How much melatonin?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How many mg of melatonin do you take a night to aid in sleep? Im taking it for a sleep aid because i ahve to wake up at 545 3x a week for class. The GH benefits is just a plus :D

Thanks

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
i personally take 10mgs...but most start out with 3-5mgs and increase the dosage accordingly...

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm the same mate. I prefer it at 9mg as opposed to a lower dosage. I stack with 50mg of diphenhydramine and it's great. There are numerous threads already covering this melatonin if you just do a little searching :)

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Wow 10 mgs. I have never gone over 4mgs a night. I'm afraid of feeling too groggy in the morn. I like 3 mg with a little theanine and b6. I always feel great in the morning. Throw in a little phenibut and dreamland awaits.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I never knew anyone breached the 6mg mark. 3-6 wasn't doing anything for me, so I just stopped taking it altogether. Maybe I'll rekindle the Melatonin flame.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I never knew anyone breached the 6mg mark. 3-6 wasn't doing anything for me, so I just stopped taking it altogether. Maybe I'll rekindle the Melatonin flame.
Yeah, i took like 9 or 12 mg the other day and it didint make me sleepy at all :(

Just took 9, so well see how i goes.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
i always add the melatonin with other things...by itself it doesnt do much for me...so i usuallly end up taking 25mgs of diphenhydramine or 10mgs of ambien...along with valerian root, gaba, and a few other goodies...

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dam y'all are some ballers...I only take 3mg, any more and I cant wake up.

zed

zed

Board Supporter
Awards
3mg melo and 900 mg of valarian is my sweet spot. valarian takes a couple weeks to get into the sleep system.

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
I have 3-9 mg, also taking the upper limit, be prepared to have some whaaaaacky dreams :D

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
I use 6 mg a night along with one 25 mg Benadryl. After 15 minutes, all the lights are out.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i use usually 1-4 mgs. if i use 5 or more i wake up with wicked headaches. and i usually take it with 500mgs of magnesium and its lights out.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
Wow 10 mgs. I have never gone over 4mgs a night. I'm afraid of feeling too groggy in the morn. I like 3 mg
i personally take 10mgs...but most start out with 3-5mgs and increase the dosage accordingly...
i thought the same thing when i saw his post. i do fine with a sublingual spray of 1-3 mgs 30 min. before bed and i'm fine. i don't go over 4 mg either.

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
how much do you actually need for GH boost?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
i actaully read a study that 2mgs was effective at increasing GH...probably a dose dependent reactive supplement...melatonin, l-dopa, arginine, glutamine, gaba, and u got some wicked GH boosting...

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
pata320

pata320

Banned
Awards
Do you guys ever get scary nightmares from melatonin? I've had some of the worst nightmares waking up sweating ever in my life when taking melatonin... it was a 3mg dosage too.

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
3 mg always works fine for me, sometimes i take 6mg if i am having trouble getting to sleep - but any more i would feel like a shithead the next day.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Man ive used 10mgs of melatonin with 1g+ of gaba and zma with no avail. Granted i usually never have any problems going to sleep on my own but i often find my self waking up several times through out the night. I didnt feel comfortable going over 10mgs of melatonin so i only ramped up the gaba but it only made it harder for me to sleep. I might try throwing in some benadryl and see what happens

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Combine 3mg of Melatonin and 4 Abyss and ill see you at 2pm tomorrow.

I love melatonin, it works great for me at low doses. I abused it last semester and it seems to have caused me to lose that "ahhhh darkness, im sleepy" feeling. Although "they" say that melatonin does not induce dependency, i feel that it has for me.

I will take 2 Abyss about 2 hours before bed, usually immediately after my post workout shower. Then i will take another 2 an hour before bed on a semi-empty stomach.

I have messed with Benadryl but i am pretty hangover prone. IT works but i also feel like a "shithead."

Good luck sleeping buddies

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Jesus, am I the only one that takes 1 mg?

Well I do, about 4 nights a week with my nightly dose of ZMA.

ZMA has been a glorious thing for my sleep. Since I started taking it, I've had the deepest and best sleeps I can remember.

Paired with a little Zeus test booster and I just sleep my way through gains :p

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jesus, am I the only one that takes 1 mg?

Well I do, about 4 nights a week with my nightly dose of ZMA.

ZMA has been a glorious thing for my sleep. Since I started taking it, I've had the deepest and best sleeps I can remember.

Paired with a little Zeus test booster and I just sleep my way through gains :p
have you ever tried Abyss?

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
No, never heard of it. Gonna look it up right now. You like it?

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Oh I see its a lot like ZMA. What's in the matrix? I never feel comfortable taking something that contains 2500 mg of whatever the hell they want to put in it and not say.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/nimbus-nutrition/abyss-120-caps.html

As far as DEEP sleep, i have never used anything like this before. It has the 3 or 4 ingredients that i want, all in one.

Nimbus has taken proven sleep producing compounds such as L-Tryptophan, GABA and Phenibut and combined them with key vitamin and mineral combinations such as Magnesium, Zinc, B-6 and the only active form of B-12 in the Central Nervous System AND neurological pathways…Methycobalamin.
I like it, Melatonin puts me out in ~30 mins but if i wake up during the night, i am up. Abyss will not knock you out but it will keep you out, you will sleep hard and deep. If you have the time dose some light (1-3mg) melatonin along with abyss and you will wake up feeling hella-rested.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
This is the study?

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4(1):14 [Epub ahead of print] Links
Effects of a single dose of N-Acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine (Melatonin) and resistance exercise on the growth hormone/IGF-1 axis in young males and females.

Nassar E, Mulligan C, Taylor L, Kerksick C, Galbreath M, Greenwood M, Kreider R, Willoughby DS.

ABSTRACT: Melatonin and resistance exercise alone have been shown to increase the levels of growth hormone (GH). The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingestion of a single dose of melatonin and heavy resistance exercise on serum GH, somatostatin (SST), and other hormones of the GH/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) axis. Physically active males (n = 30) and females (n = 30) were randomly assigned to ingest either a melatonin supplement at 0.5 mg or 5.0 mg, or 1.0 mg of dextrose placebo. After a baseline blood sample, participants ingested the supplement and underwent blood sampling every 15 min for 60 min, at which point they underwent a single bout of resistance exercise with the leg press for 7 sets of 7 reps at 85% 1-RM. After exercise, participants provided additional blood samples every 15 min for a total of 120 min. Serum free GH, SST, IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 were determined with ELISA. Data were evaluated as the peak pre- and post-exercise values subtracted from baseline and the delta values analyzed with separate three-way ANOVA (p < 0.05). In males, when compared to placebo, 5.0 mg melatonin caused GH to increase (p = 0.017) and SST to decrease prior to exercise (p = 0.031), whereas both 0.5 and 5.0 mg melatonin were greater than placebo after exercise (p = 0.045) and less than placebo for SST. No significant differences occurred for IGF-1; however, males were shown to have higher levels of IGFBP-1 independent of supplementation (p = 0.004). The 5.0 mg melatonin dose resulted in higher IGFBP-3 in males (p = 0.017). In conclusion, for males 5.0 mg melatonin appears to increase serum GH while concomitantly lowering SST levels; however, when combined with resistance exercise both melatonin doses positively impacts GH levels in a manner not entirely dependent on SST.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
IMO if your goin to take melatonin every night (for sleep aid) it should be real low dose. i do .3-.5mg it does nothing to put me to sleep but once i fall alseep i stay asleep, which is very hard for me.

i have read (ill try to find studies, posted them on other melatonin disscussions) that .3mg is as effective as 3mg (or higher) for use as a sleep aid, and at high doses (1mg+) receptors become "burnt out" lessing the effects.
this is all based on the benifit to stay asleep, obviously has nothin to do with GH.
hope this helps someone, just trying to share knowledge.
(i am not a doctor in any way, if anythin i said is incorrect or off a bit please correct. this is based on studies read)

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO if your goin to take melatonin every night (for sleep aid) it should be real low dose. i do .3-.5mg it does nothing to put me to sleep but once i fall alseep i stay asleep, which is very hard for me.

i have read (ill try to find studies, posted them on other melatonin disscussions) that .3mg is as effective as 3mg (or higher) for use as a sleep aid, and at high doses (1mg+) receptors become "burnt out" lessing the effects.
this is all based on the benifit to stay asleep, obviously has nothin to do with GH.
(i am not a doctor in any way, if anythin i said is incorrect or off a bit please correct. this is based on studies read)
How are u guys taking 1mg and less? Ever tab i have ever seen is 3 mg a tab...

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I have 1mg pills. AND if MM11's post is true, it would provide the answer to your problem.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Can you provide anything stating the burnt out receptors evidence. I know that is the theory, but I have never seen anything conclusive to prove it.

Just curious.

Adams

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know people say .3mgs is as effective as 3mgs... but as you will see, things in theory are much different than in real life. I am sure anyone here can attest that 6mgs is much more effective than 3mgs.

Adams

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know people say .3mgs is as effective as 3mgs... but as you will see, things in theory are much different than in real life. I am sure anyone here can attest that 6mgs is much more effective than 3mgs.

Adams
*raises hand*

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Adams
*raises hand*

polo

polo

Awards
i read in muscle mag
its recommended 3-6 mg
but u dont wanna take too much
you can feel like crap next day i cant remeber the side effects
from takin too much but try lookin it up man.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have tried 1mg, 2mg, 3mg, 4mg, 5mg and 6mg. I have yet to go over 6mg. For me, my sweet spot is 4mg. I have seen that if i do not take a break from it, i will become mildly to severely dependant on it. I use melatonin (as i stated above) simply to give me the relaxed feeling, to help me fall asleep. It does nothing to keep me asleep, this is where i use Abyss. Abyss will keep me asleep and allow me to sleep deeper, for longer. I cannot attest to its "GH" increase or anything of the matter. I have never taken it with intentions of raising my GH.

My girlfriend (115lbs) seems to favor the 1mg-2mg dose. 3mg gives he a mild hangover feel immediately upon waking up.

Hopefully this helps the conversation...

solidwon

Awards
I use .5 mg's tops. Some of the amounts discussed here are simply way too high for the long term. Let's just assume for the moment everyone has a comfortable mattress and they didn't drink coffee before bedtime... the pineal gland doesn't manufacture nearly as much as what's in a 5 mg pill. Many report that melatonin works at first and then fizzles out, sounds an awful lot like receptor degradation to me. I think higher dosages are used only to treat jet lag to reset circadian rhythms. Technically it isn't a dangerous supp but it is technically a hormone.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use .5 mg's tops. Some of the amounts discussed here are simply way too high for the long term. Let's just assume for the moment everyone has a comfortable mattress and they didn't drink coffee before bedtime... the pineal gland doesn't manufacture nearly as much as what's in a 5 mg pill. Many report that melatonin works at first and then fizzles out, sounds an awful lot like receptor degradation to me. I think higher dosages are used only to treat jet lag to reset circadian rhythms. Technically it isn't a dangerous supp but it is technically a hormone.
What about the people like me that the lower doses NEVER did anything for me? I need 6mgs at least just to do anything. There is a lot of theory, and conjecture surrounding this issue. We need evidence.

Adams

solidwon

Awards
Everyone's physiology is different but aren't there studies showing how much we naturally secrete? Is there no other factor besides one's brain chemistry that can affect sleep? I mean, I blew three g's on a latex mattress and that investment alone has brought unbelievable sleep. I feel that sometimes sleep patterns or the disruption of them could me more mechanical than chemical.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone's physiology is different but aren't there studies showing how much we naturally secrete? Is there no other factor besides one's brain chemistry that can affect sleep? I mean, I blew three g's on a latex mattress and that investment alone has brought unbelievable sleep. I feel that sometimes sleep patterns or the disruption of them could me more mechanical than chemical.
Oh I do agree with you. Sleep is a culmination of variables.

The questions here are the degradation of receptors due to supraphysiological levels of melatonin. After longer term use of higher doses does the bodies natural levels no longer make your brain think it is dark outside (Since melatonin isnt a sleep hormone, but rather a "Darkness" hormone)? This is the question that is needing to be answered. Is it worth it to take the 5mgs and get the GH benefits? I think so, but each have thier own subjective opinion.

Adams

solidwon

Awards
Is the GH response to 5 mg's consistent with daily administration?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I only take 1 mg and I'm out cold and I still have to force myself out of bed.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
i found that 3 mg gave me a horrible hangover.

i always split mine in half.

but everyones different. the best answer to your question would be to start off low, and ramp it up accordingly to how your body responds.