Melatonin can cause a test decrease?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I found this in the Designer Supp's adrenalean writeup:

In addition to the above benefits, recent research into Arecoline has found an intriguing effect on the pineal gland; the gland which produces melatonin. While the pineal gland is large during childhood and releases abundant melatonin, which is thought to inhibit sexual development of children, the gland shrinks at puberty to allow proper sexual development. Arecoline has the effect of inhibiting the pineal gland, thereby stimulating testicular function by releasing the restraints of melatonin (3) and subsequently increasing testosterone levels (4). This is obviously a welcome effect for those aiming to retain muscle during dieting.

Okay, if all this is true, it is really interesting, as I have used melatonin a few times, and found that it works very well, my libido was not really affected (I think...) Would a melatonin decrease cause sleep disturbances too? I am curious if these have a direct correlation..

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
it would be interesting if it was true - i know i have heard also that melatonin could cause a decrease in sperm production -- i just love my melatonin too much to give it up.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
it would be interesting if it was true - i know i have heard also that melatonin could cause a decrease in sperm production -- i just love my melatonin too much to give it up.
Maybe you'd change your mind.. I would.

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
Maybe you'd change your mind.. I would.
i'll have to do some serious thinking - maybe i'll have to switch to purely gaba and phenibut supps - for my next order i will be getting somnidren - if that could make me fall asleep without the melatonin, than i will take it out of my 'staple' supps.

Dalamara

Awards
Do they have evidence that the inhibiting of melatonin actually increases Testosterone?

Or are they just looking at it and making an post hoc ergo hoc assumption?

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I`m sure that 1mg day wont do any harm, well at least with me it doesn't...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmm......I just read something a few weeks ago that said the exact opposite. :think:

Let me see if i can dig it up again.

fitnecise

Awards
Of course it does, test is supposed to decrease while you sleep. Inhibition by catecholamine release in the morning or using stimulants spikes it.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope, nevermind. It was an article on melatonin's effects on fat reduction.

Melatonin is vital in regulating circadian rhythm and normal sleep patterns. I don't see a small dose being detrimental at all in inhibiting training progress.

kanny

Awards
dude ur logic doesn't work? just cuz the englarged gland which inhibits test prod and produces melatonin, doens't mean conversely ingesting melatonin will enlarge the gland and decrease ur test...

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
dude ur logic doesn't work? just cuz the englarged gland which inhibits test prod and produces melatonin, doens't mean conversely ingesting melatonin will enlarge the gland and decrease ur test...
My logic doesn't work?? This is why there is a QUESTION MARK at the end of the thread title.

You have anything to back up your point? That's what I thought...

kanny

Awards
In addition to the above benefits, recent research into Arecoline has found an intriguing effect on the pineal gland; the gland which produces melatonin. While the pineal gland is large during childhood and releases abundant melatonin, which is thought to inhibit sexual development of children, the gland shrinks at puberty to allow proper sexual development. Arecoline has the effect of inhibiting the pineal gland, thereby stimulating testicular function by releasing the restraints of melatonin (3) and subsequently increasing testosterone levels (4). This is obviously a welcome effect for those aiming to retain muscle during dieting.

my point?

you quoted this urself, it says test is decreased by the enlargement of the pineal gland, while the gland produces melatonin. However the decrease in test is due to pineal gland enlargement not the presence of melotonin. So oral melotonin wont conversely make ur pineal gland englarge as if u were in infant stage.

so theres no logical connection

/thread

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
So oral melotonin wont conversely make ur pineal gland englarge as if u were in infant stage.

All I needed to know. Would have been more simple to write in 1 line though.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
So oral melotonin wont conversely make ur pineal gland englarge as if u were in infant stage.

All I needed to know. Would have been more simple to write in 1 line though.
I think you guys are reaching on this one. People need to realize that you have to take a lot of these studies with a grain of salt. Just because something says it increases or decreases testosterone or uses the word "may" doesn't mean it is going to be significant. The best case for this is the case of resveratrol and people using it as a SERM. Crazy. At any rate here:

A Pharmacological Dose of Melatonin Increases PRL Levels in Males without Altering Those of GH, LH, FSH, TSH, Testosterone or Cortisol
Franz Waldhausera,c, Harris R. Liebermana, Harry J. Lyncha, Maria Waldhausera, Kurt Herknerf, Herwig Frischc, Heinrich Vierhapperd, Werner Waldhäusld, Michael Schempere, Richard J. Wurtmana, William F. Crowleyb

aLaboratory of Neuroendocrine Regulation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.;
bReproductive Endocrine Unit and Vincent Memorial Research Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass., USA;
cDepartment of Pediatrics,
dFirst Department of Medicine,
eFirst Department of Surgery, University of Vienna, and
fLudwig Boltzmann Institute, Vienna, Austria

Neuroendocrinology 1987;46:125-130 (DOI: 10.1159/000124808)

Since reports on the influence of melatonin (aMT) on the human endocrine system are scant and inconsistent, the effect of an acute, pharmacological dose of aMT on various hormone levels in healthy males was examined in 3 different experiments. Experiment I: 80 or 240 mg of crystalline aMT were administered per os to 8 volunteers. Before, during and after this treatment, serum levels of aMT, PRL, LH, FSH and testosterone were examined. Although aMT increased at least 1,500-fold over basal levels, only PRL was significantly and consistently elevated after aMT treatment, whereas serum levels of the other hormones were not altered. Experiment II: in 2 subjects, the pulsatile secretion pattern of LH was monitored for 6 h before and 6 h after aMT administration (240 mg p.o.). Neither the amplitude nor the frequency of LH pulses was influenced by the pineal hormone. Experiment III: in 14 volunteers, serum PRL, GH, TSH and cortisol concentrations were examined, once after oral administration of 240 mg aMT and once after placebo. Serum PRL levels were significantly higher after aMT than after placebo; GH showed a slight but not significant trend towards elevation after aMT, whereas other hormones were not altered. An acute pharmacological dose of aMT causes isolated elevation of serum PRL levels and may slightly increase GH. Hormones of the pituitary gonadal axis as well as TSH and cortisol are not altered by aMT.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
i'll have to do some serious thinking - maybe i'll have to switch to purely gaba and phenibut supps - for my next order i will be getting somnidren - if that could make me fall asleep without the melatonin, than i will take it out of my 'staple' supps.
Let me know what you think brother...I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I think you guys are reaching on this one. People need to realize that you have to take a lot of these studies with a grain of salt. Just because something says it increases or decreases testosterone or uses the word "may" doesn't mean it is going to be significant. The best case for this is the case of resveratrol and people using it as a SERM. Crazy. At any rate here:

A Pharmacological Dose of Melatonin Increases PRL Levels in Males without Altering Those of GH, LH, FSH, TSH, Testosterone or Cortisol
Franz Waldhausera,c, Harris R. Liebermana, Harry J. Lyncha, Maria Waldhausera, Kurt Herknerf, Herwig Frischc, Heinrich Vierhapperd, Werner Waldhäusld, Michael Schempere, Richard J. Wurtmana, William F. Crowleyb

aLaboratory of Neuroendocrine Regulation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.;
bReproductive Endocrine Unit and Vincent Memorial Research Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass., USA;
cDepartment of Pediatrics,
dFirst Department of Medicine,
eFirst Department of Surgery, University of Vienna, and
fLudwig Boltzmann Institute, Vienna, Austria

Neuroendocrinology 1987;46:125-130 (DOI: 10.1159/000124808)

Since reports on the influence of melatonin (aMT) on the human endocrine system are scant and inconsistent, the effect of an acute, pharmacological dose of aMT on various hormone levels in healthy males was examined in 3 different experiments. Experiment I: 80 or 240 mg of crystalline aMT were administered per os to 8 volunteers. Before, during and after this treatment, serum levels of aMT, PRL, LH, FSH and testosterone were examined. Although aMT increased at least 1,500-fold over basal levels, only PRL was significantly and consistently elevated after aMT treatment, whereas serum levels of the other hormones were not altered. Experiment II: in 2 subjects, the pulsatile secretion pattern of LH was monitored for 6 h before and 6 h after aMT administration (240 mg p.o.). Neither the amplitude nor the frequency of LH pulses was influenced by the pineal hormone. Experiment III: in 14 volunteers, serum PRL, GH, TSH and cortisol concentrations were examined, once after oral administration of 240 mg aMT and once after placebo. Serum PRL levels were significantly higher after aMT than after placebo; GH showed a slight but not significant trend towards elevation after aMT, whereas other hormones were not altered. An acute pharmacological dose of aMT causes isolated elevation of serum PRL levels and may slightly increase GH. Hormones of the pituitary gonadal axis as well as TSH and cortisol are not altered by aMT.
FANTASTIC FIND LAKE:clap2:, reps and more reps (after I spread some around).
With your post this thread is over, lol

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
FANTASTIC FIND LAKE:clap2:, reps and more reps (after I spread some around).
With your post this thread is over, lol
I try to do what I can do when I can do it ;). lol

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed - Nice find there lake!

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive used phenibut and gaba to good effect in the past, but for me nothing comes close to 3g of melatonin, the hangover is a ***** though.

Some food for thought here though and one more mind at rest!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Ive used phenibut and gaba to good effect in the past, but for me nothing comes close to 3g of melatonin, the hangover is a ***** though.

Some food for thought here though and one more mind at rest!
Yeah melatonin works great. The hangover definitely sucks though! I am not one to try and pimp products and be annoying but I will say this. We are releasing a new version of x-dream as soon as we get the raws in and lets just say it IS melatonin but with 0 hangover :). In alpha testing I had to hide it so the fiance didn't steal it, she was in love with it.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
Yeah melatonin works great. The hangover definitely sucks though! I am not one to try and pimp products and be annoying but I will say this. We are releasing a new version of x-dream as soon as we get the raws in and lets just say it IS melatonin but with 0 hangover :). In alpha testing I had to hide it so the fiance didn't steal it, she was in love with it.
with melatonin I don't have hangover problems but with your old neurobalance, man seemed like I was hit by a truck, lol
But don't get me wrong I liked the product , I had the better dreams of my life, by the way was the active ingredient only phenibut?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
with melatonin I don't have hangover problems but with your old neurobalance, man seemed like I was hit by a truck, lol
But don't get me wrong I liked the product , I had the better dreams of my life, by the way was the active ingredient only phenibut?
Yes, but it was the delivery system that was amazing. People used to call BS on that until they tried it ;). That stuff was amazing and it was DEFINITELY my favorite product. It is coming back by the way ;), but in liquid caps so no more taste!