Vitamin timing and how to take

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
I have a few questions I am looking for direction on.

I have stomach issues which I beleive the prilosec screwed up some of my blood test numbers.

Sincing taking the prilosec I have become low in

iron - 44 ug/dl (65-175)
ferritin - 10ng/ml (24-336)

Also my endo Dr. told me I was low in vit. d so here are my questions.

Iron - I am suppose to take 325mg 2x/day. I am going to start with 325mg/day for a while. I read to take with vit. c to help absorb.

How, when and with what do I take these:
Multi with no irion
Iron 325mg
vit. c 500mg
Vit D

Can I take all these at the same time or do I need to take them separate from multi.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
325mg of Iron? The RDA is 18mg so that's over 18 times which seems like a bad idea given how iron can accumulate in the system. I believe Vit C can increase absorption of most elemental metals so perhaps combine the two. I would probably take them separately from the multi. Also with Vit D it should be the d3 form cholecalciterol. There's some debate on whether you should supplement with k2 as well.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
325mg of Iron? The RDA is 18mg so that's over 18 times which seems like a bad idea given how iron can accumulate in the system.
Thats what I first thought about too, and its going to be X2/day. Thats a lot of Iron your Dr has you on man. Maybe the Dr is going at it by relying on Iron not being absorbed well in pill form? Idk. Not that I know anything about low Iron levels or treatment of it, it just seems like a lot of Iron to take.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a few questions I am looking for direction on.

I have stomach issues which I beleive the prilosec screwed up some of my blood test numbers.

Sincing taking the prilosec I have become low in

iron - 44 ug/dl (65-175)
ferritin - 10ng/ml (24-336)

Also my endo Dr. told me I was low in vit. d so here are my questions.

Iron - I am suppose to take 325mg 2x/day. I am going to start with 325mg/day for a while. I read to take with vit. c to help absorb.

How, when and with what do I take these:
Multi with no irion
Iron 325mg
vit. c 500mg
Vit D

Can I take all these at the same time or do I need to take them separate from multi.
Do you have peptic/duodenal ulcers?

Proton pump inhibitiors such as prilosec, aciphex, prevacid, nexium, and protonix have been known to decrease iron absorbtion within the G.I. tract significantly. Gastric acid actually enhances the uptake of iron, so when it's lowered it can significantly inhibit this mechanism.

It is recommended to take Iron 325mg/day for a deficiency like you've posted. Especially in those with prior G.I. bleeding issues(ulcers) and who are taking proton pump inhibitors.

Vitamin D has recently been found to have SO many great benefits overall. That's why PMD's are now pushing to keep you level in the 40-50ng/ml range. Vitamin D is a fat soluable vitamin so take it with a meal.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take my vitamin D around `noon, to mimic when the most intense sunlight we would normally be exposed to were we not "civilized" and dwelling in concrete caves for the most productive parts of the day.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Great post all, thanks.

I am going to see a stomach Dr. for a scope. I had a mri of my stomach which came back fine but my stomach pains, gut ache is pretty bad.

My Dr. started me off with just prilosec. I worked ok but stomach got worse and actually the pain or feeling changed somewhat so they added sucralfate 1gm 3x/day. Its a pill u drop in water and it disovles then drink it. I guess it coats your stomach and help ulcers heal.

I havent read anything about sucralfate causing iron deficiancies. All I know is I started taking prilosec late feb. and my last 2 blood tests my ferritin and iron have dropped big time.

I have high hemoglobin so Ihave been advised to stay away from iron because of it but my hemoglobin has dropped also so I guess the iron is safe to take now.

I agree that the scribed dose for iron is high but Im not taking it to keep my levels healthy Im taking it because I have major fatigue feeling, tired all the time so thus they did a blood test to check those and thyroid.

My thoughts are this:

AM - Multi

Mid morn - 325mg iron + 500mg vit. c with food

Lunch - 400mg vit. d with food

I stopped taking the prilosec since the blood test and reading how it can cause low iron issues.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO, Up the vitamin D several fold.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Really, I am suppose to take 400mg 2x/day but have been doing just 400mg. Can you give more info on benefit of vit. d. To be honest I dont even know what having low vit. d means, why I all of a sudden mine got low and what are sides from low d.

Thanks for imput.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really, I am suppose to take 400mg 2x/day but have been doing just 400mg. Can you give more info on benefit of vit. d. To be honest I dont even know what having low vit. d means, why I all of a sudden mine got low and what are sides from low d.

Thanks for imput.
Mostly fatigue. Vitamin D is extremely important in hormonal milieu and bone health, and without proper levels you will not function anywhere NEAR optimally.

Look at cultures that are near the equator, that run around relatively unclothed - then compare their physical characteristics to those cultures higher north, that spend much of their time covered up and indoors.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with icreasing the vitamin D. I take 1000-2000 IU/day, and i live in florida. The benefits they are finding especially in cancer prevention are absolutely astounding.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Cool stuff. Hey I'm all for the healthier the better and if I can do that and get my energy back, that would be sweet.

So I guess I will up the D to 400mg 2x/day as Dr. told me to.

Thoughts on taking the iron at the Dr. requested amount. He wants me on 325mg 2x per day. I was only going to go as high as 325 1x/day and see how my next BT comes out in June

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cool stuff. Hey I'm all for the healthier the better and if I can do that and get my energy back, that would be sweet.

So I guess I will up the D to 400mg 2x/day as Dr. told me to.

Thoughts on taking the iron at the Dr. requested amount. He wants me on 325mg 2x per day. I was only going to go as high as 325 1x/day and see how my next BT comes out in June
Given the fact of inhibited iron absorbtion with proton pump inhibitors, i'd abide by his suggestion. Your body also absorbs less iron anyway when your endogenous levels are sufficient. Only in circumstances such as hemochromatosis does it become an issue because the body lacks the mechanism of controling absorbed iron.

Here's a good read for you to look over:

Iron

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So im curious about the Vitamin D IU to mg conversion. I usually take 2000IU a day, but I have no idea how many mg that is. And now Im reading a source citing, 2000IU = 50mcg. Does that sound right to anybody?
Pretty sure it depends on the compound.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So im curious about the Vitamin D IU to mg conversion. I usually take 2000IU a day, but I have no idea how many mg that is. And now Im reading a source citing, 2000IU = 50mcg. Does that sound right to anybody?
IU is a unit of measurement of the active compounds mass. The fat soluable vitamins A,D,E are all measured in IU, not in mg. I think he may have gotten this confused when he said 400mg 2xday. Calcium is often supplemented with vitamin D due to enhanced absorbtion and that is measured in mg dosing.

This measurement is used mainly with vitamins/minerals and some medications. The measurement of IU is not easily compared to milligrams, since it depends on the particular substance. IU for each compound is different. For example, 1 IU for Vitamin A is not the same as for Vitamin D. It actually can be pretty confusing.

Here's a good break down to read about Vitamin D overall:

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D