loss of apetite after PW shake

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
So i dont know what it is but i usually get in my shake about 15 minutes after my workout. Then i wait about an hour to get my big carb and protein meal. BUT after an hour my stomach starts to like hurt, not a nauseous feeling, but it just hurts. And i can hardly eat anything. I've had this for a very long time and i believe it's just from whey protein. Do you guys have any idea what it is?

I take about 40g of whey protein usually with a banana and milk.

Today i only took in about 20g of whey to see if that helped out a little with a banana and juice. (out of milk just figured i'd get in some more simple carbs anyways) Right now it doesn't hurt but i'm waiting till 3 which will be an hour after my workout.

Does anybody know what this is from or had previous experience with this. I dont mind the pain no big deal, but the loss of appetite is what's bugging me.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Do you have any high dairy containing (or more specific any lactose containing) meals during the rest of the day? If you notice significant decrease in the symptoms today you may have some issues with lactose (since you mentioned you dropped the milk today since you were out of it).

Also what type and brand of protein powder are you currently using?

Aside from that my only other idea would potential be a disturbance from training (i.e your body is still recuperating a bit from intense exercise and hasn't fully regained full digestive capacity and the immediate food intake is causing the pain). Although unlikely, for some reason it came to mind.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
def may be the protein. ON whey tends to upset my stomach.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
OCC i honestly dont even know what brand i'm on but i figured it was irrelevant because it happens with me no matter which brand of whey protein i'm on. I just ate a big meal with no problem at all though so i'm not sure which one it could be cause i cut down the protein and the milk. hmmm.... haha.

You think maybe i should try to wait a little longer after my workout to get the shake? I think i read that the peak of protein synthesis is 15 PW in your metabolic phase but should i maybe wait 30 minutes or something?

I usually try to get milk in the morning, after my w/o and at night just for some extra cals and casein protein.

So no i dont usually have too much lactose in my diet. Unless what i just listed seems to be a lot of lactose haha.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I would say first try without milk and see how you feel, I always get an upset stomach when I drink milk and protein together but either of them separate I am fine. Next consider taking a digestive enzyme with the shake and see if that helps, or try some probiotics. Also try drinking a couple cups of water right after the shake to help with digestion.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I would personally suggest just toying with your scheme. Since you noted a decrease in the fullness and pain today, and you decreased both protein and milk intake, just adjust each accordingly until you find your sweet spot.

You could also push back your shake a bit as well to see if this offers any relief. Don't be afraid of every minuet after your workout to get in your shake. I presume you are taking in a pre workout meal? That meal will have lingering nutritional effects and lap over into your post workout shake (unless your workout is exceedingly long) and will allow you to push your shake back a bit.

If your taking in milk the rest of the day I would say lactose issues are not the cause.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to remember the water after the shake. I'm sure that would help a little. It just feels like my body is like having a hard time digesting the shake i guess you could say and that there's like a thick coating in my stomach that hurts. Whether that is crazy talk or not i dont know. But that's just what it feels like.

I just wonder why it makes me lose my appetite. I'm gonna just try things out and see what works, i think it is just the mix of milk and protein together so i'm just gonna take it with juice.

Is there any scientific explanation you guys may know of as to why it kills my appetite?

Thanks for all the help

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
From Pubmed:
Whey protein is more satiating than other protein types, including casein. We hypothesized that enhanced satiety with whey protein is related to glycomacropeptide (GMP) content, a stimulator of cholecystokinin (CCK). OBJECTIVES: To investigate the role of GMP in whey protein-induced satiety, as measured by subjective satiety, CCK release and food intake at a test meal in healthy weight men and women. DESIGN: In a within-subjects design, twenty subjects (n=10 men, 10 women) consumed 1 of 4 preload shakes (300 mL, 1 MJ), 1 week apart. Preloads differed by protein source and content: Whey; whey protein isolate, Whey (-)GMP; whey protein without GMP, Control; low protein, GMP; GMP isolate. Protein energy of preloads was 44, 44, 2 and 3%, respectively. Subjective satiety and CCK were measured at 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and 105 min post-preload consumption. A lunch test meal was provided at 75 min. Food records were completed weekly. RESULTS: Pre-meal satiety was greater after whey protein preloads compared to Control and GMP preloads in women, but no difference was evident in men (sex by preload, p<0.03). CCK concentrations followed a pattern that predicted the subjective satiety in women, but not in men. Test meal intake was not different by preload; however, compensation relative to usual daily intake was achieved after whey-containing- and GMP-containing preloads in women and after GMP and Control preloads in men. CONCLUSIONS: GMP alone is not critical in pre-meal whey-induced satiety; however, it may have a unique role in compensatory intake regulation managing daily energy intake.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As far as hunger goes,just eat once you're hungry again.I feel thats a pretty damn good way of your body letting you know it's time.I have seen a few pros saying how they don't eat as much as most cause they're not hungry that often.Also one pro was saying that if you drink a big pwo shake it will be a little later before you get hungry again cause it will take longer to be digested.I still try and not go longer than 3 hr's without eating,but I kind of quit "setting my alarm"I have just been listening to my body lately.I still usually eat every 2 hr's though,just saying.You get hungry cause you need food.You get thirsty cause you need water.You get tired cause you need rest.

Just incase any newbies are reading this and thinking "thank god!"You need to train yourself to eat more often than normally.Your metabolism will speed up and next thing you know instead of dreading your meals,you will be thinking damn!Isn't it time yet!Then "listen to your body."Still never go more than 3 hrs without food/shakes.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
40g whey then a full meal an hour late is really pushing it as far as what ur stomach is going to be able to comfortably digest.

ide suggest cutting that down to about 25g whey, making sure to use a lactose free isolate... then toy around with the timing of your pwo meal you can push that out to 1.5-2 hours without any real determent to your 'window'

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
40g whey then a full meal an hour late is really pushing it as far as what ur stomach is going to be able to comfortably digest.

ide suggest cutting that down to about 25g whey, making sure to use a lactose free isolate... then toy around with the timing of your pwo meal you can push that out to 1.5-2 hours without any real determent to your 'window'
Yeah if you get the shake in you already took advantage of your window.With store bought shakes I coud finish a whole shake with 1020 cals,152 carbs,16 grams of fat(?)and 55 grams of protien and be hungry an hour later easy.With my homemade ones with milk,oats,peanut butter and protien.I'm almost never hungry an hour afterwards.Milk converts to a solid so it's more like a real meal.Plus the oats and peanut butter obvisouly.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget that its not blasphemy to just eat a normal meal afterwards. Studies may point to whey being superior, but the difference IMO is negligable.

But of course, I don't know what type of pain you're in. My guess would be that your getting cramping from the milk... a hard workout followed by some dairy never sounds appealing to me, nor to my digestive systm.

If your body is telling you something however, listen to it. You just may be better off with a normal meal instead. Most of the time, that's what I do... the only time I really resort to whey is when the workout was hard enough to stave off my appetite.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't forget that its not blasphemy to just eat a normal meal afterwards. Studies may point to whey being superior, but the difference IMO is negligable.

But of course, I don't know what type of pain you're in. My guess would be that your getting cramping from the milk... a hard workout followed by some dairy never sounds appealing to me, nor to my digestive systm.

If your body is telling you something however, listen to it. You just may be better off with a normal meal instead. Most of the time, that's what I do... the only time I really resort to whey is when the workout was hard enough to stave off my appetite.
Personally eating is the last thing I ever want to do after a wo.I don't get pain from shakes though or else I would train myself to eat afterwards.I start drinking one of my shakes when I wake up,then a couple drinks immediately before training.The the left over half(a whole shaker cup as the whole shake is a full blender)afterwrads.It doesn't bother me but I hear little guys at my gym saying that they cant eat or drink anything before a wo.......The they wonder why they look the same yr after yr when they lift in the early morning with no nutrition in them,and of course eat like a normal person......Then once again,wonder why they look like a normal person....:think:

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everybody for the help. Dig the quote by the way pantera. Wish my buddies would get that into their heads.

I'm gonna try 40 grams of protein on monday with just juice and a banana. Then i'll just see when i can eat a big meal after. I'm thinkin it was just the milk in the shake that did it.

Side question, i seem to have trouble finding it but i'm looking for the nutritional facts in an Empire Steak bowl. They sell it at Empire Burrito restaurant and it's good quality food. The one i get has brown rice, black beans, and then their "empire steak" haha with red salsa, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole. I asked the guy that works there if he had anything but he didn't. Just wondering if anybody had their nutritional facts on the off chance.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
From Pubmed:
Whey protein is more satiating than other protein types, including casein. We hypothesized that enhanced satiety with whey protein is related to glycomacropeptide (GMP) content, a stimulator of cholecystokinin (CCK). OBJECTIVES: To investigate the role of GMP in whey protein-induced satiety, as measured by subjective satiety, CCK release and food intake at a test meal in healthy weight men and women. DESIGN: In a within-subjects design, twenty subjects (n=10 men, 10 women) consumed 1 of 4 preload shakes (300 mL, 1 MJ), 1 week apart. Preloads differed by protein source and content: Whey; whey protein isolate, Whey (-)GMP; whey protein without GMP, Control; low protein, GMP; GMP isolate. Protein energy of preloads was 44, 44, 2 and 3%, respectively. Subjective satiety and CCK were measured at 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and 105 min post-preload consumption. A lunch test meal was provided at 75 min. Food records were completed weekly. RESULTS: Pre-meal satiety was greater after whey protein preloads compared to Control and GMP preloads in women, but no difference was evident in men (sex by preload, p<0.03). CCK concentrations followed a pattern that predicted the subjective satiety in women, but not in men. Test meal intake was not different by preload; however, compensation relative to usual daily intake was achieved after whey-containing- and GMP-containing preloads in women and after GMP and Control preloads in men. CONCLUSIONS: GMP alone is not critical in pre-meal whey-induced satiety; however, it may have a unique role in compensatory intake regulation managing daily energy intake.
I asked for a scientific explanation and i guess you gave it to me haha. Didn't understand some of it but thanks man.

LatsRus

LatsRus

Awards
I had this same issue but with ast brand, isopure, nitro-tech, i finaly am on ON and things are fine. i found out that i actually developed an allergy to soy, and all those other brands have higher amounts of soy lecithin in their whey proteins, to act as an emulisfier, once i changed i felt alot better, no more stomach pains, and no exhaustion from drinking a shake. but if yours was more allergy related you would be feeling it throuhgout the day at different points, not just when u drank a shake because ive had to drastically alter my diet because 90% of the **** in ur reg supermarket have soy in it. including canned tuna fish, wtf! anyway just a possibility. good luck, i hope u get it under controll

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
I had this same issue but with ast brand, isopure, nitro-tech, i finaly am on ON and things are fine. i found out that i actually developed an allergy to soy, and all those other brands have higher amounts of soy lecithin in their whey proteins, to act as an emulisfier, once i changed i felt alot better, no more stomach pains, and no exhaustion from drinking a shake. but if yours was more allergy related you would be feeling it throuhgout the day at different points, not just when u drank a shake because ive had to drastically alter my diet because 90% of the **** in ur reg supermarket have soy in it. including canned tuna fish, wtf! anyway just a possibility. good luck, i hope u get it under controll
Ya tell me about it. I was allergic to soy and corn as a kid. My brother was allergic to soy, corn, and apples. Haha how random is apples. But anywho we did this thing where we didn't eat soy or corn for six months and then slowly started up with it again. Long process but surprisingly worked.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That empire bowl sounds so good!Especially now that I'm dieting....:sad:

Jsherbro

Jsherbro

Awards
try the new isopure...goes down smooth...stays down smooth

LatsRus

LatsRus

Awards
Ya tell me about it. I was allergic to soy and corn as a kid. My brother was allergic to soy, corn, and apples. Haha how random is apples. But anywho we did this thing where we didn't eat soy or corn for six months and then slowly started up with it again. Long process but surprisingly worked.
thats great you can eat soy now, really allows u to enjoy alot more foods. I used to hate going to the supermarket because its like walking into a prison, loads of food that looks delicious, even healthy for you and would be great for a bb diet, but cant have it. i tried not eating soy/nuts for a year and slowly started eating peanut butter, 1tbspn/day, maybe it was too much, but within 2 days i had little itchy bumps, started breathing funny and felt like ****, i stopped eating pb and it mostly went away. how much and how often did u slowly start eating it and what food did u choose?

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
1. Try Lactaid milk (lactose free)...you may be intolerant of lactose
2. The 40 g whey protein + the milk is too much protein in one shake. Max protein should be 40-50g. Adjust down somewhat and see what happens.
3. You're not getting fiber in that shake (I'm assuming). If this is true, you need to get your fiber or else you're creating hell for your GI. I use either Metamucil SUGAR FREE orange fiber powder or a low sugar fiber cereal (blend it in a coffee grinder so it's super fine powder).

Good luck!

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
thats great you can eat soy now, really allows u to enjoy alot more foods. I used to hate going to the supermarket because its like walking into a prison, loads of food that looks delicious, even healthy for you and would be great for a bb diet, but cant have it. i tried not eating soy/nuts for a year and slowly started eating peanut butter, 1tbspn/day, maybe it was too much, but within 2 days i had little itchy bumps, started breathing funny and felt like ****, i stopped eating pb and it mostly went away. how much and how often did u slowly start eating it and what food did u choose?
I didn't have as bad reactions as you. But maybe next time try going like half a tablespoon every 2 or 3 days for six weeks or something. I was much younger and all i remember is my mommy wouldn't let me have it everyday haha.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
1. Try Lactaid milk (lactose free)...you may be intolerant of lactose
2. The 40 g whey protein + the milk is too much protein in one shake. Max protein should be 40-50g. Adjust down somewhat and see what happens.
3. You're not getting fiber in that shake (I'm assuming). If this is true, you need to get your fiber or else you're creating hell for your GI. I use either Metamucil SUGAR FREE orange fiber powder or a low sugar fiber cereal (blend it in a coffee grinder so it's super fine powder).

Good luck!

1) lactose intolerant was ruled out.
2) already fixin it. thanks.
3) i'll definitely add some fiber thanks bro