Muscle Cramps? Look here...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Saturday night I was moving a friend and experienced a few muscle cramps.

I went searching for information and found an answer: hydration & electrolytes (potassium, sodium & chloride)

It seems that lack of hydration, coupled with lack of electrolytes will contribute to muscle cramps. There were a few university studies on this with athletes, and muscle cramps were less prevelant with the athletes that supplemented with electrolytes.

Next time you wake up in the middle of the night with a bad cramp, keep a bottle of Gatorade nearby.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Or you could keep a bottle with some poseidon in it nearby! :D

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Electrolytes help keep the water in the muscle, during the the hotter months you may litterly sweat out your electrolytes and you may notice that water will just go right through you leaving you in a cold sweat and completely drained. This is where cramping is most likely to occur. I have heard of large ball players being fed 3 bags of saline solution interveneously. A friend took in 4 and a half bags during an ironman triathalon or so he said.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Or you could keep a bottle with some poseidon in it nearby! :D
x2. poseidon is the best hydration formula i have found.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I use GlycerGROW for hydration. In addition to the electrolytes you have the glycerol that hydrates and keeps your muscles volumized with H20. The stuff is dirt cheap, one bottle lasts me almost 6 months :eek:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I use GlycerGROW for hydration. In addition to the electrolytes you have the glycerol that hydrates and keeps your muscles volumized with H20. The stuff is dirt cheap, one bottle lasts me almost 6 months :eek:
i haven't heard much about glycergrow lately, i know it used to be popular to take with creatine mono to increase absorption.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I always mean to order glyergrow and always forget about it. Powerade just came out with a calorie free drink with electrolytes which I have been living off of for a couple weeks now, I would love to mix some GMS with that.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i haven't heard much about glycergrow lately, i know it used to be popular to take with creatine mono to increase absorption.

Undderated and powerful product, especially when you combine it with creatine. :dl:

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Good thread RenegadeRows. I believe that the best combo for electrolytes/hydration (anti-cramping) is Poseidon (1 scoop 3x per day) and taurine (4 grams 3x per day).

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Wow I have just been drinking around 130 ounces of water a day and thinking I am saying hydrated... Maybe I should invest in some of this lol.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saturday night I was moving a friend and experienced a few muscle cramps.

I went searching for information and found an answer: hydration & electrolytes (potassium, sodium & chloride)

It seems that lack of hydration, coupled with lack of electrolytes will contribute to muscle cramps. There were a few university studies on this with athletes, and muscle cramps were less prevelant with the athletes that supplemented with electrolytes.

Next time you wake up in the middle of the night with a bad cramp, keep a bottle of Gatorade nearby.
Check out the havoc write-up. I have a section in there on the mechanism of hydration and muscle cramps/pumps. :)

Edit: Here it is :)

-Fluid/electrolyte intake: It is also very important that you keep your fluid and electrolyte(sodium,potassium,calcium,magnesium) intake very sufficient throughout the day. Fluid/electrolyte loss through training depletes interstitial fluids(basically the fluid that lies outside of the cells)which also attributes to muscle pump/cramping issues, and here's how:

Painful muscle pumps/cramps occur due to loss of the osmotically active particles(mainly NaCL or salt) outside the cell within the interstitial spaces. This causes a disturbance in the osmotic balance(pull) of fluid moving in and out of muscle cells. This then results in muscle cells excessively swelling(because they contain more osmotically active particles and fluid)and you develop very painful pumps. This process can also lead to problems with the calcium pump inside muscle cells. This will cause VERY painful cramps due to the muscle being locked in a contractive state. This is why adequate fluid and electrolye intake during training is very important to maintain this balance and prevent these issues.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
O yea i almost forgot about GG!! I love that with my poseidon time from time...those jugs last FOREVER

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
caffeine is also linked to cramps in your extremities, i.e. feet and calves. just another reason to not take cutting sups too late in the day!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you are trying to get me killed, i already have poseidon and purple wrath is on it's way, thinking of getting reduction and now this. my wife will kill me. oh well, what she don't know can't hurt me. shhh.:toofunny:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you are trying to get me killed, i already have poseidon and purple wrath is on it's way, thinking of getting reduction and now this. my wife will kill me. oh well, what she don't know can't hurt me. shhh.:toofunny:
I was able to sneak in an order without the wife noticing a few days ago lol!

Normally she'd start cursing me out, but chalk one up for T1 this time woot woot! :D

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was able to sneak in an order without the wife noticing a few days ago lol!

Normally she'd start cursing me out, but chalk one up for T1 this time woot woot! :D
i have a debit card she doesn't know about. hehe. you don't live this long without learning a few tricks.:woohoo: when she sees the size of the box my next order is coming in i will be dead meat, ive spent my whole half of the $1200 incentive check on supps.:fool2: looking into a a box at one of those mail places.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have a debit card she doesn't know about. hehe. you don't live this long without learning a few tricks.:woohoo: when she sees the size of the box my next order is coming in i will be dead meat, ive spent my whole half of the $1200 incentive check on supps.:fool2: looking into a a box at one of those mail places.
Lol, nice. My wife already has plans for the stimulus check.....it's going into the saving........yay....... :sad:

Oh well, i still got in an order under her nose haha! :)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol, nice. My wife already has plans for the stimulus check.....it's going into the saving........yay....... :sad:

Oh well, i still got in an order under her nose haha! :)
cheer up man, you just got a house-hehe, mine is almost paid for!:woohoo:

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Lol @ Trauma and thebigT's sneakiness. I have been drinking Cytosport's Cytomax during my workouts for weeks now. It is very good at keeping me hydrated. So I ran out a couple days ago and had a back and biceps workout today. Lo and behold, I have some bad cramping in my lower biceps and forearms. Never happened when I drank the Cytosport. So I get home and find this thread. I will definitely be picking up some Poseidon, or more Cytosport. Would like to give the Poseiden a try so I will probably go with that. Definitely a good thread. I think it will do many good to be reminded that hydration and electrolytes are essential to anyone that lives an athletic lifestyle.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol @ Trauma and thebigT's sneakiness. I have been drinking Cytosport's Cytomax during my workouts for weeks now. It is very good at keeping me hydrated. So I ran out a couple days ago and had a back and biceps workout today. Lo and behold, I have some bad cramping in my lower biceps and forearms. Never happened when I drank the Cytosport. So I get home and find this thread. I will definitely be picking up some Poseidon, or more Cytosport. Would like to give the Poseiden a try so I will probably go with that. Definitely a good thread. I think it will do many good to be reminded that hydration and electrolytes are essential to anyone that lives an athletic lifestyle.
Sometimes i have to be haha........:D

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
:toofunny:

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
last time i had serious muscle cramps was my entire thigh muscles from hip to knee, on both legs same time, it was some of the most painfull stuff ever and i got lots of injuries in past

anyways just sharing, i was i believe taking glycergrow at the time and def consuming tons of water, i got leg cramp pills and took some quanine water sometimes, but nothing fully fixed it, i dont know what solved the issue, but it was only after leg days

gg last like months, i didnt have cramps for months, soo idk what happened

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never had any serious cramping, but in the summer I do get the close sweats, and some nausea during very difficult workouts. I may pick something up in the way of electrolyte replacement.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use Poseidon as a staple supplement and after every weigh-in to help replenish. The magnesium and potassium are both very high per serving and it helps to reduce the cutting induced fog.

MOHAWKA

MOHAWKA

Awards
Wow I have just been drinking around 130 ounces of water a day and thinking I am saying hydrated... Maybe I should invest in some of this lol.
If your getting cramps then investing wouldnt be a bad idea. but if ur not getting cramps and just think u need it, why waste your money.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
O yea i almost forgot about GG!! I love that with my poseidon time from time...those jugs last FOREVER
ive been on poseidon forever, but with summertime here i am going to try adding glycergrow to it, i sweat like a turkey on thanksgiving day anyways. so i will have poseidon, purple wrath, and glcergrow. what do you think about mixing them all in my 64oz colts mug and sipping at work. the factory i work at gets hotter than hell. until i go back to work will just drink regular doses.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive been on poseidon forever, but with summertime here i am going to try adding glycergrow to it, i sweat like a turkey on thanksgiving day anyways. so i will have poseidon, purple wrath, and glcergrow. what do you think about mixing them all in my 64oz colts mug and sipping at work. the factory i work at gets hotter than hell. until i go back to work will just drink regular doses.
I realized the other day i have a tub of controlled labs "glycergrow" and i've never used it. I think i'm going to have to give that bad boy a try now. :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I realized the other day i have a tub of controlled labs "glycergrow" and i've never used it. I think i'm going to have to give that bad boy a try now. :)

For sure brother! It's a great summertime supplement, the vascularity/pump that remains all day is pretty wild :) Makes me want to take my lunch breaks @ the beach :woohoo:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I think that will be a great hydration/recovery mix for all day sipping :D ... What kinds of doses were you thinking??? 2-3 scoops of each???

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think that will be a great hydration/recovery mix for all day sipping :D ... What kinds of doses were you thinking??? 2-3 scoops of each???
I do 5 scoops of poseidon when im at work, 3-4 of pw and keep adding water too it. not sure how much glycergrow to add, never tried it before.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I do 5 scoops of poseidon when im at work, 3-4 of pw and keep adding water too it. not sure how much glycergrow to add, never tried it before.
Since you are inactive, I would say 1-2 scoops. When you start getting back into the gym, go up to 3 scoops and judge your tolerance.

I've found that even 2 scoops improves my physique and workouts. That's good because it lasts me a LONG time. It's probably the best bang for your buck cell volumizer IMO.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Since you are inactive, I would say 1-2 scoops. When you start getting back into the gym, go up to 3 scoops and judge your tolerance.

I've found that even 2 scoops improves my physique and workouts. That's good because it lasts me a LONG time. It's probably the best bang for your buck cell volumizer IMO.
thanks rr, looks like i am ready to roll.:toofunny:inside joke.