most clean/strictest standards creatine mono

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend has muscular dystrophy (diagnosed at age 7 I think, now 40) and her muscle tissue has started to decline more and more rapidly over the last 3 years. I was thinking creatine monohydrate would be something she could try to at least slow down the strength loss a little bit. Rather than buy just any creatine mono, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knew of any brands
that have particularly high manufacturing/purity standards. So, even though the rest of us might have out own preferences for forms, flavors, additives and extras, company loyalties, etc. I don't want any of that factored into the suggestions, for her sake and for the sake of the accuracy of any opinions she forms.
So, any suggestions?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Not to take away from creatine, But have you looked into HMB?

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Just looked it up, I'll have to research it some more. I'm thinking creatine because other than some bloating or the occasional bad stomach, there's no side effects and it's been tested over enough time to where the only things I'd recommend before resorting to it as an athlete would be whey and a multi vitamin, know what I mean?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
HMB is a metabolite of Leucine which helps with muscle preservation. Here is an abstract of a study on it:
As a purported anti-catabolic agent, HMB supplementation has been examined under various muscle wasting situations. Soares et al. [48] showed that HMB supplementation during hind limb immobilization of adult mice resulted in less fiber damage, and greater muscle fiber diameter (+6.9%). Consistent with these results, studies have found that HMB supplementation decreases performance decrements associated with bed rest [49,50]. Cohen [51] investigated the effects of HMB supplementation on changes in body composition during positive and negative energy balances. Results found that HMB supplementation maintained LBM to a greater extent than placebo while in a negative energy balance. This is consistent with similar studies on the effects of amino acids and their metabolites during negative energy balance [52-54].

Studies also indicate that HMB can reduce muscle loss associated with diseases such as auto immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) [55,56], and cachectic cancerous conditions [35]. Collectively, these results led Alon et al. [57] in a review on HMB to suggest that "continuing research in HMB treatment of patients with advanced-stage disease may potentially uncover methods to increase strength and immunity and thus improve chances of survival (p.g. 14)."

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the creatine, but for muscle preservation I would look into HMB as well. I work at a Nursing home and well use a supplement called Juven, you can get it at any drug store but you can also make it yourself a lot cheaper.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Does your g/f lift weights at all? I'm not so sure creatine prevents catabolism, i think its used more for adding strength via increased atp. HMB is a supplement that supposedly prevents catabolism. It is still debated if it is effective or not, although we are seeing more studies showing it is effective, yet it is rather expensive still. What is proven to prevent catabolism, and cheaper is plain old l-leucine an essential amino acid. Try starting her out on 3g 2-3 times a day and guage her progress. Other than that try other Essential or BCAA's, maybe some low dose anavar but i doubt she wants to take the steriod route, that would be something best discussed with her doctor.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Other than that try other Essential or BCAA's, maybe some low dose anavar but i doubt she wants to take the steriod route, that would be something best discussed with her doctor.
yeah, I'm not going to encourage steroid use with her, at best it would only slow the inevitable, as would any other treatment currently known to man, so I won't encourage her to mess with her endocrine system, etc. I'm just thinking creatine and as you said, perhaps some BCAA's since she eats very little and the aminos couldn't hurt. I just want to keep any supps I get her to try as pure and simple, and harmless as possible. Since creatine has no flavor and very little texture, it'd be easier to get her to try it. She's one of the types where if something tastes at all medicinal, she won't take it. You know, like a 5 year old, lol. EDIT: oh, and no, she doesn't exercise at all. Her condition requires one to be very careful with exercise, doctors say if she strains herself enough it only speeds the decline, because her muscles are not capable of recovering the way ours do. It's a nice excuse, lol.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Creapure is supposed to be the highest standards for monohydrate, I believe.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
bulk luecine (.4grams perpound of bodyweight)...?CEE? (maybe, i have never been too fond of this but there is no water retention)...if its what i think it is she should be on some kind of HRT...hope this helps...