Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna Bark)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Arjuna or Terminalia arjuna is a unique herb that helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness. Arjuna promotes effective cardiac functioning and regulates blood pressure. Arjuna has been the herb of choice in Ayurveda for cardiovascular health. Arjuna's ability to suppress the blood's absorption of lipids indicates that it has cholesterol-regulating properties. Its principle constituents are §-sitosterol, ellagic acid and arjunic acid.

The bark of Arjuna is useful as an anti-ischemic and cardioprotective agent in hypertension and in ischemic heart disease, especially in disturbed cardiac rhythm, angina or myocardial infarction. The bark powder possesses diuretic and a general tonic effect in cases of cirrhosis of the liver, in addition to prostaglandin enhancing and coronary risk factor modulating properties. It induces a drug-dependent decrease in blood pressure and heart rate.

Recent studies have investigated the mechanism of this activity and have shown a dose-dependent regulation of blood pressure and heart rate. There was also a slight increase in the HDL-to-total cholesterol ratio and an overall improvement in the cardiovascular profile. The bark of Arjuna inhibits the oxidation of LDL and accelerates the turnover of LDL-cholesterol in liver. This enhances the elimination of cholesterol from the body. The suppression of hepatic cholesterol biosynthesis by Terminalia arjuna is the mechanism responsible for a significant lowering of beta-lipoprotein lipids and the recovery of HDL components in hyperlipidemia. In a study on the efficacy of the bark powder in treating congestive cardiac failure (CCF), over 40% of the cases showed marked improvement. CCF due to congenital anomaly of heart and valve disease was also brought under control. 4 out of 9 cases of CCF due to chronic bronchitis were also relieved by the treatment. Arjuna is also known to relieve symptomatic complaints of essential hypertension viz. giddiness, insomnia, lassitude, headache and the inability to concentrate. Oral administration of an aqueous suspension of the bark powder reduces coagulation, bleeding and prothrombin time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jacob, have you been whispering bedside secrets to B?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can be innovative too...you know :rasp: :D

Actually I came up with this in my research. A friend referred me. Sounds very promising for both hypertension as well as HDL. Will be doing a trial here in a few weeks.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I failed to mention that I have a field in my backyard that is being cleared at this moment by migrant workers for my crop to be planted and grown.

Then I will be recruiting the expertise of an Ayurveda agriculturalist guru and his ancient harvesting techniques to capture the herb at its richest state prior to using his ancient and secret Ayurveda extraction process.

Actually you can read more about this and my other adventures in my autobiographical soon to be screenplay adventure novel. I embellish a bit but thats what makes it a blockbuster adventure.

Early casting calls has Robert Downey Jr and Bruce Willis reading script for the lead character, myself.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, My autobiog., was aptly titled:

Business in the Front, Party in the Back: The Excesses of a Mullet.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have Arjuna listed in my supplement protocol in my training journal. It was supposed to be part of it form the get go but I neglected to just get it from the e-tailer that had it and searched for an alternate brick and mortar for a sample. Well suffice is to say that I broke down and picked it up from an e-tailer that carried it.

Before taking it I was not hypertensive but stress and underlying issues of stress like a toxic work environment and conditions, blended family issues, home remodel, oh, and did I mention stress, caused me to be mildly elevated in BP and RHR.

The traditional or recommended dose as per label recommendation is 1 tab - 550mg BD (Terminalia arjuna Bark 500mg - Terminalia arjuna Bark Extract (standardized 10:1 extract) 50mg).

I started out just about 2 weeks ago with a front loaded double dose of 2 tabs BD. Withing the first week to ten days I have experienced a soothing and calming effect that is rather pronounced. There is a relief to the 'pressure' between my temples and an overall feeling of the clamp of stress being taken from my head and neck. My RHR has drop back down 8-10point to a normal 60-62 bpm.

I must say that I am very happy that I discovered this product and look forward to continued use. Much more effective than hawthorn berry for BP and also is toted to improve lipids as well as a few other health benefits.

Just thought I would share.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I have Arjuna listed in my supplement protocol in my training journal. It was supposed to be part of it form the get go but I neglected to just get it from the e-tailer that had it and searched for an alternate brick and mortar for a sample. Well suffice is to say that I broke down and picked it up from an e-tailer that carried it.

Before taking it I was not hypertensive but stress and underlying issues of stress like a toxic work environment and conditions, blended family issues, home remodel, oh, and did I mention stress, caused me to be mildly elevated in BP and RHR.

The traditional or recommended dose as per label recommendation is 1 tab - 550mg BD (Terminalia arjuna Bark 500mg - Terminalia arjuna Bark Extract (standardized 10:1 extract) 50mg).

I started out just about 2 weeks ago with a front loaded double dose of 2 tabs BD. Withing the first week to ten days I have experienced a soothing and calming effect that is rather pronounced. There is a relief to the 'pressure' between my temples and an overall feeling of the clamp of stress being taken from my head and neck. My RHR has drop back down 8-10point to a normal 60-62 bpm.

I must say that I am very happy that I discovered this product and look forward to continued use. Much more effective than hawthorn berry for BP and also is toted to improve lipids as well as a few other health benefits.

Just thought I would share.

Much appreciated... have you ever used C-12 peptide?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No I have not. Not familiar with it.

I will note that Arjuna is very inexpensive as well.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
b5150,
first off loving the avatar,
second the dosages are as followed 550mg (Terminalia arjuna Bark 500mg - Terminalia arjuna Bark Extract (standardized 10:1 extract) 50mg). im gonna see if VS carries this seems like it would be an awesome support supp to have while ON

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At my age and the life stresses that come with work and a family I had the desire to find something that I could run year round to keep low the things that tend to elevate, even naturally, with age.

My BP had become slightly higher than my normal. 130/80 or so, which is still not hypertensive by any means but something that I noticed physically. I am usually at 120/70 when unconditioned and even as low as 110/60 when well conditioned.

My RHR had been elevated to about 70-72 BPM. Still very normal but about 10-12BPM higher than my unconditioned RHR of about 60BPM and when well conditioned 50-55BPM.

I had been trying a popular "all in one" product with hawthorn but they have still have failed to carry it in bulk and it is just not cost effective. This lead me to research and find that Arjuna is hands down better than hawthorn anyway.

So now I use Arjuna and my anti-o's just like before. Still cheaper and even better.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
B - so you grow this stuff? Or did you find someone that has a capped version?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like something that I need to try as well.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Arjuna also offers some pretty significant liver protection. I was chatting with Dr D about this herb a couple of years ago because it seems like a boon for BBers..ie cardio and hepatic protection.

Anywho, I have used it for a while and it did seem to increase my cardio efficiency a bit.

I find a mix of holy basil and relora to be the most de-stressing herbs I have tried yet.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Arjuna also offers some pretty significant liver protection. I was chatting with Dr D about this herb a couple of years ago because it seems like a boon for BBers..ie cardio and hepatic protection.

Anywho, I have used it for a while and it did seem to increase my cardio efficiency a bit.
You are correct sir. I feel this is one of my better discoveries. Of course I did not discover it ;)

Arjuna benefit for heart
Over the years, several studies have been done with Arjuna. Here's a summary of some of the studies. You can find the abstracts at the bottom of this page.

Arjuna has been tested in patients with angina. Arjuna dilates blood vessels, even in cigarette smokers.
Arjunolic acid, a new triterpene and a potent extract from the bark of Terminalia arjuna, has been shown to provide significant cardiac protection in myocardial necrosis in rats. Arjunolic acid treatment prevents the decrease in the levels of powerful antioxidants such as superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione, alpha-tocopherol, and ascorbic acid.

Additional actions of arjuna herb
Arjuna has compounds that protect against DNA damage from toxins.
Compounds in Arjuna may help maintain healthy cholesterol.
A substance in Arjuna, casuarinin, inhibits breast cancer cell growth in laboratory studies.

Arjuna Terminalia Research Update
Effects of Terminalia arjuna bark extract on apoptosis of human hepatoma cell line HepG2.
World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Feb 21;12(7):1018-24.
AIM: To investigate the effects of Terminalia arjuna (T. arjuna) extract on human hepatoma cell line (HepG2) and its possible role in induction of apoptosis. T. arjuna induced cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells in vitro. Apoptosis of HepG2 cells may be due to the DNA damage and expression of apoptotic proteins. Depletion of GSH may be involved in the induction of apoptosis of HepG2 cells.

Antioxidant activity of Terminalia arjuna bark extract on N-nitrosodiethylamine induced hepatocellular carcinoma in rats.
Mol Cell Biochem. 2006 Jan;281(1-2):87-93. Sivalokanathan S, Ilayaraja M, Balasubramanian MP.
Department of Pharmacology and Environmental Toxicology, Dr. ALM Post-Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
The present investigation was carried out to evaluate the antioxidant nature of ethanolic extract of Terminalia arjuna bark on N-nitrosodiethylamine (DEN) induced liver cancer in male Wistar albino rats. Our results show an antioxidant activity of T. arjuna bark against DEN-induced liver cancer.

Role of Terminalia arjuna in ischaemic mitral regurgitation.
Int J Cardiol. 2005 Apr 28;100(3):507-8. Dwivedi S, Aggarwal A, Agarwal MP, Rajpal S.
The bark powder of Terminalia arjuna, an indigenous plant has been found to have antianginal, decongestive and hypolipidemic effect. We planned a study to evaluate the role of T. arjuna in ischemic mitral regurgitation (IMR) following acute myocardial infarction (AMI). 40 patients with fresh AMI showing IMR were randomly divided into 2 groups of 20 each. They were given placebo or 500 mg of T. arjuna in addition to anti-ischemic treatment. After 1 and 3 months of follow up, patients receiving adjuvant T. arjuna showed significant decrease in IMR, improvement in E/A ratio and considerable reduction in anginal frequency.

Casuarinin from the Bark of Terminalia arjuna Induces Apoptosis and Cell Cycle Arrest in Human Breast Adenocarcinoma MCF-7 Cells.
Planta Med. 2005 Mar;71(3):237-43.
Casuarinin, a hydrolyzable tannin isolated from the bark of Terminalia arjuna L. (Combretaceae), was investigated for its antiproliferative activity in human breast adenocarcinoma MCF-7 cells. The results showed that casuarinin from arjuna inhibited the proliferation of MCF-7 by blocking cell cycle progression in the G0/G1 phase and inducing apoptosis. Our study reports here for the first time that the induction of p21/WAF1 and the activity of Fas/Fas ligand apoptotic system may participate in the antiproliferative activity of casuarinin in MCF-7 cells.

Terminalia arjuna (Roxb.) protects rabbit heart against ischemic-reperfusion injury: role of antioxidant enzymes and heat shock protein.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 Jan 15;96(3):403-9.
The bark of Terminalia arjuna Roxb. is widely recommended for the treatment of ischemic heart disease (IHD) in Indian system of medicine. Oral administration of Terminalia arjuna for 12 weeks in rabbits caused augmentation of myocardial antioxidants; superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione (GSH) along with induction of heat shock protein72 (HSP72). In vivo ischemic-reperfusion injury induced oxidative stress, tissue injury of heart and haemodynamic effects were prevented in the Terminalia arjuna treated rabbit hearts. The study provides scientific basis for the putative therapeutic effect of Terminalia arjuna in ischemic heart disease.

Terminalia arjuna reverses impaired endothelial function in chronic smokers.
Indian Heart J. 2004 Mar-Apr;56(2):123-8.
Smoking, largely through increased oxidative stress, causes endothelial dysfunction which is an early key event in atherosclerosis. The present study was aimed to determine whether Terminalia arjuna, an Indian medicinal plant with potent antioxidant constituents, would improve endothelial dysfunction in smokers. Eighteen healthy male smokers and equal number of age-matched non-smoker controls participated in the study. The baseline brachial artery reactivity studies were performed to determine endothelium-dependent, flow-mediated dilation and endothelium-independent nitroglycerine-mediated dilation. Subsequently the smokers were given Terminalia arjuna (500 mg q8h) or matching placebo randomly in a double blind cross-over design for two weeks each, followed by repetition of brachial artery reactivity studies. There was no significant difference as regards vessel diameter and flow velocities between the two therapies. However, the flow-mediated dilation showed significant improvement from baseline values after Terrminalia arjuna therapy but not with placebo. CONCLUSIONS: Smokers have impaired endothelium-dependent but normal endothelium-independent vasodilation as determined by brachial artery reactivity studies. Further, Terrminalia arjuna therapy for two weeks leads to significant regression of this endothelial abnormality amongst smokers.

Cardioprotective effect of the alcoholic extract of Terminalia arjuna bark in an in vivo model of myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury.
Life Sci. 2003 Oct 10;73(21):2727-39.
The present study was designed to investigate the effects of chronic administration of the alcoholic extract of Terminalia arjuna bark on isoproterenol induced myocardial injury. The arjuna was administered orally to Wistar albino rats 6 days/week for 4 weeks. At the end of this period, all the animals, except the normal untreated rats that served as the control group, were administered isoproterenol for two consecutive days to induce in vivo myocardial injury. A significant rise in myocardial thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and loss of reduced glutathione (GSH), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (suggestive of increased oxidative stress) occurred in the hearts subjected to in vivo myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury. In in vivo ischemic reperfusion injury of the arjuna treated rats there was a significant decrease in TBARS in all the groups. The present study demonstrates that arjuna augments endogenous antioxidant compounds of the rat heart and also prevents the myocardium from isoproterenol induced myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury.

A novel naphthanol glycoside from Terminalia arjuna with antioxidant and nitric oxide inhibitory activities.
Pharmazie. 2003 Dec;58(12):932-4.
A novel naphthanol glycoside, arjunaphthanoloside (1), was isolated from the stem bark of Terminalia arjuna and showed potent antioxidant activity.

Possible mechanisms of hypotension produced 70% alcoholic extract of Terminalia arjuna in anaesthetized dogs.
BMC Complement Altern Med. 2003 Oct 16;3(1):5.
The bark of Terminalia arjuna is used in Ayurveda since ancient times for the treatment of cardiac disorders. Previous laboratory investigations have demonstrated the use of the arjuna bark in cardiovascular complications. The present study was aimed to find the effect of 70% alcoholic extract of Terminalia arjuna on anaesthetized dog blood pressure and probable site of action. Six dogs were anaesthetized and the blood pressure of each dog was measured. The extract of arjuna (dissolved in propylene glycol) in the dose range of 5 to 15 mg/kg were administered intravenously in a pilot study and the dose (6 mg/kg) which produced appreciable hypotension was selected for further studies. RESULTS: Intravenous administration of arjuna produced dose-dependent hypotension in anaesthetized dogs. The results indicated the likely involvement of peripheral mechanism for hypotension produced by the 70% alcoholic extract of Terminalia arjuna and lends support for the claims of its traditional usage in cardiovascular disorders.

Antimutagenic activities of acetone and methanol fractions of Terminalia arjuna.
Food Chem Toxicol. 2002 Oct;40(10):1475-82.

Efficacy of Terminalia arjuna in chronic stable angina: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study comparing Terminalia arjuna with isosorbide mononitrate.
Indian Heart J. 2002 Mar-Apr;54(2):170-5.
Terminalia arjuna, an Indian medicinal plant, has been reported to have beneficial effects in patients with ischemic heart disease in a number of small, open studies. The need for a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study with adequate sample size has long been felt. The arjuna bark extract contains acids (arjunic acid, terminic acid), glycosides (arjunetin arjunosides), strong antioxidants (flavones, tannins, oligomeric proanthocyanidins), minerals. etc. and exhibits anti-ischemic properties. Fifty-eight males with chronic stable angina (NYHA class II-III) with evidence of provocable ischemia on treadmill exercise test received Terminalia arjuna (500 mg 8 hourly), isosorbide mononitrate (40 mg/daily) or a matching placebo for one week each, separated by a wash-out period of at least three days in a randomized, double-blind, crossover design. They underwent clinical, biochemical and treadmill exercise evaluation at the end of each therapy which were compared during the three therapy periods. Terminalia arjuna therapy was associated with significant decrease in the frequency of angina and need for isosorbide dinitrate. The treadmill exercise test parameters improved significantly during therapy with arjuna compared to those with placebo. The total duration of exercise increased, maximal ST depression during the longest equivalent stages of submaximal exercise decreased , time to recovery decreased, and higher double products were achieved during arjuna therapy. Similar improvements in clinical and treadmill exercise test parameters were observed with isosorbide mononitrate compared to placebo therapy. No significant differences were observed in clinical or treadmill exercise test parameters when arjuna and isosorbide mononitrate therapies were compared. No significant untoward effects were reported during arjuna therapy. Terminalia arjuna bark extract, 500 mg 8 hourly, given to patients with stable angina with provocable ischemia on treadmill exercise, led to improvement in clinical and treadmill exercise parameters as compared to placebo therapy. These benefits were similar to those observed with isosorbide mononitrate (40 mg/day) therapy and the extract was well tolerated. Limitations of this study include applicability of the results to only men with chronic stable angina but not necessarily to women, as they were not studied.

Antioxidant and hypocholesterolaemic effects of Terminalia arjuna tree-bark powder: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.
J Assoc Physicians India. 2001 Feb;49:231-5.
To evaluate the antioxidant and hypocholesterolemic effects of Terminalia arjuna tree bark (a popular cardiotonic substance in Indian pharmacopoeia) and to compare it with a known antioxidant, vitamin E, we performed a randomized controlled trial. One hundred and five successive patients with coronary heart disease presenting to our centre were recruited and divided into 3 groups of 35 each. None of the patients was on lipid-lowering drugs. Supplemental vitamins were stopped for one month before study began and American Heart Association Step II dietary advice was given to all. At baseline, total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL and LDL cholesterol and lipid peroxide estimated as thiobarbituric acid reactive substances were determined. Group I received placebo capsules; Group II vitamin E capsules 400 units/day; and Group III received finely pulverized arjuna tree bark-powder (500 mg) in capsules daily. Lipids and lipid peroxide levels were determined at 30 days follow-up. Response rate in various groups varied from 86% to 91%. No significant changes in total, HDL, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides levels were seen in Groups I and II. In Group III there was a significant decrease in total cholesterol, and LDL cholesterol. Lipid peroxide levels decreased significantly in both the treatment groups. This decrease was more in vitamin E group as compared to the arjuna group. Terminalia arjuna tree bark powder has significant antioxidant action that is comparable to vitamin E. In addition, it also has a significant hypocholesterolaemic effect.

Antigenotoxic properties of Terminalia arjuna bark extracts.
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 1999;18(2):119-25.
Compounds possessing antimutagenic properties (polyphenols, tannins, vitamins, etc.) have been identified in fruits, vegetables, spices, and medicinal plants. Terminalia arjuna (Combretaceae), a tropical woody tree occurring throughout India and known locally as Kumbuk, is a medicinal plant rich in tannins and triterpenes that is used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine as a cardiac tonic. The aim of the present collaborative work was to test six solvent extracts from the bark of Terminalia arjuna for antigenotoxic activity using in vitro short-term tests. Terminalia arjuna extracts were obtained by sequential extraction using acetone, methanol, methanol + HCl, chloroform, ethyl acetate, and ethyl ether.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
To the extent Arjuna dilates blood vessels, might it have erection-related benefits as well?

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I am going to get some of this. Thanks B

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Updates?

Great Find B!

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the common dosage if you use plain powder? Capsules are about 3@500mg, however on several sites it states to use 3-6 grams if using the powder which is four times as much at maximum dose. Anyone has an idea why there is a difference between capsules and powder? Should be the same thing?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
What is the common dosage if you use plain powder? Capsules are about 3@500mg, however on several sites it states to use 3-6 grams if using the powder which is four times as much at maximum dose. Anyone has an idea why there is a difference between capsules and powder? Should be the same thing?
Mine are an extract, standardized to 0.5% Arjunolic Acid, so that's why the 500mg. If you were taking crushed up bark, it makes sense you'd need a lot more. Just like 20:1 Maca versus crushed Maca Root dosing.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mine are an extract, standardized to 0.5% Arjunolic Acid, so that's why the 500mg. If you were taking crushed up bark, it makes sense you'd need a lot more. Just like 20:1 Maca versus crushed Maca Root dosing.
Ok, so no way to know how much to take if it is non standardized powder? The capsules I am referring to actually do not indicate a standardization either and are the same brand as the powder. I sent a mail, still waiting for an answer. Anyone has a clue about the dosage for non standardized powder. I am taking 3g as tea at the moment. After how much time should you feel the effects?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Did you source an aqueous extract? Or using a certain stores homebrand?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Nah, just went with the guys from North Dakota and called it a day.
Same. Couldnt find a legit aqueous ex for the life of me. Have you looked through the many animal and few human studies? Bit vague as to the precise extract, but the ones Im particularly interested in do say aqueous was used *shrug*

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Same. Couldnt find a legit aqueous ex for the life of me. Have you looked through the many animal and few human studies? Bit vague as to the precise extract, but the ones Im particularly interested in do say aqueous was used *shrug*
Just read some DavidDunn stuff and saw it was like $3 on sale. I'm pretty sure the ancient Indian Ayurveda'ists were just using bark, so I figure the caps are good enough for me :D I did see where it said water was good, alcohol sucked, but I don't have the time to get that involved these days :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see one extract powder with a COA that says extracted by: water. It's a 10:1 extract.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SUB'd

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Having trouble deciphering this one.
Sometimes I get spanked for even thinking about a non-sponsor... sometimes it seems anything goes... so I don't know :D Hopefully, since the *only* place I've seen Arjuna even offered is from non-sponsors, this will fly:

Swanson's

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes I get spanked for even thinking about a non-sponsor... sometimes it seems anything goes... so I don't know :D Hopefully, since the *only* place I've seen Arjuna even offered is from non-sponsors, this will fly:

Swanson's
I just throw a tablespoon in a shake or a green smoothie. How do you usually take it?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I just throw a tablespoon in a shake or a green smoothie. How do you usually take it?
I get the Caps and take 3/Day, evenly split. That's 1500mg of 0.5% Arjunolic Acid, or 7.5mg total.