Working Protein?

Kostas

Awards
hi bros , I am looking for a protein , which will have active ingredients and will work , cause the most protein supplements are just flours with minimum active ingredients and do not work. I do not want to waste my money for nothing! Any suggestions?

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
100% Premium Whey Protein by Body Fortress. Get the vanilla. 52g protein, 14 servings, $14 from walmart. Has some creatine and bcaa mixtures as well. Very good for the money.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hi bros , I am looking for a protein , which will have active ingredients and will work , cause the most protein supplements are just flours with minimum active ingredients and do not work. I do not want to waste my money for nothing! Any suggestions?

Where are you from?. Since when are protein powders just flours?. I have never heard of this or even seen a protein powder that listed flour as an ingredient. Also as far as protein goes what do you mean by you want it to "work"?. It is protein in a conveinient form. The only use for it is to get more protein in you diet when you don't have time to make a meal. Really what do you want from powdered protein?.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Maybe if you methylate tha flour it will make it work better...

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Maybe if you methylate tha flour it will make it work better...
No way, you know you could just suspend it in a healthy fat like fish oil and take it via injection, then you wouldn't need liver supps like cycle support in your shakes! I'm really pissed that protein isn't getting me 8+lbs in gains per month honestly. I'm thinking we should file a class action suit vs. foster farms. I should have known the gorton's fisherman's gear was bunk, he doesn't look swole at all...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he's probably talking about pre-packaged weight-gainers. Hopefully, at least, cuz I've never heard or encountered any actual "protein powder" that is "just flours."
However, I'm not sure I would reccommend the Body Fortress stuff at walmart, just cuz it has creatine already added into it, which I think they include in the total protein content. I prefer to add creatine myself in the amount I choose. Supplement Warehouse has 10lbs for $50 of MRM Whey. Good stuff, good deal.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think he's probably talking about pre-packaged weight-gainers. Hopefully, at least, cuz I've never heard or encountered any actual "protein powder" that is "just flours."
However, I'm not sure I would reccommend the Body Fortress stuff at walmart, just cuz it has creatine already added into it, which I think they include in the total protein content. I prefer to add creatine myself in the amount I choose. Supplement Warehouse has 10lbs for $50 of MRM Whey. Good stuff, good deal.

Nutraplanet is the best place to purchase your supplements.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I don't think he means 'flours' as in wheat flour, just the act of powdering. There's a few companies out there that process super high quality 'live proteins'. One serving is around 6 grams. They're used for healing and recovery purposes from disease and such. Needless to say, they're also stupid expensive. I don't know too much about them, but I'll see if I can track down this one website..

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
if you are meaning glycomacropeptides and immunoglobulins, then any good cross flow microfiltration whey isolate will have all of those subfractions intact. they "work" in the sense that they bolster your immune system and nutrient utilization but in terms of gains you probably won't actively see it. theres nothing "powerful" or magical about protein powders in general....just like protein from food, they provide the substrate(amino acids) that compose muscle tissue.

Kostas

Awards
I don't think he means 'flours' as in wheat flour, just the act of powdering. There's a few companies out there that process super high quality 'live proteins'. One serving is around 6 grams. They're used for healing and recovery purposes from disease and such. Needless to say, they're also stupid expensive. I don't know too much about them, but I'll see if I can track down this one website..
yes bro , you are right. You will not find a single protein that will say "hey people my aminoacids concentration per protein serving is too low to buy it , so don't buy it".

1)Active Ingredients: The most protein supps have a very low concentration of aminos.
2)The 80% or 90% protein doesn't mean anything to me , if the included aminos and vitamins exist in a very low concentration per protein serving or do not exist at all.
3) I can't prove that most proteins are flours , but my biochemist can. He tested many supps in his lab. As soon as I have in my hands some test labs , I will upload them.

thanks for your help lads.

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
yes bro , you are right. You will not find a single protein that will say "hey people my aminoacids concentration per protein serving is too low to buy it , so don't buy it".

1)Active Ingredients: The most protein supps have a very low concentration of aminos.
2)The 80% or 90% protein doesn't mean anything to me , if the included aminos and vitamins exist in a very low concentration per protein serving or do not exist at all.
3) I can't prove that most proteins are flours , but my biochemist can. He tested many supps in his lab. As soon as I have in my hands some test labs , I will upload them.

thanks for your help lads.
1)How do you figure? 20g of protein has 20,000mg of amino acids irregardless of brand OR source. the ratios of each amino acid and the types of amino acids vary but each given species of protein(ie,whey vs whey, soy iso vs soy iso,chicken vs chicken ETC) has the same amino profile. the difference comes in their moisture,fat and carbohydrate content(and certain aforementioned "active" subfractions in milk derived powders or isoflavones in soy derived powders).
2) This is redundant of my first response but 20g of actual whey protein from one brand is going to give the same results as 20g of whey protein from another source, provided the processing method is the same(and even thats splitting hairs)
3) there ARE indeed shady supplement companies that add carbohydrate fillers to their powders to reduce cost but it would be economic suicide for any of the major reputable brands to do so as they are tested incessantly.

My independant point of advice
4) don't obsess over small things such as "working" protein powders. MANY,many advanced bodybuilders(not to toot my horn,myself included) have cut back their intake of protein powders in favor of whole food protein sources and have seen better results.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
However, I'm not sure I would reccommend the Body Fortress stuff at walmart, just cuz it has creatine already added into it, which I think they include in the total protein content.
Think they include in total protein content? I'm confused of the connection you're drawing from creatine inclusion and overall amount of protein.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Think they include in total protein content? I'm confused of the connection you're drawing from creatine inclusion and overall amount of protein.
Alright, this was my thinking: the original body fortress whey protein that walmart and target and all those places carried contained 46g protein per 2 scoops. They "updated" and "improved" it by adding their "recovery blend", which increased the amount of protein per 2scoops to 52g. As of the last time I looked at the labelling (which honestly was a while ago as I only used the stuff when I was out of powder and really needed some) they did not make it clear where this additional 6g came from, but it's assumable that their whey did not increase in quality, so the additional g came from the added creatine (and glutamine? can't remember if that's in there as well).
Now, don't get me wrong that's not a big problem - I just prefer to have straight up whey, so that I can decide how much creatine and/or glutamine to add to my shakes, and not have it predecided by a mass manufacturer. That's all.

As for Kostas: man you have got me confused - I'm a molecular biologist and I am just not getting your point. Proteins are made of amino acids; a gram of protein, as ntrlmuscle said is composed of 1000mg of amino acids. You can't have any other than a 1:1 ratio of amino acids/protein. One entirely composes the other - they are essentially synonyms. Are you perhaps speaking of essential amino acids? Or Branched Chain Acids? Help me out - I'd like to figure this out and help you man. :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A long while back a retail owner who goes by the initials MM had protein companies tested for label accuracy. It drew quite the controversy on the boards as some big name companies did not meet up to their label claims. I think law suites followed and he discontinued to practice this testing.

Everything is a consumer risk.

Does Budweiser Light actually have xxx calories. Is the alcohol content accuate?

Does my coffee actually have caffeine in it? How much?

Does Coke Zero truely have Zero calories.

Are the NutraSweet/Sweet&Low/Splenda packets in my cupboard really sugar free sugar substitutes?

Is the gas I am putting in my car actually 89 octane?

Are the particulates and CO in the air I breath in my city really what they say they are?

The list goes on and on. It does really require some consumer confidence to even just get out of bed in the morning.

If someone is going to sweat this they either have more time on their hands then they should, are paranoid or have been screwed before. In my case...I am none of those.

Post up your credible lab analysis whenever you get it. It would be interesting.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe that is what he is implying. Correct me if I am wrong Kostas

ntrlmuscle

ntrlmuscle

Awards
A long while back a retail owner who goes by the initials MM had protein companies tested for label accuracy. It drew quite the controversy on the boards as some big name companies did not meet up to their label claims. I think law suites followed and he discontinued to practice this testing.

Everything is a consumer risk.

Does Budweiser Light actually have xxx calories. Is the alcohol content accuate?

Does my coffee actually have caffeine in it? How much?

Does Coke Zero truely have Zero calories.

Are the NutraSweet/Sweet&Low/Splenda packets in my cupboard really sugar free sugar substitutes?

Is the gas I am putting in my car actually 89 octane?

Are the particulates and CO in the air I breath in my city really what they say they are?

The list goes on and on. It does really require some consumer confidence to even just get out of bed in the morning.

If someone is going to sweat this they either have more time on their hands then they should, are paranoid or have been screwed before. In my case...I am none of those.

Post up your credible lab analysis whenever you get it. It would be interesting.
Excellent post, and very true. For all intents in purposes,though, its best to play the game of "likelihood" from each mfr. in terms of what they have to gain vs. what they have to lose. Lol, for so many of us bodybuilders that are OCD, we would mind**** ourselves every time we were going to think about consuming most anything that had no "conversion" process from nature(meat,veggies,grains). your point is certainly pertinent,though....i dont think people question enough or are too naieve in such regards.