muscle milk no joke

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
first...im not one to post and share product reviews but....
second... im not one to spend extra $ for anything other than big bulk protein powder which one can get for low 20 range for 5lb/low 40 for 10lb but....

so with that said, i swallowed some pride and ordered muscle milk in choc and rootbeer along with usual supps in my last order. Are you serious??!!!!? i just tried a small serving on the side of my lunch and this sucka is the TRUTH. I know all the hype about how this is one of the better tasting out in the market and many believe that taste is not even a priority when obtaining a sound diet and supplementation. But their is NO doubt from now on, that an order of MM is gonna be a staple of my orders (got em for 18.90 flat) So had the rootbeer and i blalently did a double take look down into my blender cuz i had just experience the truth, the whole truth , and nothing....but the truth. Sorry bout this babble but man, im a new man today. :) x 100 = my happiness now. Sage

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
yeah its great stuff.. I used it for 2 months.. but its just getting to expensive.. not enough protein for the price.. i think im going to try hdt pro blend i think its about 15 55g servings for 20 bucks.. so if i take one scoop with two cups of milk itll give me a lot more protein and last a lot longer than muscle milk

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah ive heard noting but great things in regards to the taste of muscle milk. Im still very reluctant to give up my semi-decent tasting 5 lb tub of optimum 100% whey for 25 bucks though.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
It's motherfucking great. It really is. Even strawberry.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
thats the true test of how good tasting a protein powder brand is....by their strawberry flavor (ha)...indeed. sanosuke, problend (along w/ metrx protein plus) are the two blends ive had. its decent in taste (metrx much better) choc, mocha, van, straw in that order as far as problend goes. (most were given to be by a "gnc" friend) i figure, hdt's blend goes for 20 also...and im telling you, even though i have no complaints about problend nor metrx protien+, i would pay the same amount fo 20 for about 2/3 less serving for the MM to feel the enchantment of the taste. I cant believe im saying this....me, a dude that had bought everything in bulk size, minimum 5lbers.

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Biggin
I have not try it yet! I spoke to store owners that carry Muscle Milk and indeed stated that it does taste good but the thing has to much sweet or sugar,  I can related to Sage, I also change my mind about certain MRP, once I try it was willing to pay the premium for the taste.  Sage you and I like to ride the same boat when it comes to bargain! 

Clintdogg

Clintdogg

Awards
if i could only order one, which flavor would you suggest i get. root beer, or chocolate?

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Clintdogg
if i could only order one, which flavor would you suggest i get. root beer, or chocolate?

personally ive tried choc, vanilla, and strawberry.. i liked the strawberry and the choc the best..  vanilla is also good but not as good as the other 2 imoh...

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Yeh, understand that I never, ever bought strawberry anything, as they always seemed to produce floods of vomit. I would always rather have taken my chances with chocolates because they are almost universally palatable at least, so that's all I ever bought. I freaked out after tasting MM strawberry though, and since they have good interesting flavors that cannot be found with other brands I would suggest something other than chocolate for a nice changeup (if in fact you do like strawb milkshake taste, bc that's honestly what the bitch tastes like :eek: )

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ooopppppp....just had a serving of the chocolate. :eek: its chocolate, but doesnt taste like chocolate (if that makes sense...which it doesnt) its unreal. the rootbeer is enchanting but i would have to give the nod to choc just for the reason that possibly, one could lose their interest in the unique taste of rootbeer while choc you can have forever and i see not getting bored with it. ive heard good things about their other "non-traditional" flavors as well. banana, blueberry, mocha and with how these two taste...i am not suprised in the rave reviews on those.:eek:

BigBenn

Awards
I'm putting in my order for some choco and mocha, where do you guys suggest to order from (cheapest, fastest shipping)

FishBonz

Just bought a bottle of the MM Blueberries & Cream...I'ts awesome. A great change of pace from the choc, strawberry, etc.
Great stuff ! !

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by BigBenn
I'm putting in my order for some choco and mocha, where do you guys suggest to order from (cheapest, fastest shipping)
id go with dps.. cheapest ive found and it ships really fast

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ive got everyone beaten as far as price goes. For MM, massnutrition has it for 19.95. but than go to easypricematch.com (naturalhigh) and buy it through there where they will take another 5% off the 19.95 or any other purchase. Thats why i finally got off the bulk protein only phase and got two for like 18.90 or so each.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
dps is 19.95 as well.. only thing its dps shipping is kinda expensive.. not too bad.. but it ships really fast so i say its worth it

lovetoeat

Awards
The chocolate is very good, banana is very good and the peanut butter is just ok. Those are the only flavors I've tried.

IMPQ

Awards
you should get banana and strawberry...and then mix a scoop of each....yummm!!:)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ya thats the stuff. the endocreatine they advertise as an element of cytosports product that would enhance your use of creatine, for the utmost benefits. ive heard the batches of late does not contain this but the source i heard this from isnt solid. but whatever the case, i dont really care if the endcreatine works or not (doubt any amount, esp. the amount being minimal, would yield in upping your creatine benefits). But again, as far as taste...its worth the try. better prices around than bb though.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
examples would be............ lol
*cough*everywhere*cough*

dpsnutrition, muscleshoppe, take those prices to easypricematch as sage has suggested. i fucking love muscle milk, by the way. beautiful, tasty goodness.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

*cough*everywhere*cough*

dpsnutrition, muscleshoppe, take those prices to easypricematch as sage has suggested. i fucking love muscle milk, by the way. beautiful, tasty goodness.
(nod) agree w/ the choices. others are massnutrtion and musclemagnepa for MM. all 4 sites are around 20

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by sage

(nod) agree w/ the choices. others are massnutrtion and musclemagnepa for MM. all 4 sites are around 20

I am going to Mass Nutrition to pick up a bottle next year, they are so close to my house that I don't order by mail!

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Rhinoman

I am going to Mass Nutrition to pick up a bottle next year, they are so close to my house that I don't order by mail!
Like I said I went pick a bottle of Muscle Milk, Now the smell of chocolate was nice, however the taste was similar to the optimun 100%  natural whey protein, so I was not much impress by this product another thing I found was 18 grams of fat per serving that is a lot of fat and according to the label is good fat to loose weight. Oh well that is just me!

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established

Like I said I went pick a bottle of Muscle Milk, Now the smell of chocolate was nice, however the taste was similar to the optimun 100%  natural whey protein, so I was not much impress by this product another thing I found was 18 grams of fat per serving that is a lot of fat and according to the label is good fat to loose weight. Oh well that is just me!
Ahhh!! Not another fat-phobic in our presence...Stupid mainstream media...

A diet consisting of less that 100 grams of fat per day suppresses testosterone and hormonal homeostasis.

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Sheesh

Ahhh!! Not another fat-phobic in our presence...Stupid mainstream media...

A diet consisting of less that 100 grams of fat per day suppresses testosterone and hormonal homeostasis.
Well fat is good, but I prefer other methods of getting it and no from my shakes, that is me, and only me, so I will suggest to be wise to revise your comments, since they seem a lit bit off context. And to put it in another way I know my Sh**t.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established

Well fat is good, but I prefer other methods of getting it and no from my shakes, that is me, and only me, so I will suggest to be wise to revise your comments, since they seem a lit bit off context. And to put it in another way I know my Sh**t.
I never doubted you.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I have never purchased the product b/c of all the fat in it. I know it's supposed to be the "good" fat but this is Muscle Milk that says this. It kind of makes me wonder. I am like Rhinoman and don't really care to get my fat from a protein shake.

u4ik_rage

Awards
I've gone through about 30 bottles of this stuff in the last 14 months. If anyone would've gotten fat off of it it would've been me, but I'm still slim as ever.

noob

Awards
I've had a problem with my muscle milk (only used one serving)

I put it in 9 ounces of milk and it was so unbelievably thick. it had the potential to be great I think but why is it so thick??? is it better in water??? or something like 16 ounces of milk??? and break it up?

u4ik_rage

Awards
I use a shaker with a filter so I don't have this problem. I guess it is kind of thick though.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

I put it in 9 ounces of milk and it was so unbelievably thick. it had the potential to be great I think but why is it so thick??? is it better in water??? or something like 16 ounces of milk??? and break it up?
i dont find muslcemilk to be thick at all. although its protein makeup is of casien/cassienates and whey conc/isolate, putting in the recommended amount of milk/water with the two scoops, always turns up even and smooth (not thick) but hey, you answered your ?....drop in more milk/water. The taste of MM is very strong so you wont hurt the richness of musclemilk by adding a couple more ounces. Sage

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established

Label says 12-16 oz. of liquid. Either milk or water is fine. 9 oz. just isn't enough liquid...

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Having an elitefitness email account, I get their spam newsletter, this month I got this one which kind of peaked my curiousity. Its got a quote from our friend Nelson Montana, but its interesting none the less. I can pick up some Muscle Milk locally, so I thought I might try some out.
Dear friend and fellow athlete,

My friend Nelson Montana, author of the controversial eBook, The Bodybuilding Truth, was the first to turn me on the revolutionary bodybuilding work of the 1960's nutritionist Rheo H. Blair. Not only for building muscle, but in particular for getting leaner, Blair's protein formulations were unsurpassed. What's more, he designed his proteins in the 60's -- years before Weider, and decades before Philips.

So why has no one ever heard of him? Quite simple really. Blair's formulations were high protein and also high fat. Yes, you read that right, he made a high fat protein powder.

At a time when protein supplements were made from soy flour, Blair experimented with a combination of milk, whey and whole egg in an effort to match the amino acid ratio of human mother's milk -- which he believed to be the perfect food for anabolic muscle growth. Blair wrote: "Mothers milk is the perfect food for human growth -- designed by nature. The food closest to it isn't cows milk, but the egg."

There were several other reasons, in addition to the high fat one, that kept Blair's protein from catching on. First, compared to Weider's soy flour protein, Blair's muscle building miracle was expensive. But perhaps the biggest reason Blair's protein never caught on was that to put it mildly, Blair was crazy. In fact, Rheo H. Blair wasn't even his real name. Blair was born Irwin Johnson, and his saga is unbelievable.

Here's what Nelson Montana wrote on the subject in the following excerpt from his eBook The Bodybuilding Truth:

"While Weider cornered the supplement buying public by utilizing his magazines to bombard the readers with articles that always seemed to get around to plugging a Weider product, there was a young nutritionist/chemist that was taking the concepts of supplementation a lot more seriously. Irwin Johnson believed that the first food we ingest to induce growth, mothers milk, would also encourage more muscle growth in adults. Enzymes found in milk such as colostrum and lactoferrin were also thought to have powerful immune system enhancing properties. He came to the conclusion that cow's milk did not have the same amino ratios that human milk possessed and set about 'manipulating' the amino acid complex by mixing specific amounts of dried whole egg into the whole milk protein."

"Johnson was also the first supplement manufacturer who understood the importance of hormones in the development of muscle tissue and discovered that the fat in milk could increase hormonal production. For this reason, he recommended that his protein be taken with cream. He insisted that no one implementing his program should eat fruit of any kind! The nutritional authorities at the time scoffed at Johnson's theories and were convinced that the liberal use of cream would add unwanted fat. As it turned out, Johnson's clients were losing fat at an alarming rate! What Johnson was advocating was strikingly similar to what is now known as the ketogenic diet. Variations of Johnson's plan are known as the Atkins diet, the Zone diet, and the high fat diet. Whatever you call it, it was a low carb, high protein, high fat strategy for ultimate muscle growth and optimum fat loss - and it worked. Health faddists, celebrities and professional bodybuilders from around the country flocked to Johnson for his expertise and his protein product."

Did I mention that Rheo H. Blair, born Irwin Johnson, was crazy? Here's what Montana writes:

"Johnson was an eccentric man and a staunch believer in the occult. On the advice of his astrologer, he was told that in order to be successful he would need to change the amount of letters in his name and add more "R"s. (in the first and last letter's of his name) By the time Johnson was ready to sell his product nationwide, it carried his new name, Rheo. H. Blair."

The models, stars, and top bodybuilder's of the day knew that Rheo Blair's protein was vastly superior to the cheap soy powder that Weider pushed. But, Weider had the money, the magazines, and the stable of top bodybuilders now led by the charismatic Arnold Schwarzenegger, and so, given Weider's influence, Blair's protein has been reduced to a footnote in the long and sordid history of bodybuilding.

Of the proteins on the market today, the one that comes closest to the original Blair formulation is Muscle Milk from Cytosport. Muscle Milk is an "evolutionary" muscle formula promoting efficient fat burning, lean muscle growth and fast recovery from exercise. Metabolically favorable ingredients stimulate growth and recovery in a similar manner to mother's milk nourishing a baby.

Muscle Milk contains 18g of "lean lipids" in each two scoop (75g) serving. The lipids are trans fat free and technically cannot be absorbed as bodyfat. The lipids are made of MCT's (medium chain trygycerides), enzyme engineered polyunsaturated long-chain vegetable oils, canola oil and sunflower oil. The lipid profile enables muscle milk to help you burn fat instead of store it.

In case you are not familiar with MCT's, they are a predigested "fatless fat." Human mother's milk is 20% MCT's and MCT's promote a positive nitrogen balance -- aiding in the building of lean muscle mass.

The long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in muscle milk are added using a special enzyme engineering process. This process makes them even more functional for fat burning, as well as being a natural anti-inflammatory and enhancing retention of the minerals needed to promote muscle contraction.
In terms of the protein in Muscle Milk, it too mimics human mother's milk. Human milk is composed of highly unique and complex proteins, peptides, and amino acids, which is why it grows human muscle tissue so rapidly. The "EvoPro" protein in muscle milk is a custom evolution-based protein, peptide and amino acid matrix designed to closely reflect the nitrogen components and ratios found in human mother's milk (Micellar Alpha and Beta Caseins and Caseinates, Whey Concentrates rich in Alpha-Lactalbumin, Whey Isolates, Whey Peptides, Purified Bovine Colostrum Extract rich in Secrotory IgA and IGF-1, Glutamine Peptides, L-Taurine, Lactoferrin).

Lastly, Muscle Milk contains a vitamin and mineral premix and a patent-pending, medically proven creatine that they call EndoCreatine.

And the taste is great. I know from years of work with athletes, that if a product tastes poorly, no one will buy it more than once. I can honestly say with 100% sincerity, that Muscle Milk is one of the best tasting proteins I have ever tried.

This week, we launched my new nutritional supplement web site, EliteFitnessNutrition.com. We carry all the major brands at everyday savings of 20% to 60% off list prices. The Muscle Milk list price is: $39.99, but we carry it at the everyday low price of: $26.38 (You save: 34%) Today and for the next 72 hours only, readers of Elite Fitness News get a $10 off coupon when you buy four containers of Muscle Milk. Just go to EliteFitnessNutrition.com in the next 72 hours and use the Muscle Milk $10 off coupon code: "mmefn"

Or, today, you can get free shipping on all orders over $49! Just use the coupon code "freeshipping" when you check out! Coupons may not be combined, so use the code that saves you the most!
This is pimping their new supplement shop, but I thought it was kinda interesting none the less.

Some people think that San's Infusion or Syntrax's Isomatrix are superior to MM, but they're really similar with just slightly different ingredients. I asked Customizer if he was planning to get Colostrum in, so we could make our own custom MM probably cheaper. Lemme know what you guys think!

PoolMan

Awards
That is an interesting article. The fat content does not bother me with MM, or the Cyto Gainer (I use both). But I am sure my good/bad fat intake is probably higher than it should be per day.

The custom MM does sound nice though!

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I agree Pogue, but I've already said how much I love the MM, good article... custom MM would be interesting... not sure that it would taste nearly as good ;) ... or actually that it would be cheaper unless bought in hugeass bulk... this is intruiging though

PoolMan

Awards
I knew Biggin would see this! :) Trying Strawberry soon!

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Fat Content TOO HIGH? I'm at around 100g per day, I am losing bodyfat and gaining muscle, and on top of that I am 2 weeks postcycle right now. Remember were talking about fat that your body can use not Micky D's.

RippedUp

Awards
Fat in absolute terms is fine. It all starts to deteriorate when you mix it with carbs - and more specifically high GI carbs such as malto.. (+ 0 fibre)

That's why Muscle Milk sucks as a nutritional tool. Apart maybe for the taste...

Ah, and MCTs are not "good fat". They're just another source of energy. Good fats are omega-3, CLA etc.

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I just bought MM for the first time last week. The cookies n' cream is like a milk shake just like they say. The chocolate peanut butter on the other hand is just another chocolate peanut butter protein shake. But as far as I'm concerned, cookies n' cream will always be in my kitchen as long as they make it.;)

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
blair's protein was very popular with John McCallum in his "keys to progress" series and was oft-mentioned

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
If the price of muscle milk is a problem for anyone I go w/ a half serving (one scoop), and add my bulk whey to the shake. Still tastes great, and doubles your servings.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Glad I found this thread--indeed, Muscle Milk kicks much ass. Comparing the taste of MM to other protein powders just isn't fair. When you drink a Muscle Milk shake you feel like you're cheating.

I've tried the Mocha Joe, and loved it-->it was my breakfast for a month. It has some caffiene, too, so I dropped the morning coffee.

Can't really emphasize how much better the taste is until you've tried it.

Thanks so much for the best-price link. They're now down to $17.99 per tub, or $1.20 per serving, which fits my budget no problem.

Ivan Drago

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever seen the bigger containers for sale? I don't know what the actual size is, but I'd guess around 5lbs or so.

I saw them in the background at Bill Romanowski's house when they were interviewnig him during the superbowl a couple years back. I'm guessing he has the bigger tubs because I believe he was sponsered by them.

Just wondering, because I go through the 2.48lb tubs so quickly.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Never seen them, would buy on the spot if I did.

I like the fact that MM has extra calories that aren't just a ton of Maltodextrin.

I might try pjflynn's half/half idea to make it last longer.

Ivan Drago

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Me neither, and I've searched pretty hard all over the net.

I'm pretty sure Romanowski had one because he was sponsored by them.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
They don't make it in a larger size...I know I've asked them, but they probably customize one for Romanowski...