Energy Drinks may put teenagers at risk. - AnabolicMinds.com

Energy Drinks may put teenagers at risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

Energy Drinks may put teenagers at risk.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

Well my thoughts on this is the drinks in question are all gym drinks, they are not out on mainstream store shelves. I guess that experience is the best teacher. As well as the gyms have to id the kids and they have to be 18yrs old.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

Some people seem to be excessively sensative to stims.

My friends is one of them where he gets those jitters,etc.

It is pretty simple though, he just dosen't drink stim drinks. People who are like that just shouldn't drink stim drinks......but they do anyway. hm.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

Yep survival of the fittest!
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Those are all open to regular stores for sale and drinks like NOS have a **** ton of caffeine. I think there should be an age limit on drinks like that.

Drink NOS
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.

Just like anything else, if you drink too much or eat too much of something, it's going to have repercussions. I'm not worried about energy drinks at all.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

People just can't help themselves. Stoopids mess it up for the rest of us. "Middle schoolers" drinking Redline?? YIKES!
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

i went to lunch with my 12 year old and a good portion of them at lunch were drinking redbull.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    i went to lunch with my 12 year old and a good portion of them at lunch were drinking redbull.
    yeah I see kids drinking red bull & its usual competitors all the time,
    honestly though those ones are like drinking a couple of jolt sodas in one sitting, it's probably really bad for a child to consume regularly, but I doubt it's going to kill them, etc. Now, like crader said, some of the others that are pretty much considered 'gym drinks' are a whole other story, I can't remember what it's called, but there's one that ABB makes that's thick like cough syrup and tastes like medicine, that made me very glad I only drank half of it before it got too gross and warm, because man, I felt like I was on something other than caffeine, that's for sure.

EDIT: oh, and I forgot to add, really lame journalism in this article, such obvious attempts at sensationalizing the issue....
    Toxic jock’ behavior
    In March, The Journal of American College Health published a report on the link between energy drinks, athletics and risky behavior. The study’s author, Kathleen Miller, an addiction researcher at the University of Buffalo, says it suggests that high consumption of energy drinks is associated with “toxic jock” behavior, a constellation of risky and aggressive behaviors including unprotected sex, substance abuse and violence.
    come on, you trying to tell me it's an energy drink's fault if a kid doesn't wear a condom before screwing, or decides to go party and do some hardcore drugs? pfft...
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

No, they're saying those who drink them are the types that fall into those categories. Not that the energy drink causes the risky behavior. Considering that it's a rare day that I don't see at least 1 person with an energy drink in their hand, it's a pretty generic study. I do see more and more energy drink based alcohol drinks when i go out.
  11. Banned

I've seen young teenagers at my gym down a RedLine or EndoRush in a few gulps... Minutes later, they're throwing up. Now that I think about it, one kid had to be taken to the hospital because he thought he was having a heart attack. Dumb ass.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

The only one that I have had significant adverse effects from was Redline Xtreme.

When I first had Endorush, I had too much and had some slightly difficulty breathing, but Redline Xtreme, I drank the whole bottle relatively fast and I was puking, and had a headache for about 7 hours afterwards.
  13. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The target market is young adults, kids in their early to mid 20's. It is not right that kids as young as 12 are drinking them. Also I have seen a lot of the convenience stores start carrying things like muscle milk, and they also have the regular energy drinks like Monster and Rockstar. A while back on here someone also posted a thread about a guy drinking an entire Redline on his lunch break and having to go to the ER. He was a construction worker and didn't read the warning label. He purchased it at a convenience store. Me personally, I always read the entire warning label. Hell, I am still not gonna take my Reduction sample because the warning label says I should not unless I am in "Top Physical Condition". I don't consider myself in top physical condition at this point.
  14. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

lately when i go to AA meetings i see more and more teens, court ordered teens. risky behavior is something kids are going to do. i guess energy drinks are less dangerous than street drugs that seem to be easily available to them. not condoning their use, but not the worse thing they could do.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Well think about the burnout effect these drinks are going to have on these kids over time. They are keeping their bodies in a state of "overdrive" day and night, probably dont sleep much at all, push their bodies to their limits, and drink more. Add in the fact they probably dont eat healthy *DUH* and by the time these kids are 25 their bodies wont be able to sustain a natural energy withou the used of stims all day long. Heart damage, weakend blood vessels, their stomach lineing gets screwed up permamently....

I mean I like an occasional "Monster Java Russian" mostly for the delicious taste, but thats like once every 2 months.

And yes I believe a kid who feels like he could last 20 rounds with Ali in the ring would probably do something along the lines of *stupid*.

Not to mention the increased risk of diabetes and other health issues these drinks pose.

I take RPM, but because I am building my body, and trying to improve myself...not because its available and easy to use.

This seems simple, and you might call someone and idiot an laugh at them when they vomit up their latest energy drink. But its basically running *NOS* (not the drink per say, but it is included in this list) through their *engine*.... without proper rebuilding its gona blow out...

AND in recent news teens using Supplements(such as we do) have beeing dropping dead from anurisms, heart attacks, they have been blowing arteries.....
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

as forest gump once said "stupid is as stupid does"

teens have been doing crazy reckless sh*t forever, from abusing energy drinks to driving cars too fast! it's all the hormones and they don't listen anyway, some just have to burn to learn and some just burn.
  17. Registered User

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by b unit View Post
    as forest gump once said "stupid is as stupid does"

teens have been doing crazy reckless sh*t forever, from abusing energy drinks to driving cars too fast! it's all the hormones and they don't listen anyway, some just have to burn to learn and some just burn.
    True. There's nothing to do about it. I've been there, done that. When you grow up, you learn from your mistakes. Everyone did stupid things in their youths. From drugs to unprotected sex... So I don't think caffeine in an energy drink should be a concern.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  191 lbs.

High amounts of caffeine is obviously unhealthy. I still don't understand why people drink caffeine at all. If you need extra energy then you need to look at your diet, your exercise, or the amount of sleep you get. Caffeine shouldn't be a necessary part of anyone's day.

The fact that parents are so worried about their teenagers smoking pot and then let them down 3 redlines a day is just absurd.
  19. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Anybody know the caffeine content in 'blue' Rockstar? During the summer months of '07, I drank at least two everyday, but I would say 3 was the average. I would drink one an hour or two before bed and be fine. That's hard labour putting me to bed!
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

I think both the blue and white Rockstart are 160mg of caffeine each. 80mg and it is 2 servings.

I'm with you. I can put away the big 24 oz no problem.

I was dragging my ass last night. I had 5 throughout the day.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

For me, just a quick 'jump' or to get me alert, 150-200mg of caffeine is optimal. Any less and it isn't quite enough, and certainly anymore and I just flat out crash.
  22. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by epixep View Post
    High amounts of caffeine is obviously unhealthy. I still don't understand why people drink caffeine at all. If you need extra energy then you need to look at your diet, your exercise, or the amount of sleep you get. Caffeine shouldn't be a necessary part of anyone's day.

The fact that parents are so worried about their teenagers smoking pot and then let them down 3 redlines a day is just absurd.
    in a perfect world everyone would have time to sit down and eat at least 3 times a day, get plenty of rest and at least 8 hours of sleep. you are 18, enjoy it while you can. caffeine is not a replacement for proper diet, sleep, and rest, but todays world makes demands on us that don't always allow for this. what caffeine does do is allow you to be more focused and alert when diet and sleep requirements aren't met.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

caffeine is GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the FDA. Plus too in reasonable quantities it helps tremendously. Life dosen't give us things the way we always want it, so you have to adapt, and in terms of fatigue caffeine helps.
  24. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

My sleep is simply disrupted too much to use it any longer. I'm not very sensitive to stimulants in terms of effects (no jitters, shakes, etc.,) but my sleep is very sensitive.
  25. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    My sleep is simply disrupted too much to use it any longer. I'm not very sensitive to stimulants in terms of effects (no jitters, shakes, etc.,) but my sleep is very sensitive.
    try some reset, helps me keep doses low with increased effect. also gives me a boost when i am stim free, which isn't often. reset has really helped me out.
  26. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    try some reset, helps me keep doses low with increased effect. also gives me a boost when i am stim free, which isn't often. reset has really helped me out.
    I have some on me, I will try it. As I said, I can handle stimulants wonderfully. I could easily pound 3 of the 24oz Rockstars at once (usually drank two in a row) with absolutely no issue. When it comes to sleep though, that is another issue!
  27. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I have some on me, I will try it. As I said, I can handle stimulants wonderfully. I could easily pound 3 of the 24oz Rockstars at once (usually drank two in a row) with absolutely no issue. When it comes to sleep though, that is another issue!
    hey mullet, i know powerful helps me to sleep better. guess what so does reset. try taking one before bed. lots of times ive over-stimmed at work to make it through an overtime shift, went home and took a reset. out goes the light. give it a try, bro.
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Hm, I'll try it. Thanks for the tip!
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Liver and kidny damage from those things has to be friggin insane.
  30. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    Well think about the burnout effect these drinks are going to have on these kids over time. They are keeping their bodies in a state of "overdrive" day and night, probably dont sleep much at all, push their bodies to their limits, and drink more. Add in the fact they probably dont eat healthy *DUH* and by the time these kids are 25 their bodies wont be able to sustain a natural energy withou the used of stims all day long. Heart damage, weakend blood vessels, their stomach lineing gets screwed up permamently....

I mean I like an occasional "Monster Java Russian" mostly for the delicious taste, but thats like once every 2 months.

And yes I believe a kid who feels like he could last 20 rounds with Ali in the ring would probably do something along the lines of *stupid*.

Not to mention the increased risk of diabetes and other health issues these drinks pose.

I take RPM, but because I am building my body, and trying to improve myself...not because its available and easy to use.

This seems simple, and you might call someone and idiot an laugh at them when they vomit up their latest energy drink. But its basically running *NOS* (not the drink per say, but it is included in this list) through their *engine*.... without proper rebuilding its gona blow out...

AND in recent news teens using Supplements(such as we do) have beeing dropping dead from anurisms, heart attacks, they have been blowing arteries.....
    what do you suggest we do, ban all caffeine containing drinks because a few teens are and will abuse them. name me something that teens won't abuse? like b-unit said kids will burn and learn or just burn, you can't protect them from themselves. they are too clever and have easy access to anything they want. a more noble cause would be responsible, sober teen driving. imo i am much more concerned about a drunk kid at the wheel than one drinking a redbull.
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Spike Shooter contains 428 milligrams of caffeine in 12 ounces
    Good thing Spike only comes in 8oz cans, shock journalist. 285mg of caffeine. AND they say not to exceed one can a day.

Kids will try anything. Always have. Always will. Caffeine abuse, Steroid abuse, Jenkin (just disgusting), and The Gallon Challenge (nobody wins) just to name a few.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

Kidney and Liver damage ? I don't think I follow.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

The energy drinks themselves are not horrendously bad. Most of them have B-vitamins, Ginseng, L-Cartinine, Taurine, primarly amino acids and herbal extracts.

There's one called 'Kronik' it has milk thistle and glucosamine.

It is interesting to see the different ingredients in them. Assuming you get a sugarfree drink, the worst thing is it is the caffiene.
  34. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Good thing Spike only comes in 8oz cans, shock journalist. 285mg of caffeine. AND they say not to exceed one can a day.

Kids will try anything. Always have. Always will. Caffeine abuse, Steroid abuse, Jenkin (just disgusting), and The Gallon Challenge (nobody wins) just to name a few.
    i guess you've never seen the new spike bottle, it comes in a 16oz.
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

i guess you've never seen the new spike bottle, it comes in a 16oz.
    Nope. It's 2 servings though right? Kinda like how Endorush lists one bottle as being 4 servings. That's crazy.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

I haven't seen the new spike either. Last time I used it was in the cans. I like the lime flavor. It is pretty good.
  37. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperX View Post
    The energy drinks themselves are not horrendously bad. Most of them have B-vitamins, Ginseng, L-Cartinine, Taurine, primarly amino acids and herbal extracts.

There's one called 'Kronik' it has milk thistle and glucosamine.

It is interesting to see the different ingredients in them. Assuming you get a sugarfree drink, the worst thing is it is the caffiene.
    if the worst thing a teenager does is drink a energy drink, consider it a success. i grew up in the 70's and believe me we did a lot worse than drink caffeine.
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

a lot of the non-supplement company ones are just b-vitamins and caffeine. I can understand if ephedrine or yohimbine start getting packed in them, but Rockstar, Monster, Kronik, the mainsteam ones put in approx 160mg of caffine and have your normal ingredients which are not terrible.
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

what do you suggest we do, ban all caffeine containing drinks because a few teens are and will abuse them. name me something that teens won't abuse? like b-unit said kids will burn and learn or just burn, you can't protect them from themselves. they are too clever and have easy access to anything they want. a more noble cause would be responsible, sober teen driving. imo i am much more concerned about a drunk kid at the wheel than one drinking a redbull.
    No I dont say ban em. But the idea of not allowing kids to use them is a good thought.

I mean soda started this whole thing.

America is all about freedom. What people forget is most people are too stupid to use that freedom responsibly. lol.
  40. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Nope. It's 2 servings though right? Kinda like how Endorush lists one bottle as being 4 servings. That's crazy.
    I work at a supplement store in a mall that sells endorush, and a couple of days ago a woman who must have been about 75-80 came in and tried to buy one. She could barely even walk to the cash to try and buy it. It was the first time I've ever actually refused to sell something to someone.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Energy Drinks
    By TheChosen1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
  2. Energy Drinks
    By 4CraveEnergyD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 12:55 AM
  3. Will you be stocking Any More energy Drinks?
    By themandaloria in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 10:21 AM
  4. Reduce XT and Energy Drinks
    By metroba in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 10:45 PM
  5. Energy Drinks and CCE
    By TravisCoSheriff in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 09:00 PM