Hemp Protein:

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
So I've seen that hemp protein is touted as the best. They say it's a 'raw protein' that is superior to others. Anyone know anything on it? I've never heard anything talked about it ever. I've been sent emails from some guy called Wade Mcnutt about it and I've also read a bit independently. Anyone tried/use it?

I know it contains raw proteins, fiber, and lots of nutrients. But to what degree will this supplement help with acheiving composition goals?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
it has a funny taste and makes you poop a lot due to the high fiber content. It does have a good fatty acid profile though.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'd imagine. hahahahah, pmiller. but do you still use it? did you find it worked well?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
No, I got a container a long time ago just because the Organic Food store by my house was closing and had it really cheap. I really did not enjoy it at all, the taste and texture were both really off and it dehydrated me a couple of times. I did not stick with it to gauge results. I am actually trying out a wheat protein isolate right now, and the taste is pretty good in my morning oats, I may make the my breakfast protein of choice.

rcaz01

Awards
Who sells the wheat protein it sounds interesting. Is it a buckwheat protein?

I have been trying pea protein from True Protein and it is pretty good. It has a unique taste that I was already used to from the greens product I was taking. The taste is hard to describe , kind of like the sweetness of peas without the nastiness. It seems to mix really well with other proteins and the flavor goes away when mixed so it is pretty mild.

I think overall the vegetable proteins get a bit overhyped since the vegan crowd is so desperate to find something that they can say is as good as meat protein. IMHO.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Universal makes the wheat protein and you can get 3lbs for about 20 bucks, if you do look into it, don't let it sit long after mixing with liquid because it does turn doughy.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
I tried some Hemp protein, because it was on the 50-cent table at my Vitamin Shoppe. I wish I had saved my 50-cents, lol. The stuff doesn't absorb into the water at all - it's like drinking sand. Nasty shlt.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I tried some hemp protein one time. I ended up watching "The Simpsons" for 5 hours and eating 3 boxes of cereal. Good stuff!

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
I read something one time about randy couture using it and claiming it is what helps him recover so fast in his 40's. He also said it is a "living" protein and that it has to be keep refrigerated. I have thought of trying it also, I found a place that has it for like $15 per pound.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
i used it when i was bulking, i would throw it in my gainer shakes the stuff does not mix at all. im not sure if it was any good because i only used it in my mixed shakes which contained alot of other proteins besides the hemp. btw way i was dropping bowl-benders after i drank the shakes but i don't know if it was the hemp causing it or the raw eggs i was throw in to the mix.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
i just picked a pound tub of organic hemp powder, it does have an interesting profile, but my main interest was to add some fiber to my shakes. As far as fatty acid profile it was ok; I also picked up some barlean's forti-flax to get some crunchy fiber and more fatty acids.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i might could try it out. the natty food store here in town's got it for about 12 bucks a pound. that's not too bad. sometimes i hear it's on sale for 10 bucks. i might try it for fun and a change. the body loves new fuels.