How much melatonin?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.

How much melatonin?

How many mg of melatonin do you take a night to aid in sleep? Im taking it for a sleep aid because i ahve to wake up at 545 3x a week for class. The GH benefits is just a plus

Thanks
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  234 lbs.

i personally take 10mgs...but most start out with 3-5mgs and increase the dosage accordingly...
  3. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

I'm the same mate. I prefer it at 9mg as opposed to a lower dosage. I stack with 50mg of diphenhydramine and it's great. There are numerous threads already covering this melatonin if you just do a little searching
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Wow 10 mgs. I have never gone over 4mgs a night. I'm afraid of feeling too groggy in the morn. I like 3 mg with a little theanine and b6. I always feel great in the morning. Throw in a little phenibut and dreamland awaits.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Yeah, I never knew anyone breached the 6mg mark. 3-6 wasn't doing anything for me, so I just stopped taking it altogether. Maybe I'll rekindle the Melatonin flame.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    Yeah, I never knew anyone breached the 6mg mark. 3-6 wasn't doing anything for me, so I just stopped taking it altogether. Maybe I'll rekindle the Melatonin flame.
    Yeah, i took like 9 or 12 mg the other day and it didint make me sleepy at all

Just took 9, so well see how i goes.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  234 lbs.

i always add the melatonin with other things...by itself it doesnt do much for me...so i usuallly end up taking 25mgs of diphenhydramine or 10mgs of ambien...along with valerian root, gaba, and a few other goodies...
  8. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Dam y'all are some ballers...I only take 3mg, any more and I cant wake up.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  9. zed
    Board Supporter

3mg melo and 900 mg of valarian is my sweet spot. valarian takes a couple weeks to get into the sleep system.
  10. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

How long does it take to get into your avatar's system?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

I have 3-9 mg, also taking the upper limit, be prepared to have some whaaaaacky dreams
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

I use 6 mg a night along with one 25 mg Benadryl. After 15 minutes, all the lights are out.
  13. zed
    Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    How long does it take to get into your avatar's system?
    took me one night/ four drinks at hard rock.lol
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

i use usually 1-4 mgs. if i use 5 or more i wake up with wicked headaches. and i usually take it with 500mgs of magnesium and its lights out.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattikus View Post
    Wow 10 mgs. I have never gone over 4mgs a night. I'm afraid of feeling too groggy in the morn. I like 3 mg
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredGalloway View Post
    i personally take 10mgs...but most start out with 3-5mgs and increase the dosage accordingly...
    i thought the same thing when i saw his post. i do fine with a sublingual spray of 1-3 mgs 30 min. before bed and i'm fine. i don't go over 4 mg either.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

how much do you actually need for GH boost?
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieFreeze View Post
    im pretty sure atleast 6
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  234 lbs.

i actaully read a study that 2mgs was effective at increasing GH...probably a dose dependent reactive supplement...melatonin, l-dopa, arginine, glutamine, gaba, and u got some wicked GH boosting...
  19. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieFreeze View Post
    Studies show 5mg or over.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    Studies show 5mg or over.
    Yeah a old study stated 12mgs... but I just found a more recent study highlighting 5mgs. Its around here somewhere.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  21. Banned

Do you guys ever get scary nightmares from melatonin? I've had some of the worst nightmares waking up sweating ever in my life when taking melatonin... it was a 3mg dosage too.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

thx bros for the info!
  23. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

I remember 3 mg used to hit me like a hammer, then I think I got used to it. Haven't used it in a few months though, trying to keep it natural
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  192 lbs.

3 mg always works fine for me, sometimes i take 6mg if i am having trouble getting to sleep - but any more i would feel like a ****head the next day.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.

Man ive used 10mgs of melatonin with 1g+ of gaba and zma with no avail. Granted i usually never have any problems going to sleep on my own but i often find my self waking up several times through out the night. I didnt feel comfortable going over 10mgs of melatonin so i only ramped up the gaba but it only made it harder for me to sleep. I might try throwing in some benadryl and see what happens
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

750mcg. Less is more, IMO.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

Combine 3mg of Melatonin and 4 Abyss and ill see you at 2pm tomorrow.

I love melatonin, it works great for me at low doses. I abused it last semester and it seems to have caused me to lose that "ahhhh darkness, im sleepy" feeling. Although "they" say that melatonin does not induce dependency, i feel that it has for me.

I will take 2 Abyss about 2 hours before bed, usually immediately after my post workout shower. Then i will take another 2 an hour before bed on a semi-empty stomach.

I have messed with Benadryl but i am pretty hangover prone. IT works but i also feel like a "****head."

Good luck sleeping buddies
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

Jesus, am I the only one that takes 1 mg?

Well I do, about 4 nights a week with my nightly dose of ZMA.

ZMA has been a glorious thing for my sleep. Since I started taking it, I've had the deepest and best sleeps I can remember.

Paired with a little Zeus test booster and I just sleep my way through gains :P
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    Jesus, am I the only one that takes 1 mg?

Well I do, about 4 nights a week with my nightly dose of ZMA.

ZMA has been a glorious thing for my sleep. Since I started taking it, I've had the deepest and best sleeps I can remember.

Paired with a little Zeus test booster and I just sleep my way through gains :P
    have you ever tried Abyss?
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

No, never heard of it. Gonna look it up right now. You like it?
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

Oh I see its a lot like ZMA. What's in the matrix? I never feel comfortable taking something that contains 2500 mg of whatever the hell they want to put in it and not say.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...-120-caps.html

As far as DEEP sleep, i have never used anything like this before. It has the 3 or 4 ingredients that i want, all in one.

Nimbus has taken proven sleep producing compounds such as L-Tryptophan, GABA and Phenibut and combined them with key vitamin and mineral combinations such as Magnesium, Zinc, B-6 and the only active form of B-12 in the Central Nervous System AND neurological pathways…Methycobalamin.
    I like it, Melatonin puts me out in ~30 mins but if i wake up during the night, i am up. Abyss will not knock you out but it will keep you out, you will sleep hard and deep. If you have the time dose some light (1-3mg) melatonin along with abyss and you will wake up feeling hella-rested.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

This is the study?

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4(1):14 [Epub ahead of print] Links
    Effects of a single dose of N-Acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine (Melatonin) and resistance exercise on the growth hormone/IGF-1 axis in young males and females.

Nassar E, Mulligan C, Taylor L, Kerksick C, Galbreath M, Greenwood M, Kreider R, Willoughby DS.

ABSTRACT: Melatonin and resistance exercise alone have been shown to increase the levels of growth hormone (GH). The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingestion of a single dose of melatonin and heavy resistance exercise on serum GH, somatostatin (SST), and other hormones of the GH/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) axis. Physically active males (n = 30) and females (n = 30) were randomly assigned to ingest either a melatonin supplement at 0.5 mg or 5.0 mg, or 1.0 mg of dextrose placebo. After a baseline blood sample, participants ingested the supplement and underwent blood sampling every 15 min for 60 min, at which point they underwent a single bout of resistance exercise with the leg press for 7 sets of 7 reps at 85% 1-RM. After exercise, participants provided additional blood samples every 15 min for a total of 120 min. Serum free GH, SST, IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 were determined with ELISA. Data were evaluated as the peak pre- and post-exercise values subtracted from baseline and the delta values analyzed with separate three-way ANOVA (p < 0.05). In males, when compared to placebo, 5.0 mg melatonin caused GH to increase (p = 0.017) and SST to decrease prior to exercise (p = 0.031), whereas both 0.5 and 5.0 mg melatonin were greater than placebo after exercise (p = 0.045) and less than placebo for SST. No significant differences occurred for IGF-1; however, males were shown to have higher levels of IGFBP-1 independent of supplementation (p = 0.004). The 5.0 mg melatonin dose resulted in higher IGFBP-3 in males (p = 0.017). In conclusion, for males 5.0 mg melatonin appears to increase serum GH while concomitantly lowering SST levels; however, when combined with resistance exercise both melatonin doses positively impacts GH levels in a manner not entirely dependent on SST.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

IMO if your goin to take melatonin every night (for sleep aid) it should be real low dose. i do .3-.5mg it does nothing to put me to sleep but once i fall alseep i stay asleep, which is very hard for me.

i have read (ill try to find studies, posted them on other melatonin disscussions) that .3mg is as effective as 3mg (or higher) for use as a sleep aid, and at high doses (1mg+) receptors become "burnt out" lessing the effects.
    this is all based on the benifit to stay asleep, obviously has nothin to do with GH.
    hope this helps someone, just trying to share knowledge.
    (i am not a doctor in any way, if anythin i said is incorrect or off a bit please correct. this is based on studies read)
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post
    IMO if your goin to take melatonin every night (for sleep aid) it should be real low dose. i do .3-.5mg it does nothing to put me to sleep but once i fall alseep i stay asleep, which is very hard for me.

i have read (ill try to find studies, posted them on other melatonin disscussions) that .3mg is as effective as 3mg (or higher) for use as a sleep aid, and at high doses (1mg+) receptors become "burnt out" lessing the effects.
    this is all based on the benifit to stay asleep, obviously has nothin to do with GH.
    (i am not a doctor in any way, if anythin i said is incorrect or off a bit please correct. this is based on studies read)
    How are u guys taking 1mg and less? Ever tab i have ever seen is 3 mg a tab...
  36. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by warbird01 View Post
    How are u guys taking 1mg and less? Ever tab i have ever seen is 3 mg a tab...
    You can find 1mg tabs out there. Though 1mg dose JACK for me.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.

I have 1mg pills. AND if MM11's post is true, it would provide the answer to your problem.
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post

Can you provide anything stating the burnt out receptors evidence. I know that is the theory, but I have never seen anything conclusive to prove it.

Just curious.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  39. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

I know people say .3mgs is as effective as 3mgs... but as you will see, things in theory are much different than in real life. I am sure anyone here can attest that 6mgs is much more effective than 3mgs.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend
  40. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    I know people say .3mgs is as effective as 3mgs... but as you will see, things in theory are much different than in real life. I am sure anyone here can attest that 6mgs is much more effective than 3mgs.

Adams
    *raises hand*
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. melatonin
    By lennoxchi in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
  2. Need some melatonin help
    By ReaperX in forum Supplements
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 07:23 AM