Energy Drinks may put teenagers at risk.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well my thoughts on this is the drinks in question are all gym drinks, they are not out on mainstream store shelves. I guess that experience is the best teacher. As well as the gyms have to id the kids and they have to be 18yrs old.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Some people seem to be excessively sensative to stims.

My friends is one of them where he gets those jitters,etc.

It is pretty simple though, he just dosen't drink stim drinks. People who are like that just shouldn't drink stim drinks......but they do anyway. hm.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are all open to regular stores for sale and drinks like NOS have a **** ton of caffeine. I think there should be an age limit on drinks like that.

Drink NOS

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Just like anything else, if you drink too much or eat too much of something, it's going to have repercussions. I'm not worried about energy drinks at all.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
People just can't help themselves. Stoopids mess it up for the rest of us. "Middle schoolers" drinking Redline?? YIKES!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i went to lunch with my 12 year old and a good portion of them at lunch were drinking redbull.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
i went to lunch with my 12 year old and a good portion of them at lunch were drinking redbull.
yeah I see kids drinking red bull & its usual competitors all the time,
honestly though those ones are like drinking a couple of jolt sodas in one sitting, it's probably really bad for a child to consume regularly, but I doubt it's going to kill them, etc. Now, like crader said, some of the others that are pretty much considered 'gym drinks' are a whole other story, I can't remember what it's called, but there's one that ABB makes that's thick like cough syrup and tastes like medicine, that made me very glad I only drank half of it before it got too gross and warm, because man, I felt like I was on something other than caffeine, that's for sure.

EDIT: oh, and I forgot to add, really lame journalism in this article, such obvious attempts at sensationalizing the issue....
Toxic jock’ behavior
In March, The Journal of American College Health published a report on the link between energy drinks, athletics and risky behavior. The study’s author, Kathleen Miller, an addiction researcher at the University of Buffalo, says it suggests that high consumption of energy drinks is associated with “toxic jock” behavior, a constellation of risky and aggressive behaviors including unprotected sex, substance abuse and violence.
come on, you trying to tell me it's an energy drink's fault if a kid doesn't wear a condom before screwing, or decides to go party and do some hardcore drugs? pfft...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, they're saying those who drink them are the types that fall into those categories. Not that the energy drink causes the risky behavior. Considering that it's a rare day that I don't see at least 1 person with an energy drink in their hand, it's a pretty generic study. I do see more and more energy drink based alcohol drinks when i go out.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've seen young teenagers at my gym down a RedLine or EndoRush in a few gulps... Minutes later, they're throwing up. Now that I think about it, one kid had to be taken to the hospital because he thought he was having a heart attack. Dumb ass.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The only one that I have had significant adverse effects from was Redline Xtreme.

When I first had Endorush, I had too much and had some slightly difficulty breathing, but Redline Xtreme, I drank the whole bottle relatively fast and I was puking, and had a headache for about 7 hours afterwards.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The target market is young adults, kids in their early to mid 20's. It is not right that kids as young as 12 are drinking them. Also I have seen a lot of the convenience stores start carrying things like muscle milk, and they also have the regular energy drinks like Monster and Rockstar. A while back on here someone also posted a thread about a guy drinking an entire Redline on his lunch break and having to go to the ER. He was a construction worker and didn't read the warning label. He purchased it at a convenience store. Me personally, I always read the entire warning label. Hell, I am still not gonna take my Reduction sample because the warning label says I should not unless I am in "Top Physical Condition". I don't consider myself in top physical condition at this point.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
lately when i go to AA meetings i see more and more teens, court ordered teens. risky behavior is something kids are going to do. i guess energy drinks are less dangerous than street drugs that seem to be easily available to them. not condoning their use, but not the worse thing they could do.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Well think about the burnout effect these drinks are going to have on these kids over time. They are keeping their bodies in a state of "overdrive" day and night, probably dont sleep much at all, push their bodies to their limits, and drink more. Add in the fact they probably dont eat healthy *DUH* and by the time these kids are 25 their bodies wont be able to sustain a natural energy withou the used of stims all day long. Heart damage, weakend blood vessels, their stomach lineing gets screwed up permamently....

I mean I like an occasional "Monster Java Russian" mostly for the delicious taste, but thats like once every 2 months.

And yes I believe a kid who feels like he could last 20 rounds with Ali in the ring would probably do something along the lines of *stupid*.

Not to mention the increased risk of diabetes and other health issues these drinks pose.

I take RPM, but because I am building my body, and trying to improve myself...not because its available and easy to use.

This seems simple, and you might call someone and idiot an laugh at them when they vomit up their latest energy drink. But its basically running *NOS* (not the drink per say, but it is included in this list) through their *engine*.... without proper rebuilding its gona blow out...

AND in recent news teens using Supplements(such as we do) have beeing dropping dead from anurisms, heart attacks, they have been blowing arteries.....

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
as forest gump once said "stupid is as stupid does"

teens have been doing crazy reckless sh*t forever, from abusing energy drinks to driving cars too fast! it's all the hormones and they don't listen anyway, some just have to burn to learn and some just burn.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
as forest gump once said "stupid is as stupid does"

teens have been doing crazy reckless sh*t forever, from abusing energy drinks to driving cars too fast! it's all the hormones and they don't listen anyway, some just have to burn to learn and some just burn.
True. There's nothing to do about it. I've been there, done that. When you grow up, you learn from your mistakes. Everyone did stupid things in their youths. From drugs to unprotected sex... So I don't think caffeine in an energy drink should be a concern.

epixep

epixep

Awards
High amounts of caffeine is obviously unhealthy. I still don't understand why people drink caffeine at all. If you need extra energy then you need to look at your diet, your exercise, or the amount of sleep you get. Caffeine shouldn't be a necessary part of anyone's day.

The fact that parents are so worried about their teenagers smoking pot and then let them down 3 redlines a day is just absurd.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anybody know the caffeine content in 'blue' Rockstar? During the summer months of '07, I drank at least two everyday, but I would say 3 was the average. I would drink one an hour or two before bed and be fine. That's hard labour putting me to bed!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think both the blue and white Rockstart are 160mg of caffeine each. 80mg and it is 2 servings.

I'm with you. I can put away the big 24 oz no problem.

I was dragging my ass last night. I had 5 throughout the day.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
For me, just a quick 'jump' or to get me alert, 150-200mg of caffeine is optimal. Any less and it isn't quite enough, and certainly anymore and I just flat out crash.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
High amounts of caffeine is obviously unhealthy. I still don't understand why people drink caffeine at all. If you need extra energy then you need to look at your diet, your exercise, or the amount of sleep you get. Caffeine shouldn't be a necessary part of anyone's day.

The fact that parents are so worried about their teenagers smoking pot and then let them down 3 redlines a day is just absurd.
in a perfect world everyone would have time to sit down and eat at least 3 times a day, get plenty of rest and at least 8 hours of sleep. you are 18, enjoy it while you can. caffeine is not a replacement for proper diet, sleep, and rest, but todays world makes demands on us that don't always allow for this. what caffeine does do is allow you to be more focused and alert when diet and sleep requirements aren't met.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
caffeine is GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the FDA. Plus too in reasonable quantities it helps tremendously. Life dosen't give us things the way we always want it, so you have to adapt, and in terms of fatigue caffeine helps.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My sleep is simply disrupted too much to use it any longer. I'm not very sensitive to stimulants in terms of effects (no jitters, shakes, etc.,) but my sleep is very sensitive.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My sleep is simply disrupted too much to use it any longer. I'm not very sensitive to stimulants in terms of effects (no jitters, shakes, etc.,) but my sleep is very sensitive.
try some reset, helps me keep doses low with increased effect. also gives me a boost when i am stim free, which isn't often. reset has really helped me out.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
try some reset, helps me keep doses low with increased effect. also gives me a boost when i am stim free, which isn't often. reset has really helped me out.
I have some on me, I will try it. As I said, I can handle stimulants wonderfully. I could easily pound 3 of the 24oz Rockstars at once (usually drank two in a row) with absolutely no issue. When it comes to sleep though, that is another issue!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have some on me, I will try it. As I said, I can handle stimulants wonderfully. I could easily pound 3 of the 24oz Rockstars at once (usually drank two in a row) with absolutely no issue. When it comes to sleep though, that is another issue!
hey mullet, i know powerful helps me to sleep better. guess what so does reset. try taking one before bed. lots of times ive over-stimmed at work to make it through an overtime shift, went home and took a reset. out goes the light. give it a try, bro.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hm, I'll try it. Thanks for the tip!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Liver and kidny damage from those things has to be friggin insane.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well think about the burnout effect these drinks are going to have on these kids over time. They are keeping their bodies in a state of "overdrive" day and night, probably dont sleep much at all, push their bodies to their limits, and drink more. Add in the fact they probably dont eat healthy *DUH* and by the time these kids are 25 their bodies wont be able to sustain a natural energy withou the used of stims all day long. Heart damage, weakend blood vessels, their stomach lineing gets screwed up permamently....

I mean I like an occasional "Monster Java Russian" mostly for the delicious taste, but thats like once every 2 months.

And yes I believe a kid who feels like he could last 20 rounds with Ali in the ring would probably do something along the lines of *stupid*.

Not to mention the increased risk of diabetes and other health issues these drinks pose.

I take RPM, but because I am building my body, and trying to improve myself...not because its available and easy to use.

This seems simple, and you might call someone and idiot an laugh at them when they vomit up their latest energy drink. But its basically running *NOS* (not the drink per say, but it is included in this list) through their *engine*.... without proper rebuilding its gona blow out...

AND in recent news teens using Supplements(such as we do) have beeing dropping dead from anurisms, heart attacks, they have been blowing arteries.....
what do you suggest we do, ban all caffeine containing drinks because a few teens are and will abuse them. name me something that teens won't abuse? like b-unit said kids will burn and learn or just burn, you can't protect them from themselves. they are too clever and have easy access to anything they want. a more noble cause would be responsible, sober teen driving. imo i am much more concerned about a drunk kid at the wheel than one drinking a redbull.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Spike Shooter contains 428 milligrams of caffeine in 12 ounces
Good thing Spike only comes in 8oz cans, shock journalist. 285mg of caffeine. AND they say not to exceed one can a day.

Kids will try anything. Always have. Always will. Caffeine abuse, Steroid abuse, Jenkin (just disgusting), and The Gallon Challenge (nobody wins) just to name a few.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Kidney and Liver damage ? I don't think I follow.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The energy drinks themselves are not horrendously bad. Most of them have B-vitamins, Ginseng, L-Cartinine, Taurine, primarly amino acids and herbal extracts.

There's one called 'Kronik' it has milk thistle and glucosamine.

It is interesting to see the different ingredients in them. Assuming you get a sugarfree drink, the worst thing is it is the caffiene.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good thing Spike only comes in 8oz cans, shock journalist. 285mg of caffeine. AND they say not to exceed one can a day.

Kids will try anything. Always have. Always will. Caffeine abuse, Steroid abuse, Jenkin (just disgusting), and The Gallon Challenge (nobody wins) just to name a few.
i guess you've never seen the new spike bottle, it comes in a 16oz.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
i guess you've never seen the new spike bottle, it comes in a 16oz.
Nope. It's 2 servings though right? Kinda like how Endorush lists one bottle as being 4 servings. That's crazy.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen the new spike either. Last time I used it was in the cans. I like the lime flavor. It is pretty good.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The energy drinks themselves are not horrendously bad. Most of them have B-vitamins, Ginseng, L-Cartinine, Taurine, primarly amino acids and herbal extracts.

There's one called 'Kronik' it has milk thistle and glucosamine.

It is interesting to see the different ingredients in them. Assuming you get a sugarfree drink, the worst thing is it is the caffiene.
if the worst thing a teenager does is drink a energy drink, consider it a success. i grew up in the 70's and believe me we did a lot worse than drink caffeine.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
a lot of the non-supplement company ones are just b-vitamins and caffeine. I can understand if ephedrine or yohimbine start getting packed in them, but Rockstar, Monster, Kronik, the mainsteam ones put in approx 160mg of caffine and have your normal ingredients which are not terrible.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
:woohoo:
what do you suggest we do, ban all caffeine containing drinks because a few teens are and will abuse them. name me something that teens won't abuse? like b-unit said kids will burn and learn or just burn, you can't protect them from themselves. they are too clever and have easy access to anything they want. a more noble cause would be responsible, sober teen driving. imo i am much more concerned about a drunk kid at the wheel than one drinking a redbull.
No I dont say ban em. But the idea of not allowing kids to use them is a good thought.

I mean soda started this whole thing.

America is all about freedom. What people forget is most people are too stupid to use that freedom responsibly. lol.

lector606

lector606

Awards
Nope. It's 2 servings though right? Kinda like how Endorush lists one bottle as being 4 servings. That's crazy.
I work at a supplement store in a mall that sells endorush, and a couple of days ago a woman who must have been about 75-80 came in and tried to buy one. She could barely even walk to the cash to try and buy it. It was the first time I've ever actually refused to sell something to someone.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I work at a supplement store in a mall that sells endorush, and a couple of days ago a woman who must have been about 75-80 came in and tried to buy one. She could barely even walk to the cash to try and buy it. It was the first time I've ever actually refused to sell something to someone.
You should have given it to her for free if she would agree to drink it in front of you.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You should have given it to her for free if she would agree to drink it in front of you.
that made me laugh-reminded me of 'granny' clampet and her rheumatism medicine. i can see her hopping over the counter and giving you a big ole hickey. hahahahaha. damn, i got a good laugh thinking about that.:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
haha, yeah if someone was barely alive, I'd tell her she could have for free, but she'd have to drink the whole bottle in front of me in 20 seconds. Hehe.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
haha, yeah if someone was barely alive, I'd tell her she could have for free, but she'd have to drink the whole bottle in front of me in 20 seconds. Hehe.
the whole granny clampit thing, damn that would make a great commercial. can't help it, the picture of granny jumping over the counter and planting a big one on ya is cracking me up. my wife keeps asking me 'whats wrong with you' hahaha hahaha gonna give myself a heart attack. hahaha ok im rolling on the floor now hahaha:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Probably what would happen is she'd drink the bottle and comment how the flavor tasted, probably the whole bottle too.

Then in about 15 minutes grandma would get 'wide-eyed', fall on the ground gasping for air and shaking like a diabetic with a seizure.

All caught on tape and later put on youtube.

This is my rendition anyways of how it would go down.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Probably what would happen is she'd drink the bottle and comment how the flavor tasted, probably the whole bottle too.

Then in about 15 minutes grandma would get 'wide-eyed', fall on the ground gasping for air and shaking like a diabetic with a seizure.

All caught on tape and later put on youtube.

This is my rendition anyways of how it would go down.
nonono don't ruin my vision of granny hoping over the counter and planting one on you. man i haven't laughed so hard forever. oh man, im losing it:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

lector606

lector606

Awards
Actually, after I talked to her, I realized that she had somehow come to the conclusion it was going to help relieve her of pain she had in her arm since she had broken it. Her English wasn't great, but I think I was able to convey that suicide wasn't the best way to get rid of the pain.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Actually, after I talked to her, I realized that she had somehow come to the conclusion it was going to help relieve her of pain she had in her arm since she had broken it. Her English wasn't great, but I think I was able to convey that suicide wasn't the best way to get rid of the pain.
sorry i got carried away. you did a good thing.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
:woohoo:

No I dont say ban em. But the idea of not allowing kids to use them is a good thought.

I mean soda started this whole thing.

America is all about freedom. What people forget is most people are too stupid to use that freedom responsibly. lol.
where are the parents?