Cortico Steroids

kevinm6571

kevinm6571

Awards
Anyone have experience with them? I have to take two a day, low doses, but nonetheless. Prednisone and Fludrocortisone for a medical condition - 5mg and .01mg respectively. As they are muscle wasters, does anyone have any advice on building mass while on these. For anyone who doesnt know, these steroids are not anabolic, they breakdown protein for energy.
Thanks!:frustrate

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
How long are you on them? Are you taking IV or oral?

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
They are oral. Fludrocortisone is a mineralocorticoid and prednisone is a glucocorticoid. If you are taking these for Addison's disease then it is because your adrenal glands are not producing enough so these are meant as replacement. If your dosing is correct then they should not affect your ability to add muscle since they are just normalizing your corticosteroid levels.

kevinm6571

kevinm6571

Awards
Thanks Seth

I am taking them for Addison's Disease since I was 19, now 36. They are oral and the dose has never changed. My GP did suggest at one point that they may be able to change my medication for this but nothing was ever done. So you think that I should have no problem? What about with supplements that are "anabolic, anti catabolic"?
Thanks!!

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
I am taking them for Addison's Disease since I was 19, now 36. They are oral and the dose has never changed. My GP did suggest at one point that they may be able to change my medication for this but nothing was ever done. So you think that I should have no problem? What about with supplements that are "anabolic, anti catabolic"?
Thanks!!
I would be very careful which supplements you take and even discuss them with your endo since you have a special condition. Many Endos do not consider prednisone to be necessary except during times of stress since fludrocortisone has some glucocorticoid effects. You might want to discuss that possibility with him/her

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
They are oral. Fludrocortisone is a mineralocorticoid and prednisone is a glucocorticoid. If you are taking these for Addison's disease then it is because your adrenal glands are not producing enough so these are meant as replacement. If your dosing is correct then they should not affect your ability to add muscle since they are just normalizing your corticosteroid levels.

Pretty close to what I was going to say. I did a round of IV cortico's for about a month because of a bout of swelling behind my eye.....Didn't notice any problems on that short duration. I would imagine that your treatment is more long term however. The only thing I would tell you to do is watch your salt intake as corticosteroids can lead to quite a bit of fluid retention.

kevinm6571

kevinm6571

Awards
Salt Intake and Supplements

True, my salt intake is probably high as one of the side effects is a "salt craving" - Sux!
I have bought in the past the Mass Cycle but wound up selling it due to the anabolic/anticatabolic compound. Did not want to F things up. So now my supplements are really limited to L-Dopa in the morning and after working out, No-Xplode prior to working out, Animal Pack after lunch, and ZMA before bed. Nothing too extreme except for the NoXplode and I try to keep that to a relatively small dose. I have put on decent size in the past two years as I have gone from 155lbs or so to my current weight hovering around 180lbs.
After posting some items i think I will concentrate on diet primarily and try to hit 4000-4500 cals per day in the 50-30-20 ratio.
Thanks!

kevinm6571

kevinm6571

Awards
Seth,
You seem very knowledgeable on this matter. Are you in the medical field? Addissons Disease is pretty rare (1 in 100,000 people or so).
Kevin

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Seth,
You seem very knowledgeable on this matter. Are you in the medical field? Addissons Disease is pretty rare (1 in 100,000 people or so).
Kevin
I worked for 10+ years in pharmaceutical research and as a consultant in nutritional supps for the past 4+ years.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone have experience with them? I have to take two a day, low doses, but nonetheless. Prednisone and Fludrocortisone for a medical condition - 5mg and .01mg respectively. As they are muscle wasters, does anyone have any advice on building mass while on these. For anyone who doesnt know, these steroids are not anabolic, they breakdown protein for energy.
Thanks!:frustrate
Low dose corticoid therapy for your condition should not significantly effect your ability to build muscle. Treatment for addisons disease is designed to provide the smallest amount of corticoid replacement to get the job done preventing addisonian crisis and fluid/electrolyte imbalances.

I would however dicuss any supplementation with your endocrinologist as already recommended.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Are you currently working with any supplement companies?
Not at the moment. I am very good friends with the owners of LG Sciences and still provide advice, but i haven't workedfor them in >6 months.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Low dose corticoid therapy for your condition should not significantly effect your ability to build muscle. Treatment for addisons disease is designed to provide the smallest amount of corticoid replacement to get the job done preventing addisonian crisis and fluid/electrolyte imbalances.

I would however dicuss any supplementation with your endocrinologist as already recommended.
I agree with this. I took some corticosteriods about a month back, short term nonetheless, but saw no effect on ability to build muscle or drop fat. I was a bit more careful with carbs though because I think I had a bit of an increased appetite.

I have a patient with addison's and fibromyalgia. It's hard to find concrete Addison's info for maintenance care, where most seems to focus on aggressive pharmacology.