My muscles are soft, what can I use to harden them?

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
So ever since I started lifting my muscles have never been hard to the touch unless theyre flexed. I see guys all the time who are hard as rocks ALL THE TIME.

I want to feel like that.

Ive been told its from inadequate protein intake, which makes a bit of sense for me.

The only thing is every muscle in my body is always soft to the touch.

My question is, what kind of supplements are out there, other than steriods, if any, that can help to harden my muscles.

By the way, Im still a bit uneasy about the whole PH and PCT thing. Because the more Ive been reading, I know now I was really stupid for taking Andro back in 1999 for like 3-6 months from a friend of mine who said "It'll make you big" I would kill him if I saw him now.:bruce2:

So please guys, enlighten me...any help is appreciated greatly.

Lotto

Lotto

Awards
eat more carbs your glycogen stores are depleted thus making you look flat....and lift heavy your look swole

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I doubt you go around squeezing guys' muscles so see if they're "hard" or not. It's probably perception, especially if you're looking at dudes while they're working out (thus, getting a pump). I'm not saying you don't have smooshy muscles, we all do.

I also think that if someone has vasculature, it gives them a chiseled look (which doesn't mean "hard"). If you poked Ronnie Coleman's unflexed bicep, it wouldn't be hard to the touch. It'd probably be firm or something, but that's an extreme case (professional BBer).

But, to answer your question, try creatine or a Nitric oxide booster (arginine ethyl ester). If you go AEE route, get it capped (or cap it) as its powder tastes worse than a dog's a$$.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To get a harder look without a pump you'd need to lose bodyfat, add muscle, and work with heavy weights. As far as supplements that may help there is Anabolic Pump, X-factor, and most test-boosters seem to help with the harder feel when outside the gym.

With that said if your eating an inadequate amount of protein that probably means your whole diet is not very solid and that should definitely be taken care of first :cool:

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Also, w/o knowing your workouts and stats, it's hard to give targeted advice. But, as Bolt10 mentioned, heavy weights will affect muscle density. Try going heavy w/fewer reps and more power.

And yes, macronutrients are key. If you're a 180lb. mesomorph taking in 100g protein/day, that's probably too little. Try 1-1.5g/pound of bodyweight ( I didn't say LEAN bodyweight, just bodyweight). START with that and if necessary, + - adjust after a few weeks.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Right on guys, thanks for the advice. As far as touching other guys is concerned, I take x-rays so touching people is an everyday thing. I remember this one dude, his arms and shoulders made me jealous. He wasnt huge but he was definately way bigger than me and his shoulders felt WAY more firm, almost as firm as mine when I flex.

The whole nutrition thing I am certian is probably my biggest flaw. I surely dont have a "diet." I pretty much eat whats available. Not too much fatty stuff but like cereal, sandwiches, chicken(baked, or breaded) and I drink quite a bit of gatorate.

I would honestly rather stay away from creatine b/c it makes me pee like every 15 mins. I cant stand that. I dont really know much at all about NO products, except that theyre supposed to make you vascular like no tomorrow. Whats differant about the AEE? Is it kind of like CEE-no water retention?

Also, its hard for me to eat as much as most big guys. One cause I cant afford it just yet. Two, because I am just not hungry that often. Im used to going 6-8hrs without food.(Its terrible, I know)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the best answer is time and the use of heavy weight, (done with the correct form) you can't lift heavy all the time but it muscle density is increased by adding some heavy routines.

As far as supplementation goes, I find that drive has me feeling a little harder when I am on it. I like the full denser feeling I get from it.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
anabolic pump and or pslin. problem solved

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Having extremely hard muscles all the time is more a function of bf, as others noted, and IMO, how taught or stretched you are. Being extremely taught and hard is NOT all it is cracked up to be and leads to lots of discomfort and even misery if you injure yourself.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
anabolic pump and or pslin. problem solved
oh baby, you dont know the half of it. Ive been feeling SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO low on this cut. I feel like crap cause of my glycogen levels being **** and depleted. The full look I once had cause i was bulking and consuming 300g of carbs was no longer there. Pop an AP pill, get a banana and a cup of oats. PROBLEM SOLVED! It's amazing!

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Having extremely hard muscles all the time is more a function of bf, as others noted, and IMO, how taught or stretched you are. Being extremely taught and hard is NOT all it is cracked up to be and leads to lots of discomfort and even misery if you injure yourself.
You have a good point my friend. Now that youve brought that up, I am a pretty flexible dude, other than in my shoulders.

I should definately increase my working weights too. I usually try to get at least a working set of 12-15 and at least 10 in every exercise. The only drawback to lifting heavy is the need for spotters, as I always lift alone.

Maybe I will have to ask some ?s in the training forum as well on the topic of heavy lifiting and what not.

As for supps, Im seeing a lot of good words for Anabolic Pump. I will have to look into it.

Thanks guys:afro:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While it's true that a leaner body will look harder in general I don't think this is what he's getting at. I can look at 2 bodybuilders at the exact same body fat level and tell which one has the greater muscle density. This is a large factor in the appearance. This is also a consideration when designing routines. Heavy lifting will enahance muscle density. I struggled with this all the time I added muscle fairly easily it's making them look hard that was tough. I got down to contest weight but put me beside someone with good muscle density and I would look smaller and lest cut even though I was just as lean. Rock hard muslces look big and they make you look leaner. You will see that a lot of the guys who have been lifting a long time have this quality as it takes more time to increase muscle density than muscle size.

Of course if your not lean it doesn't matter that much either way.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While it's true that a leaner body will look harder in general I don't think this is what he's getting at. I can look at 2 bodybuilders at the exact same body fat level and tell which one has the greater muscle density. This is a large factor in the appearance. This is also a consideration when designing routines. Heavy lifting will enahance muscle density. I struggled with this all the time I added muscle fairly easily it's making them look hard that was tough. I got down to contest weight but put me beside someone with good muscle density and I would look smaller and lest cut even though I was just as lean. Rock hard muslces look big and they make you look leaner. You will see that a lot of the guys who have been lifting a long time have this quality as it takes more time to increase muscle density than muscle size.

X2 I agree and i do think that is what the OP is trying to get at. :afro:

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established

So basically I just have to keep at it for a couple more years. It makes sense when you say it takes longer to add muscle density than muscle size.
However, that still sucks for my original problem of being a softy. LOL

Thanks for the input:clap2:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Bio is a kill joy. AP or pslin problem solved:D

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So basically I just have to keep at it for a couple more years. It makes sense when you say it takes longer to add muscle density than muscle size.
However, that still sucks for my original problem of being a softy. LOL

Thanks for the input:clap2:
Well it will slowly get better over time so that should keep you motivated. Bodybuilding is a journey. It's a way of life, a long term persuit.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the AP/P-slin suggestion. Also, I've noticed a huge difference in muscle density since changing my routine to incorporate heavy/medium and light rep ranges every week. I'm not much bigger, but my muscles just feel more dense all the time.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahh wrong muscle lol

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Ipriflavone is renouned for this. Give the "methoxy" thread at Avant a read. Layne used it with success.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Natural Bodybuilding 3
Weight Loss 7
Nutrition / Health 10
vette00 Nutrition / Health 3
Nutrition / Health 10