Waxy Maize Starch vs. Dextrose

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing some pretty extensive research over the past day or two about Waxy Maize Starch as an addition to my post workout shake. However, I cannot find any solid evidence that it will be any more effective than dextrose. If anyone has any literature lying around that can show the benefits of WMZ versus dextrose, I would greatly appreciate it. Or you can just post your opinion, although something to back up opinion is requested.

This is all because I'm about to place a NP order again, and was leaning towards 2lbs of NOW Dextrose, as it's effective and much cheaper.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I've been doing some pretty extensive research over the past day or two about Waxy Maize Starch as an addition to my post workout shake. However, I cannot find any solid evidence that it will be any more effective than dextrose. If anyone has any literature lying around that can show the benefits of WMZ versus dextrose, I would greatly appreciate it. Or you can just post your opinion, although something to back up opinion is requested.

This is all because I'm about to place a NP order again, and was leaning towards 2lbs of NOW Dextrose, as it's effective and much cheaper.
I would go for the dextrose... I am using bulk amylocel (wms) right now and I really don't notice a difference between it and dextrose. It is about a dollar more per pound too...

FWIW I wouldn't add it to your PW shake I would take it straight up with water first and then have your shake like 10-15 minutes later.

Dextrose in the shake is nastiness (texture wise)

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
agreed - a bit too much like floor-sweepings, texture-wise.

Am awaiting my trial qty of WMS, so opinions still forthcoming

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WMS is widely misused, which has skewed some peoples results. By this, I mean that it should not combined with peptide-bound AAs and should only be used with free-form AAs.

A good example would be to use the following:
70g WMS
25g BCAA/EAA
5g of ________ (e.g. creatine)

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
agreed - a bit too much like floor-sweepings, texture-wise.

Am awaiting my trial qty of WMS, so opinions still forthcoming
Ive heard of people getting some wild pump from WMS, specifically vitargo, but I dont feel anything from what I'm taking. Although I use it for carbs, not a pump. lol

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
My post work out shake is
70g WMS
40g Dextrose
10g Bcaa's
6g Creatine
The WMS is from true Protein.com and is flavored but not sweetened, The dextrose dissolves quickly and sweetens it. It is rather tasty.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the link Joebo. That was a lot of good information. And a lot of Bobo back when he would do a lot more chatting about his methods of training. :woohoo:

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Ozarka. However, now I feel a little stupid for my lack of searching.

C

countryboy

the only real benefit i got from wms versus dex/malto was the lack of bloating that i used to suffer from dex/malto.

besides that not much else.

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
The main difference I noticed versus dextrose was that I was way thirstier quicker and I definitely got a pump and a bit of energy buzz from it. The results happened faster than dextrose. For me the results gradually tapered off after about 2 weeks usage. I was consuming 35 grams pre and post-workouts.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
My motivation for trying it is simple: B5150 spoke *very* highly of it. IMO, his opinions are not trivial; if he thinks so well of it, I have no problem trying it out for myself. I'm always open to low-GI carb sources, and like I say this one come very highly recommended.

Should get here tomorrow

(PS - WMS may *not* be low-GI: Haven't found the GI number for it, but I've generally been lucky w/ long, complex carbs (I find they are *effectively* low-GI, & I tolerate them well).)

Last edited:
Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There's some conflicting info on carbs postworkout so it's up to you to decide if you really want to use them. I would personally use them pre. I noticed a mild increase in pump with wms but not much else aside from that. People seem to tolerate carbs to different extents and thus wms may be better than dex or malto or it may not. It's kind of like wpc and wpi to an extent. WMS is relatively cheap so you can try it out and see if it's worth the additional cost. Or you can stick with dex as it seems to be working well for you.

M

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
WMS is widely misused, which has skewed some peoples results. By this, I mean that it should not combined with peptide-bound AAs and should only be used with free-form AAs.

A good example would be to use the following:
70g WMS
25g BCAA/EAA
5g of ________ (e.g. creatine)

peptide bound AAs is like whey?

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
i've been adding about 50 grams wms to my shake post workout shake of 40 grams protein and five grams creatine, I am not sure if it is a waste of money or not.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Care to elaborate, bro? Wot's the, uhhh, deal re: peptide-bound v. free-form? As regards the WMS, that is....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Care to elaborate, bro? Wot's the, uhhh, deal re: peptide-bound v. free-form? As regards the WMS, that is....
Peptide-bound AA are found in whole proteins (e.g. animal flesh, powders) and Free-form are individual AA (e.g. BCAA, EAA).

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Got *that* part (and thanks!) - but why the caution about which to use w/ WMS? There IS a reason, right? I'd like to know that reason, if you can tell me.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
i was thinking of doing complex carbs with my whey PWO. i might throw some bee honey into the shake to sweeten it and i'm also going to be consuming 10 grams of bulk bcaas (w/juice)

i've gotten a lot of recommendations encouraging using Dextrose PWO. there is always the option of wms but i haven't come across much substantial evidence that WMS is the better option. i could be overlooking something though.

the honey will stay tho. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got *that* part (and thanks!) - but why the caution about which to use w/ WMS? There IS a reason, right? I'd like to know that reason, if you can tell me.
Peptide-bound AA slows down the speed of the WMS, which defeats its purpose.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
isn't WMS less likely to give you bloat as well?