How many grams of fish oil do you have a day?

How many grams of fish oil do you take a day?

• Total voters

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I chose the 11-15, and heres my reason.

Mid America Heart Institute and University of Missouri-Kansas City, 4330 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO 64111, USA.

The most compelling evidence for the cardiovascular benefit provided by omega-3 fatty acids comes from 3 large controlled trials of 32,000 participants randomized to receive omega-3 fatty acid supplements containing docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) or to act as controls. These trials showed reductions in cardiovascular events of 19% to 45%. These findings suggest that intake of omega-3 fatty acids, whether from dietary sources or fish oil supplements, should be increased, especially in those with or at risk for coronary artery disease. Patients should consume both DHA and EPA. The target DHA and EPA consumption levels are about 1 g/d for those with known coronary artery disease and at least 500 mg/d for those without disease. Patients with hypertriglyceridemia benefit from treatment with 3 to 4 g/d of DHA and EPA, a dosage that lowers triglyceride levels by 20% to 50%. Although 2 meals of oily fish per week can provide 400 to 500 mg/d of DHA and EPA, secondary prevention patients and those with hypertriglyceridemia must use fish oil supplements if they are to reach 1 g/d and 3 to 4 g/d of DHA and EPA, respectively. Combination therapy with omega-3 fatty acids and a statin is a safe and effective way to improve lipid levels and cardiovascular prognosis beyond the benefits provided by statin therapy alone. Blood DHA and EPA levels could one day be used to identify patients with deficient levels and to individualize therapeutic recommendations.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Right now, 6-10 of NP's bulk Fish Oil Caps.

I've gone as high as 20 though(Twin Peak's CC rec.).

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
around 5grams of the Sam's club fish/flax/cla oil bottle and some SAN fish oil caps.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
usally 2-5 grams... should it be more?

i am taking the super omega from walgreens.........finest natural, buy 1 get one free....... 240 gels for 15 bux...........

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
i try to get 5-6 grams, this past month i have been using animal omega, so whatever that has in it is my daily amount- i consider fish oil one of my staples, so as much as i can get!

spigot

spigot

Awards
Anyone else's NP fish oil caps smell really rancid? Is this a bad thing?

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
well it is fish oil, some companies make deodorized versions...also omega3 is great and all but avoid an imbalance with omega6. i take 4-5g a day.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I'll tell you what, if you would send it back at a restaurant, it might have gone bad. Dont NP's come in just like a clear plastic bag? It might have spoiled in transit, if it got too hot or something.

But unless they've been making you sick, you should be fine.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Liquid Fish Oil is the way to go. One Teaspoon yields 800+ EPA and 500+ DHA. Or you can be the guy that keeps a table spoon in the fridge next to his fish oil.

...Who would do such a thing... :ntome:

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
6g I take three Beverly Int it also has Flax in it too.

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
At least 10 grams a day of NP bulk caps. Some days up to 20.

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
Liquid Fish Oil is the way to go. One Teaspoon yields 800+ EPA and 500+ DHA. Or you can be the guy that keeps a table spoon in the fridge next to his fish oil.

...Who would do such a thing... :ntome:
Good to know I'm not the only one who does this! I take 15 grams a day,Carlsons lemon flavor liquid.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll tell you what, if you would send it back at a restaurant, it might have gone bad. Dont NP's come in just like a clear plastic bag? It might have spoiled in transit, if it got too hot or something.

But unless they've been making you sick, you should be fine.
It's actually small impurities in the oil which can get funky and cause this nasty smell.

btw, your avatar is awesome. I wish they made posters of that.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
It's actually small impurities in the oil which can get funky and cause this nasty smell.

btw, your avatar is awesome. I wish they made posters of that.
Makes sense, i was speaking more in general terms, im not too familiar with how fish oil is processed. But mine have never had any smell, and i dont buy those "de-odorized" ones.

thanks man, me too.

ams1

ams1

Awards
i only take two a day. when i was taken 5 or 6 my chest started to hurt.

ams1

ams1

Awards
oh and not to mention the dangers of fish oil. i had forgot to take one of my pills of fish oil and it busted in my pocket. my shorts smell horrible. i think i may have to throw them away.

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
I take 6 grams a day.... or 6 soft gels....... there was a study done that showed a significant fat loss while a positive gain of lean muscle mass at that doeage..... the benefits dropped off by 30% for every 2 grams less they had taken over 90 days..... IE: 4 grams = 70% of 6 gram dosage, 2 grams 40% of 6 gram doseage......

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I take 10 grams of vitamin shop's liquid lemon flavored in 2 doses morning and evening

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
na. after i lowered the doses it quit hurting. but good suggestion though:clap2:
everyone reacts differently i suppose........NEVER heard of that listed as a side effect from such a small dosage. Or a mega-dose for that matter.

good day.

bman

Awards
The chest pain could have been stomach reflux from not digesting completely.

Dibbs12

Awards
Usually take about 3-5 grams fish oils regularly with 3-4.5g MSM, mostly for shoulder problems, never found anything to work better.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I take 15g of NOW Super Omega 3-6-9 every day...I use to hate swallowing these gel caps but now I'm used to it.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I take upwards of 15-25g a day depending on my meals. If I'm eating fish normally I won't take any that meal.

Anybody else had problems with high fish oil doses and bruises not healing?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I take upwards of 15-25g a day depending on my meals. If I'm eating fish normally I won't take any that meal.

Anybody else had problems with high fish oil doses and bruises not healing?
i would say 15g's and above would be too much......... for the average person.

Talk about an easy bowel movement........lol.........

at those dosages(25g), dont get a bad cut.............seriously, your blood may not clot..........

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
i would say 15g's and above would be too much......... for the average person.

Talk about an easy bowel movement........lol.........

at those dosages(25g), dont get a bad cut.............seriously, your blood may not clot..........
I've been doing that for a couple of months. The only problem I've had is the bruises not going away. It would definitely stand to reason that a cut would not heal properly if a bruise doesn't. Anyone know what causes this? Will my body adjust to the high dosages eventually and compensate?

The best thing about the high dosages is the insane feelings of well being. Mega dosing fish oil keeps me in a good mood all the time.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing that for a couple of months. The only problem I've had is the bruises not going away. It would definitely stand to reason that a cut would not heal properly if a bruise doesn't. Anyone know what causes this? Will my body adjust to the high dosages eventually and compensate?

The best thing about the high dosages is the insane feelings of well being. Mega dosing fish oil keeps me in a good mood all the time.

no so sure your body will adjust sir......

This is about the only down fall i know of mega dosing.......Internal bleeding is a possiblity as well...... I will error on the safe side. I recommend you to lower your dosage to around 15g's (MAX) for a while and see how your bruises respond.

dopamine

Awards
Carlson's liquid fish oil 1 tbsp - very good EPA/DHA standard.

But the question really should be, IMO, how much EPA/DHA do you take daily - as they are the active omega-3 fatty acids of real consequence.

planetgambale

planetgambale

Awards
well it is fish oil, some companies make deodorized versions...also omega3 is great and all but avoid an imbalance with omega6. i take 4-5g a day.

It is recommended that Fish oil be kept refridgerated so that they do not spoil.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I take 10-12g/day NP bulk gelcaps. Have megadosed as high as 40g/day liquid, but didn't notice any real benefits from it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Call me crazy, but I prefer my EFAs to come from more diverse dietary sources. Avocados, PB, ligands, and true fish are my source.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Call me crazy, but I prefer my EFAs to come from more diverse dietary sources. Avocados, PB, ligands, and true fish are my source.
You mean lignans?

Oh, and cooked fish tastes bad. *typed as I finish reluctantly eating 8oz of salmon*

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established

yeah i like my testosterone to come from all natural sources as well..........

just doesnt always work out that way...............lol

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Animal Omega, one pack a day. I know Ox runs two packs.

If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to part with 1-2 cans...

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Coincidentally, I've started mega-dosing fish oil this past week or so. I did a quick read on an article Charles Poliquin a few weeks ago about how he recommends 30g-45g of fishoil / day. Then he said that while it would take about 45 capsules to get that, it would only be 3 tablespoons of fish oil in liquid form. Up until that point, I was taking between 0 and 9 capsules / day (sporadic).

For the past week, I've been taking between 45g - 90g, with some days up to 135g. Today will be a 135g day as I've already taken 90g and will take 3 more tablespoons tonight before bed.

Uhmm....not much to report to be honest with regards to anything positive or negative. I think the positive results will be a very slow long-term minor enhancement, if anything.

No stomach concerns what-so-ever, no fish burps even! (I got fish burps often on capsules). I haven't bled lately, lol, so I can't say if the clotting has been affected or not. I do grow tons of facial hair, so I have to shave often, but I guess I really just don't cut myself. I'm not sick, so I can't give any support to immune system suppression either - but that's not exactly a scientific answer. I can't even give a comment on my joints either, but I usually don't have problems with them anyways...

Oh - and i dont feel any smrter :p

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Usually 5-10 if I remember to take them at all.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
i take ZERO!
fish oils inhibit protein synthesis. there was a big article in the march issue of fitness rx.
it is good for dieting,

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use 2g's before most meals. However I get more then enough from my diet.

I have megadosed as high as 30g's/day for approx 1 month. The only benefit I've ever noticed from fish oil was better skin perhaps. Nothing else. It also didnt seem to prevent SD from destroying lipds (didnt really expect it to though).