Mt. i just shoved a foot in my mouth about it after it happened to me like 4 times in a night once haha
This sounds cocky, but I could sell ice to an eskimo. Just tell them what they want to hear and sell them what they see in the advertisements. That's where the money's made. If you try to tell them the truth, you'll lose sales. When they come back because it didn't work, sell them something newer and more exciting :)

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
1.Advertising is persuasive, people will belive the most funny $hit
2. Sombody will ask a huge bloke what he takes and he will say i take x

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
as an old saying goes - a fool and his money are soon parted

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
In the flip side though, I've had a lot of people come back into the store.."hey...what else do you suggest..I tried what you said and it worked."

I sell on substance, and in the long run, people respect that. Especially some of our best customers.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Same reason people buy bogus fatloss stuff and complain when it doesn't work. It's obviously the product, not THEM hahaha! I think some of them know in the back of their mind that if they research it enough, they'll find out it won't do what they originally had hoped, and they'd rather 'keep the dream alive' lol.

loony41

Awards
iv bought a couple thigns without researching because it was on sale lol but most of the time i have a very good idea of what it is before hand.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the flip side though, I've had a lot of people come back into the store.."hey...what else do you suggest..I tried what you said and it worked."

I sell on substance, and in the long run, people respect that. Especially some of our best customers.
One step further, and why we (some of us) love our favorite retailer carrying bulk powders and actives, is that often the substance, or in this case I am referring to the active ingredient, is in so little dose that it is ineffective. Us thinkers and researchers are the fortunate ones, who with due diligence can see past the "kitchen sink" and realize we are getting little of what is being marketed and a lot of fluff.

Brand 'A' will put a smidge of 'pearl jam' in a product because 'pearl jam' is the latest and greatest, yet they are getting no more weight of the active 'pearl jam' than the weight of the ink of which it is printed on the label.

I am still at heart an old school 'actives' guy and love our retailer NutraPlanet for that reason, as well we always try to have discussion here that promote knowledge the transcends the hype.

We are fortunate as well that our name brand board sponsors produce and deliver with their product line. Win, win. :)

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
This sounds cocky, but I could sell ice to an eskimo. Just tell them what they want to hear and sell them what they see in the advertisements. That's where the money's made. If you try to tell them the truth, you'll lose sales. When they come back because it didn't work, sell them something newer and more exciting :)
You have to tell them what they need and let them make their decision. ANYONE WHO WANTS MUSCLETECH CAN BE CONVINCED TO BUY ANYTHING.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Brand 'A' will put a smidge of 'pearl jam' in a product because 'pearl jam' is the latest and greatest, yet they are getting no more weight of the active 'pearl jam' than the weight of the ink of which it is printed on the label.
that is why i do not trust a proprietary blend

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
haha why cause the amount of each ingredient is labeled with this sign "+"

ropehead

ropehead

Awards
You have to tell them what they need and let them make their decision. ANYONE WHO WANTS MUSCLETECH CAN BE CONVINCED TO BUY ANYTHING.
well celltech and leuckik IS what got cutler his procard! :toofunny:

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
haha and BSN is what gave Coleman his Mr. Olympia Titles lol.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
well celltech and leuckik IS what got cutler his procard! :toofunny:
the big endorsment check cutler got from the money muscletech made from sales of celltech and leuckik is what got cutler his pro card, he went and brought a truck load of "gear" with it!:fool2:

celltech :toofunny:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
drives me nuts I tell ya
Yeah, some of that wee protien, that's not for building muscle...I don't want to drink one shake and look like Arnold.

...If only I could make that up...

ropehead

ropehead

Awards
the big endorsment check cutler got from the money muscletech made from sales of celltech and leuckik is what got cutler his pro card, he went and brought a truck load of "gear" with it!:fool2:

celltech :toofunny:
i was being facetious :sad:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kay-seen, Ca-seen, Kay-sin, Kay-sen, Ca-sin or Ca-sen?
Yeah. I edited it to add some.

I go as for Casein protein and sound like a moron. It was a serious question. ;)

It is ca·sein, but how do you say it? casein - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Just like the blood count charateristic: hematocrit. I used to say hema-to-crit, but apparently it is he-mat-o-crit [hi-mat-uh-krit] or is it: hematocrit - Definitions from Dictionary.com depending upon which dictionary you use.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Even some people who don't trust labels trust their vitamin store (GNC...). Many people do not know to question the claims. They think because it's being sold in a store and not on the street, that it is 'safe' for them to take as directed on the bottle.

It's hilarious how people refuse to put any work into their bodies. I went to a company baseball game outing, and this huge woman was asking me how I changed my body so drastically. She seemed engaged and supremely interested in the nutrion and diet discussion, even asked some great questions, only to say "meh, I can't do that, I'm not like you" 45 minutes later! OMFG, i could have slapped her for wasting my f**king time! Besides, what the f**k does "I'm not like you" supposed to mean??

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
It's hilarious how people refuse to put any work into their bodies. I went to a company baseball game outing, and this huge woman was asking me how I changed my body so drastically. She seemed engaged and supremely interested in the nutrion and diet discussion, even asked some great questions, only to say "meh, I can't do that, I'm not like you" 45 minutes later! OMFG, i could have slapped her for wasting my f**king time! Besides, what the f**k does "I'm not like you" supposed to mean??
Shes clearly lazy. Thats how she got to that state in the first place, and will remain unless she changes.

I'm learning that in life, many many things are attainable, if your willing to put in the time and effort. The best things in life go those willing.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it's more dollars than sense!
Oh.. so now I'm the one being played. I love it! :D I knew I meant sense but forgot where the post was and could not edit it before you caught me. Fun at others expense is often the best form of fun...even if it is at my own. ;)

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Oh.. so now I'm the one being played. I love it! :D I knew I meant sense but forgot where the post was and could not edit it before you caught me. Fun at others expense is often the best form of fun...even if it is at my own. ;)
cheers B, just trying to help out and i'd never make fun out of you big guy! :thumbsup:

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
I mean I hated GNC forever and I started working there to help educate people cause I got tired of hearing employees telling people celltech had test boosters in it and just plain giving misleading information. I try to make a positive impact on customers and not try to sell them muscltech products 9even tho thats what we get the big pms on) I think the company gets a bad rap because some employees are not informed at all about products or make up information to make a sale. it's kind of depressing and thats why I wanted to work for GNC or any nutrition store.
I just go in to buy a drink sometimes if I'm out in town without my food. I've been in GNC before when the employee was telling someone about how good whatever supplement is. What I hate is when they start trying to BS me about how good something is, and ask if I've tried it or whatever, and then they proceed to tell me that the drink I'm buying isn't as good as this other one over here. I'm like, dude, look at me, look at you....I think I know what kind of drink I need for my particular goals.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
to be honest i dont think it has anything to do with being lazy or wanting a shortcut.... mabey a lack of self worth... when most ppl start off here they are kinda overwelmed with info. they dont think they can be as smart, or possibly take in as much knowledge as ppl with high reps here, who have years of experiance.... they think "there is no way i can learn the ins and outs of this sport... ill just ask someone to help me!... the same concept applys to customers who walk into gnc... they dont know what the hell is in the formula label, they think it is beyond their comprehension, so they ask the helpfull "know it all" employee for guidance...i will admite though sometimes a good kick in the as* is the best advice someone can give.. when i started on this website i will admit, i got my as* kicked... but that sparked a thirst for knowledge i have never felt before... I now have an urge for all types of knowledge, including the desire to go back to school! being a complete as*hole to someone who is asking a question is not the way to go.. but a gentle :gotsearch never hurt anyone..

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
to be honest i dont think it has anything to do with being lazy or wanting a shortcut.... mabey a lack of self worth... when most ppl start off here they are kinda overwelmed with info. they dont think they can be as smart, or possibly take in as much knowledge as ppl with high reps here, who have years of experiance.... they think "there is no way i can learn the ins and outs of this sport... ill just ask someone to help me!... the same concept applys to customers who walk into gnc... they dont know what the hell is in the formula label, they think it is beyond their comprehension, so they ask the helpfull "know it all" employee for guidance...i will admite though sometimes a good kick in the as* is the best advice someone can give.. when i started on this website i will admit, i got my as* kicked... but that sparked a thirst for knowledge i have never felt before... I now have an urge for all types of knowledge, including the desire to go back to school! being a complete as*hole to someone who is asking a question is not the way to go.. but a gentle :gotsearch never hurt anyone..
So true. My twin brother is in the "overwhelmed" category. He's still the 145 pounder I used to be. For some reason I can't get him to understand that I started where he is now. I started with nothing but timid but determined trips to the gym + Isopure protein shakes. I think that as soon as i can get a few pounds on him, he'll wake up... but he'll never be a researcher of supplements.

The problem is, it's rare to find a simple breakdown of the necessary nutrition and exercise needed for muscle growth in the places these people are looking. People don't understand that diet and intense training are REQUIRED and everything else is only a small pick-you-up because the big advert companies want them to think there is a pill/powder than can do it for them. And if it is sold in a store, people trust them!

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
ya... my brother is actually stronger than me (i have bigger measurements), yet he doesent like anything but his no2... anytime he sees the word anabolic, he runs the other direction...lol.. i tell him to research but he just doesent have the urge

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
ya... my brother is actually stronger than me (i have bigger measurements), yet he doesent like anything but his no2... anytime he sees the word anabolic, he runs the other direction...lol.. i tell him to research but he just doesent have the urge
My dad used to laugh at all the products in the magazines when I was younger that had the ads with ANABOLIC printed really huge.