Need some melatonin help

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I just started using Melatonin and it works great. I take 1mg around 1 hr before bed or so.

Usually I get a 'high' feeling about 45 min after taking it, I sleep soundly, and wake up great in the morning. Occasionally I'll wake up somewhat still sluggish and groggy.

Last night I took 1mg of melatonin. It was about 2 hrs later and I still wasn't sleepy so I took another 1mg and was still awake an hour later.

I started having a f.ucked up dream and woke up several times throughout the night paranoid and strung out.

So I'm left wondering a few things.....................

1. Does melatonin only work if you are sorta tired and it just 'finishes you off' ? (homo)

2. Does melatonin have a window once you start feeling sleepy before it wears off ? It seemed like I was tired for 15 minutes where I could have fallen asleep, but I didn't b/c I was still doing some work, then when I went to go to bed later on that 'sleepy window' was gone.

3. Does the body develop a tolerance to this stuff after awhile and higher doses are needed ? Does this stuff need to be used off and on to keep it working ?

I just started using this stuff about a week ago, and this has been the first time I've had unusual results with it.

thanks.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Itdevelopes a tolerance. I go 3-4 days a week. Try not to do them in a row, 2 at most, 3 if i really want or can get the sleep. I never take it if i have to be up before 8am or i do also feel groggy.
Stack with GABA, Theanine, L-Dopa or soemthing else to feel better.
Or even GABA itself helps relax and sleep.

3g~ GABA and 1.5mg~ Melatonin and i sleep like im in a coma, assuming i hadnt had caffeine within the 3 hours of dosing.

Goodluck Reaper.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
haha you bumped after 2 minutes!? hahaha

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
haha you bumped after 2 minutes!? hahaha

lol.

I'll try just using it when I really need it. I was getting to the point where I started taking 1mg everyday and it seemed to lose its effects really fast. I wake up everyday to go to work @ 7am. I feel shlt tired when I do wake up.

I'll probably start saving it for the weekends where it helps me stay asleep longer.

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I use 3 mg each night. The high feeling only lasted a week or so for me, though the dreams continue. I rarely remember dreams, so I have loved that aspect of it. Never woken up groggy. I don't use it on the weekends just to give myself a slight break.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've been taking melatonin for some time now but never experience any side effects such as you reported 'high' feeling or waking up felling sluggish and groggy.

I do take it everyday but will stop taking this on the weekends so that i don't build tolerence.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It should be used only temporarily. It is a hormone that regulates your circadian rythm. Use it when you are regulating your sleep cycle. What I mean is go to bed the same time every night. Get up the same time, even if you are tired. After a few nights like this you should be able to cycle off it, but continue to keep your sleep scedule the same. You should have actually started with a slightly smaller dose. The smallest effective dose should be used. Starting with .5 milligram a night.

You may want to try ZMT by Nutraplanet instead or cycle from one to the other,

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/nutraplanet/zmt-nutracaps-100-caps.html

Heres a cut and paste job from Nutraplanet,

"Tryptophan has been shown to increase Serotonin and Melatonin production, allowing for a natural effective way to aid sleep and promote full recovery from strenuous exercise."

I'm not sure stacking them would be a good idea, but I would guess the ZMT would be a better option because it would increase endogenous production instead of an exogenous source of the hormone melatonin.

Just my personal opinion based on what I have read about the two different products.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
So using tryptophan is a safer alternative then ? The ZMT is better for long-term usage ?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So using tryptophan is a safer alternative then ? The ZMT is better for long-term usage ?

I have no evidence to support this, just my opinion based on the reading I have done. Makes sense to me because melatonin is hormone and just like any other hormone you add from outside the body you body will down-regulate its own production. Just like you are better off using a natural test booster than synthetic testosterone.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
ZMK and 5HTP. If you're looking for a good herbal mix to throw in, toss in some lemon balm and valerian root extract. Keep the melatonin out of the equation and if you do, you'd only need 500mcg. If you're looking for a bit more relaxation, chuck in 200mg L-Theanine. If you want some WHACKY dreams and remember every second of them, throw in some Huperzine-A.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
i feel a little sluggish if i take it too late at night, like past 3am...

i try not to take it too often only when i need it...i usually just use ZMA as a daily supp.

I have experienced this same effect though, i will know im going to be up so i take it, then i feel really tired, sorta pass out but wake back up for whatever reason and then im like over the hump, wide awake and take a 2nd pill doesn't help much...

not sure why but it sucks, if this happens i usually just get out of bed for 15min and do something like read...when you get back in bed your reset and ready to go ;) (at least for me).

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If you wake up feeling groggy from the melatonin, just expose your eyes to light and it should go away rather quickly. Light counteracts melatonin so when you dose it at night try to be in a dim environment. I use to get sublingual melatonin and that stuff would knock me out and leave me drooling on my pillow about 20 minutes after taking it, but the ON brand that nutra sells doesn't hit nearly as hard for me. I haven't used melatonin in almost two months now b/c of my X-Factor, but I can not wait to pop one in a week or two...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Is L-Tryptophan/5-HTP (its next immediate precursor) safe long-term ?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
REAPER, who the hell is that in your avatar?! Goddam thing scares the hell out of me...

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
L-Dopa, Melatonin, and ZMA. Sleep like a log and have whacked out dreams.

I've gotten insomnia from too much melatonin before (6mg I think) most of the time it does the trick with 3mg or less though. Definitely don't want to use it all the time. I just use it when I know I can 'sleep in' I think I would sleep through my alarm clock if I used it most nights.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
I just started using Melatonin 2 nights ago," Wicked Vivid Dreams"!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
haha. It is some kid named 'youngguns' on the muscula development forum that everyone makes fun of. They photoshopped his picture.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
haha. It is some kid named 'youngguns' on the muscula development forum that everyone makes fun of. They photoshopped his picture.
and I thought that was an eighties picture of Tom Hanks

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
More is not always better with melatonin. So be careful with that regard. It also works as an MAOI, so it you take a lot of it, it can work as a mild stimulant.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Didn't I read somewhere that you can take 6 mg or more before and after workout to boost growth hormone? Seems like it would make working out almost impossible.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Didn't I read somewhere that you can take 6 mg or more before and after workout to boost growth hormone? Seems like it would make working out almost impossible.
Let us know how that works out for you. ;)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's really funny about that li'l tidbit that every other exercise magazine seems to exploit is the fact that it has no affect on IGF.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Vivid dreams, yes, high no, never. I take it right before I hit the bed, not an hour before, usually right before I brush my teeth, along with fish and a multi. I dont take it everyday, mostly 3-4 days during the week, no weekends. Makes me sleep soundly, wake up sometimes to pee, but not strung out or paranoid, best of all, Ive found its easier to fall back asleep afterward. Not really sure what might have caused your episode, but good luck with the melatonin.

kamrynd

Awards
melatonin kicks ass
i have the weirdest and most vivid dreams

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
That's a very large amount: 9mg.

I guess melatonin is not addicting, however when you are substituting a homone for another, I can't imagine it is the best option.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I try to be careful.

I've had a string of nightmares for about a good 3 months, and during the entire month of Feb, I was waking up every morning with anxiety, that was for a good 28-30 days straight.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I try to be careful.

I've had a string of nightmares for about a good 3 months, and during the entire month of Feb, I was waking up every morning with anxiety, that was for a good 28-30 days straight.
Then don't throw ZMA/ZMT into the mix with melatonin. I get them the worst with that combo.

L-Dopa and/or Melatonin just knocks me out, no dreams.

ZMA added and its bizzarro land.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
ZMA dosen't really make me sleepy. I've used a bunch of various forms of it.

L-Dopa made me have vivid dreams, some good, some bad, but they were vivid.

Never tried L-tryptophan before.

Melatonin I will probably only use in desperate circumstances. I'm sure because it was my first time, it just completely drained me to sleep, but I don't want it to lose its effect or potency so I'll use it sparingly.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I actually take ZMA in the early afternoon sometime on an empty stomach. I find it just as a mineral/vitamin supplementation, nothing too special in regards to sleep anyway.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
What's wrong with mixing St. John's Wort and L-Tryptophan ?

I've noticed my eyes are slightly more sensitive to sunlight now, and I am more sensative to sunlight in general now that I've been taking St. John's Wort.

I've been using 6 caps/ED

Each cap is 300mg, so total I'm taking in 1.8g.

I think the standardized active ingredient is 0.3 or something like that.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's wrong with mixing St. John's Wort and L-Tryptophan ?

I've noticed my eyes are slightly more sensitive to sunlight now, and I am more sensative to sunlight in general now that I've been taking St. John's Wort.

I've been using 6 caps/ED

Each cap is 300mg, so total I'm taking in 1.8g.

I think the standardized active ingredient is 0.3 or something like that.

Taken from, http://www.sjwinfo.org/dosage.php

What is the correct dosage?
The normal dosage, according to the original study by the British Medical Journal, is three capsules of St. John's Wort extract per day, 300 mg each, standardized to contain 0.3% hypericin (note: this is a total of 900 mg per day at 0.3% -- too little might not be effective, but some people prefer to start out with a lower dosage anyway or have a smaller body size). Smaller people might want to only take two capsules, teens should only take one or two, and children (at the advice of a doctor only!) should take no more than one.

Just about every brand labels their product differently. It can be hard to know what you're getting, so you might have to do a little math... for example, if the brand you found is standardized to contain 0.15% hypericin, you'll need to take twice as much. Other brands, you might need to take less. Pay attention to what you're buying, and make sure you take the right amount. More information in my small FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on the message forum.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I just started using Melatonin and it works great. I take 1mg around 1 hr before bed or so.

Usually I get a 'high' feeling about 45 min after taking it, I sleep soundly, and wake up great in the morning. Occasionally I'll wake up somewhat still sluggish and groggy.

Last night I took 1mg of melatonin. It was about 2 hrs later and I still wasn't sleepy so I took another 1mg and was still awake an hour later.

I started having a f.ucked up dream and woke up several times throughout the night paranoid and strung out.

So I'm left wondering a few things.....................

1. Does melatonin only work if you are sorta tired and it just 'finishes you off' ? (homo)

2. Does melatonin have a window once you start feeling sleepy before it wears off ? It seemed like I was tired for 15 minutes where I could have fallen asleep, but I didn't b/c I was still doing some work, then when I went to go to bed later on that 'sleepy window' was gone.

3. Does the body develop a tolerance to this stuff after awhile and higher doses are needed ? Does this stuff need to be used off and on to keep it working ?

I just started using this stuff about a week ago, and this has been the first time I've had unusual results with it.

thanks.
Tom says you need to check your Scientology handbook, It says all drugs are worthless and Zenu is the only way.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I already bought the first set from the church of scientology.

I sold my car and bought it on sale for $17,000.

I plan on selling my house to catch the fall sale this year.

I heard he throws in an extra tape for free. It is only $135,000.

Not bad eh ?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Taken from, http://www.sjwinfo.org/dosage.php

What is the correct dosage?
The normal dosage, according to the original study by the British Medical Journal, is three capsules of St. John's Wort extract per day, 300 mg each, standardized to contain 0.3% hypericin (note: this is a total of 900 mg per day at 0.3% -- too little might not be effective, but some people prefer to start out with a lower dosage anyway or have a smaller body size). Smaller people might want to only take two capsules, teens should only take one or two, and children (at the advice of a doctor only!) should take no more than one.

Just about every brand labels their product differently. It can be hard to know what you're getting, so you might have to do a little math... for example, if the brand you found is standardized to contain 0.15% hypericin, you'll need to take twice as much. Other brands, you might need to take less. Pay attention to what you're buying, and make sure you take the right amount. More information in my small FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on the message forum.

What brand was it again that you were using ? I'm going to try taking it again with a different brand. I saw that NOW Foods sells some.

Plus I hear it also helps slightly with weight loss so that's a plus.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What brand was it again that you were using ? I'm going to try taking it again with a different brand. I saw that NOW Foods sells some.

Plus I hear it also helps slightly with weight loss so that's a plus.

Get Kira brand. All you will need is 3 a day. It takes about 15-30 days for full effect.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Thanks T-Bone. I'll check out that website and Kira.

How long have you been on STJ for ?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've stopped taking melatonin and have not notice any difference in my sleep... meaning I've been sleeping as good as I did while on in

AllGenetix

Awards
keeps me asleep all night except to pee. sustained release FTW!