What type of protein is best for a lean bulk (whey, casein, egg, etc)? - AnabolicMinds.com

What type of protein is best for a lean bulk (whey, casein, egg, etc)?

  1. e30Kat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    96

    Reputation

    What type of protein is best for a lean bulk (whey, casein, egg, etc)?


    Like the title says, what type of protein is best for a lean bulk (whey, casein, egg, etc)? and where should i look for it...

    Will be using it to get the most out of my IGF-2/Neovar Recomped/Drive stack.

    Cost isn't really a factor, looking for quality.

    TIA!

    -mike

  2. Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,008
    Rep Power
    917970

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    A lean bulk is about your caloric intake, not what supplements you use.

    That being said, a MPI/Egg combo would be my choice.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. KLaw666's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    153

    Reputation

    whey is fast-acting, so i take it post-W/O, and casein at night b4 bed. ON 100% whey is the shizzzzniiiiiitttt
    •   
       

  4. Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    713

    Reputation

    Ergopharm GF Pro for your WPI

    Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide (not version two) for your Micellar Casein/WPI


    I have stomach problems with most Whey Products, but not these two, if its quality you want, you can not beat these two products.


    You can find both at NutraPlanet.com fast shipping, great prices, amazing customer service.
  5. milwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,460
    Rep Power
    1404

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    A lean bulk is about your caloric intake, not what supplements you use.

    That being said, a MPI/Egg combo would be my choice.
    Agree. Cals and nutritional profile are the keys to your lean bulk.

    Whey is best after workouts because of its fast action (hydrolized whey protein and WPI are the best; quickest and most nutritionally ideal). However, I no longer trip about it because I have beter things to worry about, so I just use a good inexpensive whey protein that incudes isolate and concentrate.

    As stated above, caesin is good as a slower digestion protein for night time, as is calcium casseinate.

    Egg protein is underrated these days because there is so much whey everywhere, and egg protein has become overly expensive.

    Just make sure most of your protein comes from lean meat, fish, and chicken, and that you SUPPLEMENT these foods with proper amounts of protein powders, etc. GOOD LUCK with the bulk!!!
  6. Cellardude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    32270

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by e30Kat View Post
    Like the title says, what type of protein is best for a lean bulk (whey, casein, egg, etc)? and where should i look for it...

    Will be using it to get the most out of my IGF-2/Neovar Recomped/Drive stack.

    Cost isn't really a factor, looking for quality.

    TIA!

    -mike
    ATW whey protein is pretty high quality. I get a lot of reactions off cheap whey due to the filtration process most likely. Never had any stomach or rash/acne reactions from ATW.

    I use Whey 80% of the day just cause I like the texture of the protein, (not gritty goes down smoothe and fast) I have caesin for night time use though.
  7. rolandajoint's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,545
    Rep Power
    854

    Reputation

    chicken, beef, tuna, and turkey are best for a lean bulk
  8. cantstop19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    173

    Reputation

    i would say either ON nutritions or ATW are the best available
  9. Sprawl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    89

    Reputation

    For a lean bulk you are gonna want

    -One whey protein. ON 100% whey is good. Use this post-workout.
    -One either casein or mix. I'd suggest a mixed protein, which would be whey, egg white, and casein. This you would use at any time other than PWO. Reason you want a mix is because all three proteins are digested at different rates, leaving you with a more steady flow of amino acids for hours.
  10. Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149921

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Protein sources should be from whole foods with the exception of the post-workout shake (and carbohydrates).

    ON Whey protein is a good 'cost-effective' whey protein. The whey protein you choose is a matter of preference for the most part, though I would stick to whey isolates. Whey protein powder such as Oryx Goat Whey, Pro-NOS, Nytrowhey, and GF-Pro are definitely good choices. I find casein to be of little value. Powder shakes are not meal replacements, so use them as what they are labelled as: supplements.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  11. e30Kat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    96

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Protein sources should be from whole foods with the exception of the post-workout shake (and carbohydrates).

    ON Whey protein is a good 'cost-effective' whey protein. The whey protein you choose is a matter of preference for the most part, though I would stick to whey isolates. Whey protein powder such as Oryx Goat Whey, Pro-NOS, Nytrowhey, and GF-Pro are definitely good choices. I find casein to be of little value. Powder shakes are not meal replacements, so use them as what they are labelled as: supplements.

    I could have quoted many of the responses, but since this forum doesnt have a multiquote button i'll just quote this last one for sake of time.

    I do not plan on replacing meals with shakes. I am trying to gain mass, so I dont see the point in doing that. I do plan on drinking at least 2 shakes in addition to at least 4 meals/day. Its hard to get all the meals in with my work schedule and the dosing schedule (having to be on empty stomach) but hey, working to build your body is never easy.


    So far it seems most have given good information, but sometimes it is hard to tell the knowlegable from the not so...I'm sure you know what i mean.


    Lastly, perhaps I should have rephrased my question so that it portrayed more of what i knew about different proteins. I pretty much copy/pasted the question from a response I got in another thread - after learning that it's such an in depth topic that it deserved its own thread. With that said, anybody have a linky to info about what exactly the different types of protein are? Didnt realize there were so many.

    edit: next poster please let me know if my avatar is working. thanks
  12. DaveGabe24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    9017

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by e30Kat View Post
    I could have quoted many of the responses, but since this forum doesnt have a multiquote button i'll just quote this last one for sake of time.

    I do not plan on replacing meals with shakes. I am trying to gain mass, so I dont see the point in doing that. I do plan on drinking at least 2 shakes in addition to at least 4 meals/day. Its hard to get all the meals in with my work schedule and the dosing schedule (having to be on empty stomach) but hey, working to build your body is never easy.


    So far it seems most have given good information, but sometimes it is hard to tell the knowlegable from the not so...I'm sure you know what i mean.


    Lastly, perhaps I should have rephrased my question so that it portrayed more of what i knew about different proteins. I pretty much copy/pasted the question from a response I got in another thread - after learning that it's such an in depth topic that it deserved its own thread. With that said, anybody have a linky to info about what exactly the different types of protein are? Didnt realize there were so many.

    edit: next poster please let me know if my avatar is working. thanks
    To give you a good idea of whey will be more ideal for you will depend on how long you're going to have between each meals. If you have no way, of getting food for like 5-7 hours then you're going to want some sort of MPI/Casein to prevent catabolism. However if you can eat every 3 hours or so, go with the whey. Then depending on what you can stomach, go with the different qualities. Personally I just a middle of the road whey and enjoy it.
  13. sumerian123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    21

    Reputation

    Hemp Protein - Best type of protein out there?


    I believe Hemp is the best type of protein out there. After being on whey for 2 years, it gave me results but also gave me an upset stomach and bloating. Then i tried soy but that just isnt recommended since it creates hormonal imbalances in both men and women (contains estrogen). Hemp is neutral, unprocessed (cold milled), has lots of benefits, fibre, and it makes my muscle mass last a lot longer. Check out: gonjaprotein [dot] com. I usually get their organic stuff.It has helped me burn fat and just concentrate on bulking up. I rockclimb, weight train, kickbox, etc. height 6'0, weight 203 lbs of pure muscle.
  14. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,208
    Rep Power
    3370563

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by e30Kat View Post
    I could have quoted many of the responses, but since this forum doesnt have a multiquote button i'll just quote this last one for sake of time.

    I do not plan on replacing meals with shakes. I am trying to gain mass, so I dont see the point in doing that. I do plan on drinking at least 2 shakes in addition to at least 4 meals/day. Its hard to get all the meals in with my work schedule and the dosing schedule (having to be on empty stomach) but hey, working to build your body is never easy.


    So far it seems most have given good information, but sometimes it is hard to tell the knowlegable from the not so...I'm sure you know what i mean.


    Lastly, perhaps I should have rephrased my question so that it portrayed more of what i knew about different proteins. I pretty much copy/pasted the question from a response I got in another thread - after learning that it's such an in depth topic that it deserved its own thread. With that said, anybody have a linky to info about what exactly the different types of protein are? Didnt realize there were so many.

    edit: next poster please let me know if my avatar is working. thanks
    this thread is loaded with some um, questionable theories. You WILL NOT turn overly catabolic (you may of course become catabolic during a workout, which you want) in one day so you do not need a slow or fast digesting protein as you will have enough substrate in the amino acid pool in which your body can draw from provided caloric needs are met.

    The differing protein sources will not make a huge difference in regards to "dirty" and lean bulking; this is attributed to how much over calorie maintainence you will go.

    In short, go with Whey; its more cost effective and does the job.
  15. Luke_PNI's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    308141

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    100% Isolates are very lean. You can find some that have 0 carbs, 0 sugars and 0 fats with a good amount of protein. I know that Syntrax Nectar and VPX SRO are good choices for a protein powder that is very lean that I use during a prep for a show.
    Broser Built Athlete www.broserbuilt.com
  16. madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98805

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    A lean bulk is about your caloric intake, not what supplements you use.

    That being said, a MPI/Egg combo would be my choice.
    Exactly! I was just about to say this....
    Egg is fine. Whey, casein, isolate, etc. All are good. Unless your trying to compete i wouldnt worry about what kind of protein.... only watch out for carbs sugar and fats in your shakes... sometimes they fool yah.

    As long as your eating right and working out hardcore. You shouldnt have to worry about what protein shake is good enough. Just get something delicious that way you feel like your cheating but your not.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Does the type of whey protein u take really matter???
    By viking805fan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 02:24 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
  4. Why a casein/whey protein combo is the best for growth
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
  5. Whey or casein for post workout protein shake?
    By Rostam in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in